Was about to post "URGENT..NEED HELP" but it's ok...
  • Register
  • Help

Was about to post "URGENT..NEED HELP" but it's ok...

I got into my 206 this morning after driving it home from the pub last night (no I wasn't drinking).

I turned the key and the car wouldn't kick over, I just thought it was really cold, so kept trying, it would splutter for a second and cut out again. I am like WTF!!!?

Advertisement

I chekced the spark plugs, was all firing fine, the only thing I could think of was that it was maybe a timming problem.

I called my mate and describbed the problem to him being "feels like when you run outa fuel" he said it could be the injectors or the fuel line is dirty... I agreed. Then I said "maybe it's outa fuel. ehehehhe"

I checked the fuel guage and it had only just clicked over onto the reserve, I get about 35-40km's outa my reserve tank and I rember the car didn't surge or anything on my way home, so I knew it wasn't the fact I was low on fuel.

The car was parked on a hill and on an angle. I am about to call NRMA or something when I decide to go up the the petrol station with a jerry can and get some fuel.

I filled the car up with 5 liters of fuel and turned the key, the car blue some oil out the exhaust for half a second as it kicked over and purred like a kittten the fuel guage then dropped to below the reserve line.

My fuel guage must have jammed or something and was reading wrong, all I had was an empty tank!!!

Or maybe it was due to the violent slope my car was parked on

FEW mallet
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Pfew....glad you're OK, you had me worried for a pico-second there :p
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Still got me worried... IMHO you don't go pulling bits off a car that was running when you parked it.

And if it's ever the 'timming' as 'describbed' you'd have to wonder what happened to it while it was parked.

A very well know problem to owners of fuel injected Citroen DS'. With less than a quarter of a tank, the car will run fine until you stop on a slope, as the system is capable of circulating enough fuel to keep the car running, but once you stop that's it.

The main problem is that the fuel pickup in the DS is designed for LH drive, with roads cambered the other way - it will work fine then, but is defeated by our roads sloping the other way - I would hope that it is not the same problem with a 206, but would not be surprised if that is what it was.

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Fellow Frogger!
    happended to me in my 306 when i let if go below 1/4. However I rarely go below a 1/4 and that's another reason why

Yeah I have never had it happen before, it had me very very worried.

The wierd thing was the car didn't surge once prior to turning it off...

I knew it had to be outa fuel, as if it could be any other problem...I mean it IS a Peugeot we are talking about here!!!
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i have said this before but will put it in again for anyone new in here
    try not to let your tank run into the reserve as the in tank pump needs fuel around it too keep it cool when running
    if you let the car run into the reserve you WILL shorten the life of your pump
    keep the tank at least 1/4 full to be on the safe side all the time and let the pump have as much cooling fuel around it as you can as i am sure you are not going to be happy when one day you go out to start your car only to find that you are going to be up for a new pump
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

True.

Thanks for the advice, I will try and keep it about 1/4 full in future

I usually do. The one time I let it go onto reserve, I knew there was a petrol station on my way home from work...I got there and they were out off all premium fuel, and only had 1 unleaded pump left.

So I drove on and ran out as I drove up the hill on the western distributer after you come off the harbour bridge! had just enough momentum to get me to the crest of the hill and slowly glided down were I parked the car kind of outa harms way. Then bolted across all 10 lanes of the freeway and walked 1.5 km's to the petrol station then back again NEVER AGAIN!!!!

luckily I had two mates with me, one stayed with the car to fend off any tow trucks and the other ran with me to the servo wink
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

XTC
    n b j:
    Thanks for the advice, I will try and keep it about 1/4 full in future
    Depending on where the pickup is, running a tank low can encourage the crap sitting in the bottom of it to be picked up ... not good for pump or engine.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

you parked facing up the hill?? didn't you..
    very same thing hapened to me, the pick-up in the tank isn;t in the best position. I had enough fuel, just over reserve, but i parked facing up the hill, car wouldn't start....
    waited till the person parked behind me moved on. I rolled slowly back to flat ground, let the pump do its priming and hey presto, she bangs! she bangs!......
    cheers chris
    ... ptui!

Had a call out from Mrs GB about aweek ago, she explained that she had just parked the car for two minutes and now it wouldn't start...

I arrived on scene to see the car parked facing upward on what would be one of the steepest hills in Brisbane, to add to this she was parked with wheels in the gutter so the car was leaning with the road camber. As with Chri'S16 above I popped it into neutral and let it roll back onto level ground, turned the key and it fired first shot.. Mrs GB was very impressed blush

Me thinks Citroen still have the fuel feed on the wrong side for right hand drive whip

***Word of caution here, without engine running the C5 (and most modern cars) has no power assisted brakes, keeping the car from running away on that hill had me fully stomping on the brake pedal, if you have to do this ensure you have a plan 'B' wink

Yes better to keep your tank above 1/4 full, as my old dad used to say it costs no more to top up a half empty tank than it does to half fill an empty one question question

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO
    Yes, the XM has the same prob. I only just made it to Engadine Shell on Monday night. I was on my way up to the club meet and I thought I had enough in the tank to get to Engadine to get Optimax as I didn't have time to drive the 10km in town during the day to get good stuff. Halfway along the trip that little orange guy with his dick stuck in his ear shows up on the dashboard (old joke, must tell it one day) and the last few rises into Engadine were somewhat anxious.

On the last two just as I crested them I could feel the engine sort of sagging. eek!

The 85l tank took about 87l of fuel!! phew!!!! approve

It would have been embarassing for the Club Pres to be late to the meeting after running out of fuel

The XM is affected by uphill or left slope on low tanks. mallet
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I wonder how Jim Reddiex felt about this when he ran out of petrol on the way to Kano?

Yes I was facing up hill on a slope

about the brakes not working properly when the car is not on....been there done that, I had to roll my car forward once to let a guy out and I stopped just in time before hitting another car, I had to push the brake into the floor and my car still only stopped gradually, the handbrake did the rest
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

The bloody servo on the 604 stopped working a while before I stopped driveng it. It is amazing just how heavy the brakes are. I am used to driving non assisted brakes, I learned to drive on an old drum brake Holden, And the Transit and 403 are non assisted discs, but the transformation of the 604 when it lost power assistance was amazing eek!
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information