Did anyone see this petrol story on the 7.30 Report??
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Did anyone see this petrol story on the 7.30 Report??

Here's part of the transcript from the 7.30 report last night. Did anyone see it?
    Raises some interesting points regarding the Woolworths petrol & asks if Coles will toe the line or also go for exemption.
    Seems that environmental restrictions seem to apply to the little guys but the big ones always seem to want to step around them; apart from the reason being making a fast buck, I wonder what other excuses they use? deal mallet

"DAVID WALSH: For more than a year, I only used Safeway-Woolworths petrol in my car.

TIM LESTER: When you say "I only used it", what percentage of your fuel was from Safeway-Woolworths?

DAVID WALSH: Absolutely 100 per cent.

Advertisement

TIM LESTER: Accountant David Walsh insists Woolworths owes him $1,000 for damage done to his car, which his mechanic says was caused by poor quality fuel.

Woolworths won't pay, saying it has tested and cleared fuel from the station concerned.

DAVID WALSH: I was confident that they would only sell me good petrol.

I was confident once we found that it wasn't good petrol that they would compensate me.

Neither of those things happened.

How can I have any confidence in anything to do with Safeway-Woolworths?

TIM LESTER: Woolworths declined to comment on camera but told us it gets six to ten quality fuel complaints a week.

It has 1.4 million fuel customers each week and would expect many more complaints if there was a quality problem.

David Walsh believes there may be many others and has set up a website to find out.

The fuel quality issue troubles Woolworths at another level.

40 per cent of its stocks come from Asian refineries and will not meet new Federal environmental fuel standards to take effect in six months.

There's speculation the giant grocer has been trying to form its own domestic partnership, perhaps with the largest of Australia's oil companies, Caltex.

In the meantime, Woolworths has approached the Federal Government seeking a two- or three-year exemption from the new environmental standards, claiming if it has to find new fuel sources, pump prices will rise.

DAVID CUMMING, ROYAL AUTOMOBILE CLUB OF VICTORIA: There are certain nasties we believe should be removed from fuel and there's no way in the world Safeway should be given an exemption.

Everybody must meet these new standards by January next year.

TIM LESTER: In fact, for now, nothing in Australia's fuel industry is certain, except that it is overcrowded and increasingly petrol is becoming just another item on the grocery list."

I know we've had some on here who have reckoned they used it & it was great; we've also had some who have had some strange problems with their car....any connection? cry spanner
    I don't know where this guy's website is so I can't refer you on to it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

At one stage I was using the premium unleaded from Safeway outlets and have all soughts of missfiring problems, rough idle and generally the car was running like crap.
    Changed my fuel and haven't had a problem since.
    Conclusion, I wouldn't recommend supermarket petrol to my worst enemy, they sould stick to groceries.

Marc

I won't go near the stuff.

I quite often drive past one to get fuel somewhere else further away.

No way am I taking the risk......

UFO
    As I have said before - my car runs fine on known quality brand fuels (Optimax, Ultimate etc) but one tank of Woolworths Premium grade crap pretending to be petrol and the XM suffers badly.

Deb and I will not touch Woolies petrol and I have even told Woolies checkout staff they can stick their discount docket! mallet
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I suspect Woolies will feel the heat with Coles & the Shell alliance.

Who wouldn't rather have Shell fuel in their car over Woolworths fuel?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I use it almost exclusively... and have done for a few years.

I don't know of any damage being done to my engine, given that I expect that the valve seat recession to occur with other brands anyway.

And what about the statement from Woolworths that BP and Caltex supply virtually all of their fuel outside of NSW and Victoria?

Now, if Woolworths are dudding us, I'd be the first to be behind the lynching. But if they're not, and as the one who probably uses the most fuel of anyone posting on this entire forum I don't think they are, then let's be fair about it.

Will coles be any better?? mallet

Coles is using Shell fuel.

With your Coles discount receipt, you go to the Shell station and get the discount off there - you're not going to a Coles fuel station.

Sometimes I do wonder if Woolworths petrol is really all that bad or if it's just scaremongering. I don't use it, but I know plenty who do and it hasn't caused any issues.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

At a recent a trade night with RCCV, we were informed that BP & Mobil were best, worst was Safeway next was optimax as it apparently only has a shelf life of 30 days after manufacture, after that the major octane boosters have evaporated.
    cheers!
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

bp's Kwinana refinery is supposed to be the most advanced in Australia.

I know some here don't like bp, but they are leading the way when it comes to things such as low sulphur content fuels.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Pug307:
    Coles is using Shell fuel.

With your Coles discount receipt, you go to the Shell station and get the discount off there - you're not going to a Coles fuel station.

Sometimes I do wonder if Woolworths petrol is really all that bad or if it's just scaremongering. I don't use it, but I know plenty who do and it hasn't caused any issues.
    I think so too... but my mind is open.

What is the deal with the groceries and the dockets?

Ray, when you buy X dollars of groceries at Woolies, you get a discount voucher to get another 4c/l off the pump price at Woolies fuel stations.

Also - your wagon may not have the high compression or tune of the newer cars and as such you will not experience any downsides in running the 504 on a lesser quality fuel.
    I know I can run my 504 on peanut oil if required for a while (ULP) but it runs on when I turn it off. An XM may be a different kettle of fish.

Ray - Did you check out the 504 convertible for sale at justinbanks.com?
    ipb.

UFO
    The XM handbook specifies that you must use premium ULP - therefore you would expect more sensitivity to fuel octane ratings.

I can run the DS on ULP at a pinch, but it is gutless. The DS also likes PULP - it sang on proper leaded fuel though cry
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

nJm
    My 505 is extremely sensitive to the quality of fuel I put in it. It can mean the difference between starting problems and pinking to an increase in power, smoothness and economy. I've never tried Woolies in mine, but I have found that for best results I use BP Ultimate, followed by Mobile 8000 (or whatever their 98octane is), then BP or Mobile LRP, then Optimax. I try to stay clear of unknown LRP and don't use ULP.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Originally posted by ipb205
    <strong>Ray, when you buy X dollars of groceries at Woolies, you get a discount voucher to get another 4c/l off the pump price at Woolies fuel stations.....
    I know the Woolies scheme well, that's why I use it. But what's the ins and outs of the Coles deal?

I mean I want to know specifics. Anyone know?

And I'm looking for that convertible now... just to dream, of course.

Well, I used it in my Trs for a while & couldn't understand why it wouldn't stay in tune.
    Then I used it on the CX with same results. A neighbour tried it in a tractor and wondered why he had all these problems he'd never experienced before (guess who bought his fuel for him when I went to town?) mallet and a neighbour of my mothers had the RACQ drop their car off twice on a recovery truck and were told by the mechanic that it was caused through the fuel.
    I eventually changed across to PULP and my probs cured overnight, the neighbour just asked if I'd mind getting fuel from somewhere else & had no problems after and the mothers neighbour reckoned that twice they used Woolies petrol & twice their Magna cracked up, so in my case it has to be more than just coincidence.
    "Toll" deliver the fuel to the Woolies servo in Town; used to be Finnemores so I have reservations about it coming from other sources as we have a couple of Independent & some other no name servos in Town & they get fuel from Caltex...delivered by Caltex tankers.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Which tanker does the delivery might well be a case of who pays for the cartage... probably Woolworths take that on because they are big transport buyers.

1000+ Posts
    I bought Woolies PULP from a Woolies servo in Canberra on my way home from Melbourne in Febrary. I think it was in Dickson? On the Northern side of Canberra anyway.

My 306XR didn't like it. It was one of the few times I ever heard it pink. The other time I had filled with plain ULP because I couldn't find anything else. I ran it dead empty (well, almost) and filled up with Shell Optimax and it was fine from then on. That indicates to me that I paid for Premium ULP but got plain ULP.

I have bought Woolies LPG for the ute on numerous occasions (4c/litre off 33c/litre LPG = more than 10% discount so who wouldn't!!) and it's always been fine. I'd imagine the LPG is Australian sourced however.

(edit) I've been Googling for the guy's website but can't find it.

Derek.

<small>[ 29 July 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: DeKa ]</small>

I personally have not used Woolies petrol in the 306, but my dad tried it in his Subaru Forester GT (requires minimum 95 RON), and the fuel gauge went haywire. He stopped using their petrol, and it returned to normal.

As for Optimax - since experiencing pinging in the 306 with 95 RON, I was using Optimax - and the car was still pinging (around the gear change points and esp when the running temp got high). A month or so back Shell ran out of Optimax, so I went to BP and bought a tank of Ultimate, and the car has not pinged since, as well as running smoother and having improved acceleration. And it's slightly cheaper than Shell...

penelope_s

sjl
    But Shell has Fly Buys!!!

After a year of collecting fly buys, I reckon I've got about enough points to take a trip from one end of the runway to the other!

Might have to change my petrol provider...
    "How do you like them apples?"
    306 Gti6

1000+ Posts
    Mobil earns you Qantas FFlyer Points on a Qantas Visa from ANZ... they seem to add up nice and quickly

I know some people don't like Mobil here though..

Derek

Fellow Frogger!
    I think they should start using Ethanol at safe ratios in petrol.
    The amount of money and profit it will give to Australian primary producers would be unbelievable.

I think the major petrol companies are using scare tactics, to prevent this happening because they stand to lose billions of dollars.

Why should we care, i would rather see billions of dollars stay in Australia, than line the pockets of these oil tycoons overseas.
    It's like this, the better regional Oz does, the better our dollar becomes, the cheaper it will be to buy stuff for our pugs in the UK...

Regional Australia really needs a boost, i think this is a good start.

The servise stations should change thier signs to read "Proud to supply Ethanol fuel, supporting regional Australia"

i've probably opened a can of worms here, but what do you guys think???
    Peugeot
    "Anything else is a Compromise!"

Originally posted by DeKa
    <strong>I bought Woolies PULP from a Woolies servo in Canberra on my way home from Melbourne in Febrary. I think it was in Dickson? On the Northern side of Canberra anyway.

My 306XR didn't like it. It was one of the few times I ever heard it pink. The other time I had filled with plain ULP because I couldn't find anything else. I ran it dead empty (well, almost) and filled up with Shell Optimax and it was fine from then on. That indicates to me that I paid for Premium ULP but got plain ULP.....
    Not necessarily... in fact, probably not at all...

Optimax is a step above normal Premium ULP.

Ethanol is being blamed for damage to engines... what kind of damage can it cause?

Similar to the rumours about Plus Petrol...

By the way, nobody has spelled out what the deal is when you go to Coles... how does their system work and what discounts are they offering?

In regards to ethanol, I've heard it's fine as long as it comprises less than 10% of the petrol.

My understanding of the current offer is as follows.

When you spend more than $30 at Coles, you get a petrol discount voucher on your receipt (sounds similar to Safeway). When you bring it to your participating Shell station, they give you 4 cents off the price (that's the current offer) per litre.

Sounds quite similar to Safeway's scheme, but you just have to spend the $30 at Coles and go to the local Shell station.

I normally fill up at bp, so this deal would only save me 2.5c per tank assuming pricing parity between bp & Shell (bp charges 7c extra for Ultimate, whereas Shell charges 8.4-8.5c extra for Optimax). Given I usually fill up 50 odd litres, it's only a dollar theoretically. It's just more convenient for me to buy at bp and often the standard ULP price is cheaper to begin with than my nearest Shell - so the net benefit for me may be zero. Plus I rarely shop at Coles

But if you shop at Coles and often fill up at Shell, it's great. Especially for all those Optimax addicts out there

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information