Space in the Clio
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Space in the Clio

Hi everyone

I contemplated putting this in the Renault forum but decided to put it in General so more people see it.

Last night the whole family was going out for dinner and seeing we don't have the XM anymore, we all jumped into my sister's Clio.

Advertisement

My sister drove, my other sister sat in the front, and mum, dad and myself were in the back. Whilst it wasn't what I'd call roomy, I was quite surprised! There was easily enough shoulder room for us, and head room was 100mm+ for me in the back, once you're in past the 'drop' at the doorway.

Even more surprising was the performance of the little 1.4 with 5 of us in there. I drove home, and dad sat behind me, and he still had adequate legroom. Not heaps, but enough that he could still get in and out with no problems. I'm 5'11 and so is he.

While I wouldn't want to drive to Brisbane in it with 5 people, it was a nice comfortable drive to Dee Why from here (about 30 mins each way).

I guess what I'm saying is all these reports of there being not enough space in the back aren't entirely correct. It's perfectly adequate for a small car for running the family around town. You wouldn't take a small car like that out of town with 5 people in it anyway, as the boot wouldn't be big enough to fit enough stuff in it.

Hope someone contemplating a Clio finds this useful!
    Derek

DeKa:
    Hope someone contemplating a Clio finds this useful!
    Derek
    I did

Thanks!

I remember an early test of the Clio (I think it was an RS) where Wheels magazine (yes, THAT Magazine) said the space in the rear was not bad, I think they had three adults accross for a short journey without any major discomfort.

I think they may have subsequently changed their position on that statement, Renault mustn't be spending enough on advertising with them! eek!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

UFO drove a rental one in SA - he was very impressed, but said the only downside was that there was not enough room for his big feet!

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

I still find the Clio one of the worst packaged superminis at the moment You also have to remember it's also one of the older designs too.

A 206 feels roomier, a Barina feels roomier, and it makes sitting in the rear of a Jazz seem like your living room.

Even if you add the dimensions up - the Clio doesn't do very well. My main quibble is headroom. I still remember the salesman sitting in the rear leaning, and saying "Ohh, it's no problem, I could sit here for hours" - hardly convincing! Generally I'm happy if I don't have my head knocking about.

The poles have moved. In the case of some cars, quite far indeed. Whilst cars are growing in external size, cars like the Civic really display the improvements in packaging.

As Wheels said, the Clio's packaging reflects a generation behind design.

Bear in mind, when I talk about headroom, I'm used to a giraffe 307 here

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Room shroom, lol. True room is always a factor in small cars, But the Sport is VERY good in terms of Bang for buck, the 206's head rests at both fron and back are too low, The Jazz i satin was OK but tipically japanese built for midgets, But the 307 is still king daddy over all these cars mentiones when it comes to room.
    xqisid.
    I love the dash, much better than my S16
    ... ptui!

1000+ Posts
    Justin,I'm not defending the car, but I thought I'd post the above message in the hope others might find useful.I'm by no means tall, but I'm not short either, and neither is my dad. Neither of us had any trouble at all in the rear of the car. Perhaps your salesman was 6'2" ?There certainly isn't as much space in the Clio as in my 306, but then again the Clio is alot smaller. Like I said, the Clio is a good small car that can easily fit 5 adults for a short trip, but you would probably be a bit cramped for a long journey.Derek

i dont think comparing the 307 to the Clio is just, the 307 is much bigger... is quite a big car really!

Good to see the Clio proved to be up for the journey.

DEKA: Out of curiosity did you have the Air conditioning on for the trip? and is it an Auto ro a Manual? i am curious as to how the 1.4 went!

I never said it was fair comparing the Clio to the 307

If you can fit in the Clio rear comfortably, great! But I still stand by the fact I find it squeezy, and little I've read is to the contrary of that. I really do find it in the rear one of the squeeziest superminis out there.

After coming back from DECA, I don't have any reservations about the Clio Sport's capabilities! Not that I ever did have any

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I think the car was a manual wasnt it? Frokm memory.
    I have been in the back of the clio and it is adequate. Maybe if 5 adults got into it & drove to Brisbane might be an issue.
    Driving around Sydney it would be more than adequate.
    I have driven my R19 to Surfers and it had 3 guys in it and the boot was full of bags and junk and it is an auto and it went fine,no worries.
    I would think the clio would be much the same really. (maybe the clio has got less boot space than a R19 sedan(chamade)...

1000+ Posts
    Xsara, it's a manual and yes aircon was on. I taught my sister well when I realised she was going to buy a manual!It went very well, like I said. I was up to 70km/hr from a stand still at quite a respectable rate going up the loooong steep hill from Pittwatter Road when heading west along Waringah Road for those who know Sydney roads. I changed back to 4th and overtook a Landcruiser V8 (mwuahaha) with no worries at all.I wouldn't call it quick acceleration, but it surprised me for a 1.4 I've only ever driven the car with myself and 1 other in it before.Derek.[edit: i wonder why my replies are coming out with no enters to space them out? disappro ]

<small>[ 02 December 2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: DeKa ]</small>

Just been surfing around as you do and came across this discussion on the renault_ Clio, became a bit interested as a few aussies start to talk about flashing and waving (Onya Aussie), also maybe a valid reason why Clio drivers use there fog lights without fog :p Earlier post discussing a Tuned 306 one of the replies by Xsara was that you Julian question

<a href="http://gallery.consumerreview.com/car/gallery/files/Renault172.asp" target="_blank">Renault lead the 'Wave'</a>

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I am confused now.... what did i do?

Xsara:
    I am confused now.... what did i do?
    Settle Julian, wink this a 306 thread on the same site as above, I noticed a post by Xsara and was asking was this you?? Sheesh now I'm confused :p

<a href="http://gallery.consumerreview.com/car/gallery/files/MYP3061.asp" target="_blank">306 same site</a>

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

not me :p i think..... frown

Thread Information