auto problem (non froggy)
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

auto problem (non froggy)

I've got a bit of a non-froggy problem for you to diagnose . My parents have a 1994 Magna V6 with 147,000km. Just in the past few days the auto has been misbehaving - only upshifting between 3700 to 4200 rpm and when it does so there is quite a delay before the next gear engages (and does so with a really rough lurch of the car, like someone has come off the clutch too quickly). Any ideas? We'll get it to a mechanic eventually, but as all it needs to do is make it to the train station (5 min away) at the moment it isn't at the top of our priorities.

Advertisement
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

1000+ Posts
    Sorry for the bad news diagnosis, but that was exactly how our XM felt the day before its auto transmission died totally.

Of course, it could be slipping bands or a faulty clutch in the transmission so we can hope it's something cheap.

150 000 - 200 000km is an expected life of an auto as far as I know. Depends on driving style and location of driving of course.

Derek.

The "life expectancy" of an auto has been discussed many times in the UK and it always comes back to the same result; if the transmission has had a fairly regular servicing, then it's comparable to a manual. Unfortunately all too many servos as well as owners seem to think 'servicing' is a case of checking the level every year or two & continue to do it regardless of colour of the fluid. I've heard that BXs "do" their auto between 120,000 & 200,000klms by several over there only to be told by just as many that they have done 350,000 - 400,000+ and it is still going sweet as a nut. The difference? the big mileage cars have been self serviced & hence had the ATF changed annually, that is the common denominator.
    I'd suggest getting teh ATF changed completely & if the car has an externally accessed filter, have it cleaned at the same time.
    If not, do the change & see how it goes & if no difference then get an auto guy to adjust the bands & give it a general service, however, my bet is the fkuid change will make a noticeable difference; a colour check of it (it should be red) should give some indication.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

nJm
    Alan, it had a full 'service' of the auto at 140,000kms as it was misbehaving. I haven't driven the car for a day or two now, although dad said it is getting really hard to drive as it won't kick down anymore.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    magnas are known to go through auto box's anywhere between 120-160k's
    this is a sad state of affairs for the throw away life style we are made to live
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

What I find annoying is that so many manufacturers these days don't have transmission fluid changes as part of their regular servicing schedules - they're "sealed for life". You wouldn't think of never changing your oil, so why not for a gearbox. Fluid/oil is more crucial in an automatic gearbox than in a manual, given that not only does it lubricate the gearbox, but it also transmits drive (ie. when the torque converter is unlocked).

I am sure the lives of many gearboxes could have been prolonged had their fluid been changed.

Transmission fluid isn't that expensive, is it?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Fellow Frogger!
    Auto trasnmission are VERY well known to be the biggest problem to Magnas. I heard of them letting go as early as 80,000kms

They also by about this time had leaks so it may have been starved of fluid. (my corolla had this problem)

Auto transmission fluid is cheap especially considering the risks $$ of having none in there

Fellow Frogger!
    What about a Renault 19,
    You have to service the auto's every 40,000km's otherwise they stuff up at 100,000km's.

I drove a EF falcon for 325,000 km's no oil changes, no servicing, except the engine oil and filter... No problem...

As a "dealer" as such i steer away from Magna's. They are great to drive, but most people trade them in when they know thier is problems with the trans. So probably 70 % of Magnas in the trade have trans problems.... you would think Mitsubishi would have sorted out this long running problem ...

<small>[ 01 August 2003, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Cant_get_enough_of_peugeots ]</small>
    Peugeot
    "Anything else is a Compromise!"

Administrator
    Kristian:
    Auto trasnmission are VERY well known to be the biggest problem to Magnas. I heard of them letting go as early as 80,000kms
    The only magnas that I believe have an auto "problem" as such are the first generation of magnas TR/early TP..after that I am told (from a reliable source within MMC's warranty dept) that they are the last thing to die and are virtually un-killable...I would think that the tranny might be in limp home mode and that the problem is eletrical rather thatn mechanical...In limp home mode, the transmission will shift at a predetirmened shift point, regardless of engine load, this will also explain the refusal to kick-down....This might be a job for a mitsu dealer, as they can probably find an eletrical fault quicker than anyone else.....

regards

Administrator
    P.s....check the fuse(s) for the auto...

After reading all these comments about the Masturbashy, where's all this Japanese reliability we're always hearing about?
    There's a guy on the Citroen Bulletin board just posted that he's pensioned off a CX & bought one of these because he's obviously convinced they don't break down....isn't he in for a shock!! mallet mallet mallet deal cry cry

Alan S

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Cant_get_enough_of_peugeots:

I drove a EF falcon for 325,000 km's no oil changes, no servicing, except the engine oil and filter... No problem...
    all i can say is you were lucky
    FoMoCo didn't have good autos trans in their XD/E/F range of falcons either
    they were well known to die at an early age of around the same lifespan as the magnas
    luckily fords autos are cheap to repair/replace
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts
    Pug307:
    What I find annoying is that so many manufacturers these days don't have transmission fluid changes as part of their regular servicing schedules - they're "sealed for life". You wouldn't think of never changing your oil, so why not for a gearbox. Fluid/oil is more crucial in an automatic gearbox than in a manual, given that not only does it lubricate the gearbox, but it also transmits drive (ie. when the torque converter is unlocked).
    Justin,
    I had a feeling Ford Falcons had sealed boxes... but I was wrong. On the service docket for our Falcon's 30 000km service they changed the transmission fluid. I suppose that's a good thing - that transmission has a hard life compared to your average sedan given the weight involved.

Derek

nJm
    From what I gather from dad, the belt for 2nd gear had snapped. It is going to cost just under $3000 to get it fixed up. And then in 3,000km it will be due for its big 150,000km service . Thank god I don't have to pay for its repairs.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Ah, Nick, they should have bought one of those 406's while the going was good!

As to the auto transmission fluid replacement question, I know that some years back there was some sort of study done which suggested that under normal circumstances the most common causes of failure involved contamination at the time of refilling or improper "topping up". As only part of the fluid is actually replaced when you have the auto "drained" and "refilled" (because of the amount held in the torque converter etc) the argument ran that you were actually better off not changing it regularly.

Don't know if the argument really holds good (my guess would be that it probably does up to a certain mileage, but not beyond) , but that was the rationale.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

I'll still stick to my posting above regards changing the fluid.
    Autos have filters in them, obviously for a reason and I've yet to see ANY machine that was more reliable with contaminated lubricant in it complete with water, grit and bits of metal than one with clean fluid.
    In reality, even though the fluid isn't completely changed, due to as has been pointed out, balance left in the torque converter, the amount of contaminents would be greatly reduces and also their percentage decreased by doing an oil change. If in doubt, change again in a few thousand, after all, ATF isn't the price of gold dust, about $30 would more than cover most boxes. I saw an instance last night with a high performance Nissan motor that had running in oil in it that just totally broke down at 100klms, which working on the "don't change at any price" philosophy could have ended up an extremely expensive exercise. cry cry mallet mallet

Alan S cheers!

Banned
    Rod Hagen is right the contamination of the ATF, which is just hydraulic oil, was happening during servicing so the "doctrine" became "don't change the fluid". A similar thing was the reason to go to sealed ball joints, dummys pumped the joint so full of grease they popped the "boot" off and that was the major cause of failure. Pollution is the major problem in auto boxes not the oil breaking down as in the engine so be very hygenic when checking and topping up the level and all will be OK. Changing the oil might get rid of the contamination if that's the problem, but its not the oil. All this assumes the transmission hasn't been "cooking" for some reason.

Alan S:
    I'll still stick to my posting above regards changing the fluid.
    Autos have filters in them, obviously for a reason and I've yet to see ANY machine that was more reliable with contaminated lubricant in it complete with water, grit and bits of metal than one with clean fluid......
    the amount of contaminents would be greatly reduces and also their percentage decreased by doing an oil change. If in doubt, change again in a few thousand, after all, ATF isn't the price of gold dust, about $30 would more than cover most boxes. exercise. cry cry mallet

Alan S cheers!
    peabody,

With all due respects mate, this was the thrust of my posting (as quoted above), the mention of oil breaking down was made to emphasise that if a problem existed in or with the oil, then that problem was compounded & leads to bigger problems if not attended to; the logic that if you have a slob or a goose servicing your car who is so incompetant that you don't service your car for fear of him stuffing it leaves me cold.
    When I have had twits of this calibre & it usually doesn't take long to pick them, I just simply changed my service centre, back in the days when I was operating the business & didn't have time to do it myself. Mind you, with some of the clowns out there charging mega bucks for low quality service, I must admit, the temptation to simply let the car die a slow & painful death sometimes did appeal as a cheaper option than paying some of these to charge me to speed up the process. deal cry cry

Alan S

Banned
    Alan S,
    We are on the same wavelength.

Tadpole

Default auto problem (non froggy )

magna buff from the magna club

lots of problems posted by members about this gear box and the external filter mitsu changed the exterior filter next model

bands in auto gearboxes just wear out or slip no one in the club reporded one breaking so this is new

ok try reprogramming the gearbox electronics

i am told if you select the first gear and keep in in that gear for several meters then go to 2nd then 3rd so drive it like a manual
    the gearbox computer may reset

the other information is to disconect the battery terminals for 10 minutes then reconnect this also rests

how good is the battery

automatic workshop would be your next visit

is yours a triptronic or other .the electrics in the auto box can be diagnosed quickly buy the experts and you may not be up for much money at all

not good just before christmas

good luck
    Last edited by magna buff; 18th December 2005 at 02:25 PM.

1000+ Posts

Hmm interesting. How large is the Magna club?

nJm's family have long since disposed of the said Magna in this thread, however.

UFO

Just like some others! PHEW!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information