Volvo molotov?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Thread: Volvo molotov?

Volvo molotov?

From <a href="http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=44195" target="_blank">http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=44195</a>

Automotive News / June 23, 2003
    ------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON -- Federal safety officials are intensifying an investigation of fuel tanks in 1993-96 Volvo 850s.
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says that it and Volvo Cars of North America Inc. have collected 54 complaints about gasoline leaks from the cars.
    If a recall were necessary, it would cover as many as 188,000 cars, NHTSA says.

__________________________________________________ _______

Advertisement

If you own a Volvo 850, smoking, it would seem, is definitely a health hazard.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

nJm
    Just wait til Justin sees this one .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Now why didn't I think of that , Nick evil

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Note to volvo: this is karma for attempting to build FWDs.

mallet

Rod Hagen:
    Now why didn't I think of that , Nick evil

Cheers

Rod
    Of course there was some ulterior motive behind the posting of this topic wink

Now, I could always mention about how certain PSA products have had problems of spontaneous combustion too There are some pics of my good mate, the 206, catching alight after the airbags deployed eek!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nchandler:
    Note to volvo: this is karma for attempting to build FWDs.

mallet
    I think FWD has been a fairly good thing for them. Compare an S80 to a 5 Series and the comfort in the cabin and you'll see what I mean. Whilst most will agree the 5 Series is better to drive, most will also concede the S80 has a more comfortable cabin with more space and better seats. You also have to remember that when the 850 was launched back in 1991 that it was very well received too. It's almost surprising it took them so long to develop a real FWD car (300 & 400 Series weren't 100% Volvo), given that Sweden's conditions were ideal for FWD.

Now as the old school RWD stalwarts finally come to terms with FWD, they're trying to come to terms with the fact Ford owns Volvo. As far as I'm concerned, Volvo is the jewel in Ford's crown - probably its most successful division. Whilst Ford bleeds cash and attacks Volvo with the accountants, Volvo is still making good money and cars that are still screwed properly together.

From a technical perspective, the main problem with FWD they've encountered is transmissions. All their advances in engine technology are basically limited by transmissions at the moment - there isn't a transmission currently compact enough that can handle the potential torque of the engines and meet Volvo's durability requirements. When you put an inline six transversely between the two front wheels, you don't have much space for a transmission.

If there's one thing I miss about RWD, it's the old Volvo turning circle. There are few manufacturers in the world that could compete with Volvo for the turning circle. The 240 is a big car, yet it has a turning circle the same size as a 206 (9.8m). They still managed a decent turning circle with the 850 on 195s at 10.2m, but with the latest models, they've become middle of the road in terms of turning circle size.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    so long as no one gets hurt but a few less swedish bricks on the road can't be all bad can it ????

but then volvos would be the best car on the road if everyone had one whip
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Well to stir the pot what about Saabs then?

Well, Saab was pretty quick to jump on the FWD bandwagon, which was good for Swedish conditions. Pity they've been a financial black hole for such a long time though, although from what I can gather, Australia is being hamstrung by a shortage of the new 9-3 Sedan.

A little known fact is that in 1977, Volvo and Saab almost merged.

Daniel, you used to have even more interesting cars in your profile, what happened to the Lada & FSM Niki wink

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Twas just a joke. The volvo FWDs are actually pretty decent cars. My mother drives an S70 and its a pretty punchy, well balanced car to drive quickly. Its soon getting upgraded, and I'll miss driving it. The turbo 850s and S70s are also great fun cars. The 850R manuals really had some go in them. And the S80 is a fantastic car.

I suspected it was a joke, but you never know - fortunately the "RWD is a gift from heaven" Volvo stalwarts are starting to thin out.

We've got an S70 too. What is your S70 being replaced with?

S80 T6, such a beautiful engine. There is no torque curve, it's a bloody torque mesa.

Favourite one I've driven is the S60 AWD though - just a really nice car to drive. It's a different kind of "nice" compared to Peugeots though. Quite a capable car with a beautiful powertrain. Just needs a bit more room in the back.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

If there's one thing I miss about RWD, it's the old Volvo turning circle. There are few manufacturers in the world that could compete with Volvo for the turning circle. The 240 is a big car, yet it has a turning circle the same size as a 206 (9.8m). They still managed a decent turning circle with the 850 on 195s at 10.2m, but with the latest models, they've become middle of the road in terms of turning circle size.
    Yes, the price of "progress". Both the Peugeot 404 and 403 had a 9.64m turning circle. Started to go backwards with the 504 (never quite understood why) , and then took a mighty leap with the front wheel drives.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Gus
    If there's one thing I miss about RWD, it's the old Volvo turning circle.
    I'll second that. The first time I did a U-turn in my friend's 240, I had to do another one just to make sure! For a big, pretty boggy, car with otherwise uninspiring handling that was a revelation!

but then volvos would be the best car on the road if everyone had one
    I think you can see what this would be like by heading to the local fairground... dodgems!! Bump, bump, ram ram... wink

but then volvos would be the best car on the road if everyone had one
    Didn't someone once say that about the Model T? Funny how what goes around comes around, now that Volvos are Fords in disguise.

Has any one heard any more about the Renault takeover of Volvo rumours?

Interesting piece in the Euro version of autonews yesterday about the troubles at Fiat / Alfa. The suggestion is that Peugeot / Citroen are likely to be one of the major beneficiaries of its impending demise (pimarily through increased sales of Citroens) . <a href="http://europe.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=4292" target="_blank">http://europe.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=4292</a>

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 26 June 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Yes, they're being debated on the various Volvo forums. The Americans are all up in arms about it, I never realised how strong their distaste for French cars was - they really do lump them in the same boat as things like Yugos because of the quality sagas.

The thing is, Volvo is Ford's cash cow. All the other PAG brands such as Aston Martin, Jaguar, etc are all bleeding cash as well as Ford.

BTW - none of the current Volvos are Ford based. The first products of the Ford marriage will be the next S40/V50 to be unveiled at Frankfurt in a few months.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Pug307:
    Yes, they're being debated on the various Volvo forums. The Americans are all up in arms about it, I never realised how strong their distaste for French cars was - they really do lump them in the same boat as things like Yugos because of the quality sagas.
    I suspct its got more to do with their fit of pique about the French daring to say they shouldn't go into Iraq than anything else, Justin. Been plenty of rabid ranting comments about the French on even the Citroen mailing lists recently as a result.

The thing is, Volvo is Ford's cash cow. All the other PAG brands such as Aston Martin, Jaguar, etc are all bleeding cash as well as Ford.
    Yes, I was going to make a remark about the US Volvo sales being the only positive thing in their generally depressing situation in the US, but, heh! that would have been far too nice of me evil

BTW - none of the current Volvos are Ford based. The first products of the Ford marriage will be the next S40/V50 to be unveiled at Frankfurt in a few months.
    Didn't realise they had even got that far. Beware, the end is nigh! - Unless they sell to Renault wink !

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Even prior to the Iraq issue, the Americans have never been fond of the French cars - there's always been a stigma attached to them, probably similar to what we attach to Kia or Lada from what I can gather. That's why the French have to rediscover quality before they have any hope in reentering the US market (once the anti French sentiment dies down).

I did come across one rare example on a Volvo forum though. One of the S60R owners had a 405 Mi16 before, which he loved, apart from the electrical problems.

Give me a choice of an S40 based on the Focus II or the Megane II - Focus II wins. Heck, Focus I is already better to drive than the Megane II - I've driven the Focus I, haven't driven the Megane II, but I've read nothing that says otherwise.

In Scandinavia, Volvo actually handles Renault, so the companies still have some ties.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

BTW,

The next S40/V50 are only using the Focus II platform - the cars are still fairly different.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Pug307:
    the Americans have never been fond of the French cars - there's always been a stigma attached to them, probably similar to what we attach to Kia or Lada from what I can gather.
    Not always, Justin.

Back in the 50's US Road and Track ranked the Peugeot 403 as one of the best 7 cars in the world, and the 404 had a similar status over there too.

It was some pretty disasterous experiences during the 1980's that really seemed to do the damage in terms of the "quality" issue. The influx of Japanese and German machinery into niches previously filled to some extent by French cars probably also had an impact.

But the current anti-French nonsense takes all of that to a new level.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Freedom Fries :p

Need I say any more.

I'd say the 80s probably killed the French brands.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

who needs a 9.8 metre turning circle? I'm quite used to the 13.7m turning circle on the GTi6
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

if you can read a map and know where you are going what do you need a good turning circle for anyway

the GTi's turn well enough to the left it's just right hand turns you get a little limited

i have never needed to turn that hard on the open road yet

only parking can be a little issue
    but then i can park mine on the front lawn without any hassle at all and it's not a big front yard

ray has more trouble getting his 504 wagon there lol
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Exactly, if you know where you're going, you're right in the GTi6. Although some roundabouts and cul de sacs in Sydney require a liberal use of hand brake to get around nice and quickly
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

GTI124:
    who needs a 9.8 metre turning circle? I'm quite used to the 13.7m turning circle on the GTi6
    Maybe people should have to get a bus licence before they are allowed to buy one wink

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

truelly i never notice the big turning circle on the car anymore
    i did for the first couple of weeks i had it but now after all this time i wouldn't even know that it is a big circle
    once you are used to it and have been driving one for a while you wouldn't even know
    it's like the heavy clutch they have
    i don't think it is heavy untill i jump into mums 206 and it feels like there is nothing connected to the pedal
    it's all what you get used to that plus the pure driving pleasure of a 306GTi-6 makes you forgive a few little things
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Thread Information