Stupid punchers!
  • Register
  • Help

Stupid punchers!

Well I just finished a presentation at uni and sitted through a grueling 4 hours of other peoples presentations.

I just can't wait to get home, so I walk to the underground carpark, get in my 206...reverse outa the spot and it feels like the handbrake is on..it's not so I thought it was jammed, so yank it up then let it off again (no brake light on dash) but problem is still there, I reverse another meter and realise that my front tyre is flat...BADLY FLAT and just dragging! lol. I mean the car was just sitting on my shiny alloy rim So it took me about 15-20 mins to change the bloody tyre, thankfully my spare is also a Alloy mag wink But this brings me to my next rant. This is the 3rd punture I have got in my car since February! What is going on? Is it my tyres or have I just had a stint of badluck...

Advertisement

Thankfully my rim is fine, and hopefully the tyre can be repaired, it's only about 7 months old

Actually, gotta run up the road and pick it up now! I hope I don't get a puncture on the way!
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Fellow Frogger!
    Punctures! They always happen at the worst of times.
    I was driving from Sydney to Melbourne with a car trailer on the back.
    On the car trailer was a mint condition 1957 Thunderbird. Worth 50k +
    Doing 100km/h the trailer tyre blew, now this was a hire trailer, i requested a good condition trailor to do the big haul.
    We could not get the spare off the trailer so a Truckie pulled over and helped us out.
    10 Mins later the spare blew cry
    By now it was 3am somewhere on the hume highway, we had to unload the car from the trailer and drive it to the next town, pretty simple hey!!
    Now the catch, the car had been covered up and stored for 25 years. Imagine driving a car with no brakes, 25 year old tyres, arghhhhhhh.
    We made it to town and got home safely, but it's an adventure caused by a puncture that i will remmember for the rest of my life....
    Peugeot
    "Anything else is a Compromise!"

3rd since February, eh?

My worst was 17 in one day.

Driving cross country in the NT between Amaroo and Murray Downs in a Toyota 4x4 ute, through some scrubby mulga country, with some brand new Michelins that they had just brought out to test the outback market. Great on the highway. Hopeless soft side walls when confronted with a mulga stake. They gave us a new set of something more traditional when we got back.

Ended up running out of patches and getting back to Alice Springs with the tyres full of spinifex instead of air. Thank goodness for split rims!

Discovered the new water tank hadn't been washed out too so we were quaffing tea made from a waterhole adorned with the odd dead budgy.

Seriously though, 3 flats in the city ion that amount of time is a bit unusual. What sort of tyres? what sort of pressures? how are your rims? Are they simply deflating or are you finding the source of the punctures?

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 24 June 2003, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Two in one day. Lesson - NEVER run over an echidna, even if it is squashed almost flat on the road disappro
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Seriously though, 3 flats in the city ion that amount of time is a bit unusual. What sort of tyres? what sort of pressures? how are your rims? Are they simply deflating or are you finding the source of the punctures?

Rims are fine, tyres are good Michelans, tyre pressure is good, remained at a constant 35 PSI, never have to put more air into them. The source of tyres going flat has been... a nail, then a large screw and then today was a small piece of sharp metal, was hard to see though, managed to plug it wink
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Bruce H:
    Two in one day. Lesson - NEVER run over an echidna, even if it is squashed almost flat on the road disappro
    We have an echidna living under an old canadian canoe next to the carport at present. I promise not to run over it.

Remember getting a puncture from a ring pull can once. When you used to pull the top rather than push it?. Apparently they used to cause havoc amongst the intestines of the wildlife too, with fish, birds and goannas mistaking them for living things. Goannas also like Petangue / Bocce balls (especially the jack) , so be careful when playing an end in a tranquil bush glade!

Mind you a cousin of mine lost a tyre (XAS) on his 403 after picking up a bird bone out in the bush, so I guess sometimes nature gets even!.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Yeah nature can get you wink

I was once drove across Australia with my dad, we got 4 punctured tyres in one day, we were lucky we didn't get one more, cause we used up all 4 of our spares!

But two of the puctures were from animal bones, one was a Kangaroo carcus and the other was a bird carcus. Was crazy!!!!
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Gee, that's bad luck, and then there are those who can drive a 20 year old car with the original spare still in the boot, ahwell.

Had to replace one of the tyres on the 307 because of a puncture. Not a cheap exercise - pity a XSi owner who has to replace a 17" Pirelli P-Zero eek!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

punctures suck. I got a blowout on the front of my friends old Datsun Sunny at 115 kph with 4 people and all our luggage on the undivided Hume Hwy at 2am with semi trailers all around me - not fun! Got the adrenalin going though!!! mallet
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

XTC
    Pug307:
    Gee, that's bad luck, and then there are those who can drive a 20 year old car with the original spare still in the boot, ahwell.
    At least you get a full size one in the 307 !

XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    you must have a late model 206
    my mother has a full size spare mag in hers
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Yeah I have a full size spare mag in mine too. The spare is exactly the same as the other 4.

I thought all 206's had a full size spare...and those who ordered their 206 with mags get 5 aswell....
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

sjl
    When I was in Yr 11 a griend of mine came up to me one morning before class looking sort of emabarassed. She wanted me to go and park her car for her.

We walked down the road and I picked her car a mile away because it was sticking out about 3 meters into the road. What she hadn't told me that during one of her many attempts to fit her Ford Laser into a parking spot that a semi trailer could have fit into, she had hit the curb with such force that she had blown a tyre.

And they say men are more dangerous on the road!

Reminds me of another time me and a whole bunch of guys literally picked up a girl's mitsu colt and conviniently put it on the foot path. Should have seen her face when she went to leave that afternoon.
    "How do you like them apples?"
    306 Gti6

Yes I have done that before...but it was with a mini (the old ones) the engine was still remarkably heavy, needed about 6 yr 12 guys to lift it! ehehehe Sounds a lot like my school, I used to park a chicks car in yr 12. hehehe

Half or more of my year (in year 12) drove to school and we had this long street that went around the back of our oval that we could all park in, we all got very good at reverse parking into ridiculously tiny spots, there was even a comp' and an award at the end of the year for the best reverse parker in the school wink I came 2nd hehehe I rember coming to school late with 2 other mates (in their cars) and their being just one spot which could have squashed 2 hatch backs in it, but no way big enough for 3 cars, so instead of reverse parking, we all put our rears to the curb, door handle to door handle and climed out the back hatch to get out. lol
    head_ban ahhh those were they days!
    oh I didn't have my pug then either wink
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Debris after a box had fallen off a truck on the approach to the Gladesville Bridge... no chance of avoiding all of it...

Three punctures at once in brand new tyres on my 403.

XTC
    n b j:
    Yeah I have a full size spare mag in mine too. The spare is exactly the same as the other 4.
    I thought all 206's had a full size spare...and those who ordered their 206 with mags get 5 aswell....
    MY02 206GTi's have a space saver ... better then a 206CC which gets a no spare at all !

XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

sjl
    What? The Gti doesn't have a spare? I grew up in france and it's not as if they have the sides of the roads lined with spare wheels. What are thay thinking???
    "How do you like them apples?"
    306 Gti6

Im on my 5th car, driving for 8 years (not a long time really), drove in Sydney for 90%, but driven in Adelaide and hills area, Melbourne, Wagga, North and south coast, all of Gold coast etc, NEVER ONE PUNCTURE OR FLAT!! lady luck i guess. cheers Xq

ps, i changed the spare on a subaru STI at work for a guest, as a good valet should. Anyway for some reason it was just a normal suby steelie and aparently this over a few hundred K's has caused a fault in the gearbox transfer case etc, as the tyre is of a considerably diferent rolling diameter, so the guest is suing the dealer ship for leasing him the car... go figure.
    I think it was on here or another forum, but i read that, in the US some bored mech students over the summer pulled apart their dorm mate's civic, and rebuilt it in his bedroom, piece by piece, would have loved to see the look on his face though!

<small>[ 25 June 2003, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: xqisid ]</small>
    ... ptui!

Gem
    I had a flat on the 2nd day that I got my car!
    I am glad that I know how to change a tyre. approve
    ~ gemma ~
    '95 306 S16
    [MYS16]

Azide tastes nice on my cereal.

xqisid:

I think it was on here or another forum, but i read that, in the US some bored mech students over the summer pulled apart their dorm mate's civic, and rebuilt it in his bedroom, piece by piece, would have loved to see the look on his face though!
    How did they get the bodyshell through the door?
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

xqisid:
    Im on my 5th car, driving for 8 years (not a long time really), drove in Sydney for 90%, but driven in Adelaide and hills area, Melbourne, Wagga, North and south coast, all of Gold coast etc, NEVER ONE PUNCTURE OR FLAT!! lady luck i guess. cheers Xq
    Probably owes a fair bit to good driving as well as lady luck, xsquid.

Some people knock tyres around much more than others, ploughing into potholes tec (some Peugeot and Citroen drivers do this just because they can wink ).

Some people see things on the road that others don't notice or ignore, etc etc.

Some people check their tyre pressures regularly, others don't.

Some people wear their tyres down to or beyond the legal limit, others don't (apparently a very high proportion of punctures happen in the last 20% of tread wear) etc etc.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Three punctures in six months sounds about as bad as the worst I managed in my old 306, and from memory they were all from crud that I ran over on the freeway. Never quite figured out how they always seemed to happen to a rear tyre, rather than at the front, though I distinctly remember the strangest one -- I hit someone's dropped screwdriver at 100 km/h-ish speed with the front tyre, bounced it off the bottom of the car (sounded like I'd hit a land mine) and ended up with it completely buried square through the middle of the rear tyre's tread.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Thread Information