latest wheels issue:some interesting reports
  • Register
  • Help

latest wheels issue:some interesting reports

GM s latest v6, the hfv6 (high feature v6)which is heading our way (2004)wil feature larger bore fly by wire throtle valve (chasing 200 kW),each plug gets a coil,variable inlet manifold(no mention of variable exhaust tuning),four cams,four valves per cylinder,variable timing,aluminium pistons....(story by john carey)

Alfa 147 gta gets the 3.2 v6 with 184kw,,,crazy thing is its only 50kg lighter than the 156GTA,
    both take 6.3 to get to 100...I suppose it ll be easier to park....(info peter robinson)

Porche 4 wd and the vw touareg share IDENTICAL doors (joint project)...the touareg can be had with a 4.9 l bi turbo V10 DIESEL...i ll repeat that again D I E S E L....it delivers 230 kw and will get you to 100km in 7.8secs max speed 225
    (source peter robinson)

Advertisement

0 points scored by crv,monaro/hsv,tiburon,es300,
    benz clk,mini,206cc,laguna,saab 9-3,forester,polo...during first round of voting..

BA FALCON team of designers mostly AUSTRALIANS but....KEY contributions came from senior designers ,engineers and execs are from england holland and the US of A (story by john carey definitely supports JUSTINs argument in reference to high tech : dollar value ratio....)

PS...not a bad read, i just hope i havent infringed on any copyright laws....

cheers...

I find it disappointing that Renault still seem to have quality problems with the Laguna and Clio. Hopefully the Wheels COTY test cars of the three Laguna's all with problems like saggy headlining, and odd electrical problems on two won't get any worse, but the electric assisted steering going out on two of the Clio's would be cause for concern.

The Ford Falcon also seemed to have its problems with the two recalls issued, but poor reputations on low volume cars seem to take a lot longer dispel.

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Also bear in mind that the Laguna & Clio have been in production for some time already.

How many recalls did the COTY of 1998 VT Commodore get?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Simon:
    I find it disappointing that Renault still seem to have quality problems with the Laguna and Clio. Hopefully the Wheels COTY test cars of the three Laguna's all with problems like saggy headlining, and odd electrical problems on two won't get any worse, but the electric assisted steering going out on two of the Clio's would be cause for concern.
    It's amazing how these test cars seemed to have such significant problems (Laguna: windscreen wipers turning on when steering column adjusted X 2, headlining sagging - Clio: Power steering failure X 2)

What are the odds of a dud batch being delivered to the COTY testing team? You'd think we'd be hearing all about it now if the cars being sold had such significant problems, especially considering all the magazines have reviewed them individually, along with a couple of "group" tests.

Bad luck?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

[quote]Europa:
    Originally posted by Simon:
    [qb]
    What are the odds of a dud batch being delivered to the COTY testing team? You'd think we'd be hearing all about it now if the cars being sold had such significant problems, especially considering all the magazines have reviewed them individually, along with a couple of "group" tests.

Bad luck?
    Don't think it is bad luck, seems to be poor quality control to me, or just a bad day with the RHD battch for AUS. Regardless there does seem to be a problem. There was also the Megane Cab that Wheels tested that had problems with the roof, also there seems to be a problems with the EMS on RS Clio S2's.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Simon:
    Don't think it is bad luck, seems to be poor quality control to me, or just a bad day with the RHD battch for AUS. Regardless there does seem to be a problem. There was also the Megane Cab that Wheels tested that had problems with the roof, also there seems to be a problems with the EMS on RS Clio S2's.
    Hmm, poor quality control, bugger. I'm now waiting for the ACA report..

<small>[ 02 December 2002, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Europa ]</small>
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

nJm
    Often the cars given to the press are in pretty bad condition. I remember with the release of the C3 many journos found them to have terrible build quality - which was the result of many engineers pulling the test cars to bits and putting them back together again. Often the press cars aren't always in the best condition. I think Wheels mentioned something about some of the BAs they tested being these cars.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information