paint scratch repairs? my car just got keyed :(
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

paint scratch repairs? my car just got keyed :(

went to wash the car this morning after leaving it parked on the street o/night, and some *@%^ with a 20 cent coin/key has left large scratches both sides of my car and some of the bonnet. I am pissed off.
    uptil now my car has been kept as prisitine as possible for 9 years by its various owners- all undone by one bastard in a few seconds. it either happened at my place or in a hospital car park, not sure but either way it sucks. cry cry
    I have a dark blue 1994 306 s16 just like phasis' car, any hints/tips on how to fix this and what products are the best would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
    1994 306 s16

Fellow Frogger!
    Sucks does'nt it. I had my car keyed about 3 months ago but them I crashed so when it was repaired I had the scratch, all 3 panels on drivers side resprayed. Depending on how deep the scratch is, first try polishing with a good polish like meguiars or auto-glym if it doesnt work you might have to get a respray, you could claim this on insurance but check your policy as with most this will affect your no claim bonus.
    It makes you really mad that dickheads get a kick out ofdoing this , i had my 205 keyed in the city when i had only left it a couple of hours to get a bite to eat, it was (and the last) time I wil park it on the street. The following week my friends 206 was keyed in the city. Grrrr..
    Oh yeah when i got my car back from the repairer I parked in the far end of the car park at local cinema but when I got back cars parked all around me and some [email protected]#$ head had opened their door straight into my newly painted door! leaving a ding the size of a 50 cent coin as was as chipping the paint. It never ends...

<small>[ 21 June 2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: pugsy ]</small>
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Marcus,

First that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

The 306 has pretty ordinary paint. We had the GTi6 keyed and there's no way to repair the damage. The paint is just too thin, it tore through the paint right away. I took the random orbital buffer to some scratches and still couldn't get them out. The next step is a rotary buffer, but I'm not experienced enough to use one of those. We were just waiting for an accident or some money to come along and then respray the whole car again in some better quality paint than the OEM stuff.

My tip would be to either:
    - give me a call and I can have a look at it to tell you if it's repairable.
    - pop into any smash repairer and they can tell
    - pop into Meguiars at Silverwater and they'll have a look and tell you if it's fixable.

Lincoln
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

hi marcus

thats [email protected]#%^ my friend does mobile detailing tell him that you know me and he look after you tell wat happen he did my car and it looks mad,

milton mob: 0417 228 546

hope that he can help you

john
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Marcus, if you have to get it resprayed, make sure you find somewhere who sprays Prestige cars. Mine went to Hadwen's (Bris) when it got stolen for some small body repairs. They got the speckel in the paint JUST right. I can't tell the difference
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

XTC
    pugsy:
    in the city when i had only left it a couple of hours to get a bite to eat, it was (and the last) time I wil park it on the street. The following week my friends 206 was keyed in the city. Grrrr..
    Wasn't MMC's car was it ?

XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Cal
    That really sux mate. Scum bags. If I ever see someone doing that to anybodys car, I will tear them a new ahole! I got mine done over last year. I just waited until I needed other panel work done before I fixed it. Sounds like yours is a lot worse though. Why do they pick cars like Pugs? Because we look after them and keep them clean? Maybe it is just totally random.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Tadpole
    thanks for all the help guys, I will have to delay any repairs as work is very busy at the moment, but at least now I have an idea of what to do. still pains me to look at those scatches. Drivers door is the worst so I have to look at them each time I get in the car

I cant understand the mentality of someone who would do this but also would love to catch someone in the act and give them a good "talking to". mallet
    1994 306 s16

I have been there done that wink

About 18 months ago I was part of a classic car rally around NSW. There were about 10 classic cars parked outside a pub in a small town west of Bathurst. I walked outside to get a jacket outa my car, and parked beside it was a friends mint condition VW Karman Gia, it was one of the first imported into Australia and has been featured in numerous magazines...walking closesly to the car were two young kids (like 13yrs old) they saw me and started to walk away quickly, I saw what they did, called out to the guys in the pub who owned all the other 10 classic cars as I ran after them...caught them and to my surprise the cops were parked just down the road and sitting in their car, After giving them a talking to, It was left to the cops to do further talking, but every panel of the Karman Gia had very very deep scatches rigth the way down it from a swiss army knife!!! couldn't believe it! It was enough to make you cry the car eventually got taken back to a bare metal respray just to maintain it's value.

what were they? Bored? Brain damaged?
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey XTC206

MMC's car... um no it's the 206 GTi with crazy rear spoiler - WRC style and GT front bumper.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Gem
    That really angers me when I hear about people getting their cars keyed!!
    I wonder if they could use some polish to repair the scratches in their eyes, because they are going to need it after I jam my keys in their sockets when I catch those bums!
    ~ gemma ~
    '95 306 S16
    [MYS16]

Azide tastes nice on my cereal.

XTC
    Gem:
    That really angers me when I hear about people getting their cars keyed!!
    I wonder if they could use some polish to repair the scratches in their eyes, because they are going to need it after I jam my keys in their sockets when I catch those bums!
    You go girl ... Note: don't piss Gem off !

No I agree vandalism is usually a case of the "have not's" trying to hurt the "haves" (not that you need to be rich to own a Pug - but they think you are). It's jealousy, plain and simple. It also should be punished with public floggings whip but that's another story!

XTC206

Now this is a .sig

XTC206:
    (not that you need to be rich to own a Pug - but they think you are).
    XTC206
    It's funny how many people think Peugeot is an expensive car - probably because it's French and foreign. Maybe they think it's Coco Chanel's car arm or something?

The thing I always remind them of - a Corolla with the same kit costs more (than the 307) - and they're always shocked. These cars are just everyday cars over in Europe.

If you had a Toyota or another Mitsubishi, Holden, Ford or Nissan, in the eyes of many you're driving a normal car. But there'll always be those that'll go, "Ooh, a Pew sho".

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC
    Pug307:
    It's funny how many people think Peugeot is an expensive car - probably because it's French and foreign. Maybe they think it's Coco Chanel's car arm or something?
    It's imported is about all it takes ... people appear not say the same thing about my friends golf which cost more ?? Go figure. To make it even less sense, other friends have SS Crummiedoors - they sure paid alot more for them and they are not considered "rich".

XTC206

Now this is a .sig

Yep.

Remember how in the old days "fully imported" was the buzzword in car marketing.

I'd say it's not so much that it's imported, rather it's European. Most people don't seem to give this attitude to owners of Japanese or Korean cars. This is all in reference to brand, not the actual country of origin (production) - otherwise most of Ford & Holden's range would be in the imported boat.

Of course, there are exceptions to the European rule - eg. Lada. Then there are those "what the heck is that" brands, such as FSM

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC
    Pug307:
    I'd say it's not so much that it's imported, rather it's European. Most people don't seem to give this attitude to owners of Japanese or Korean cars. This is all in reference to brand, not the actual country of origin (production) - otherwise most of Ford & Holden's range would be in the imported boat.
    It sure doesn't hurt the re-sale value .... see what you'll get for a 1999 ($30K when new) Dunnydoor in todays market, buggar all. A 1999 206GTi is still selling for well over $20K.

XTC206

Now this is a .sig

The previous owner of my 403 parked it in Sorrell, and when he came back it had been scratched, the tyres all slashed, and there are even a couple of gouges that go right through the metal!!!(and no, they didn't gouge the rusty bits) Sadly, it didn't get a new set of Michelins, as he had a spares car with a mixture of old Michelin, Korean, and Japanese tyres. The paint on the 403 looks awful now, as it has lifted away from the car around the scratches (it was never a top quality paint job, but it did look OK when I got it), so I will totally repaint it one day.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

XTC
    Pugnut403:
    The previous owner of my 403 parked it in Sorrell, and when he came back it had been scratched, the tyres all slashed, and there are even a couple of gouges that go right through the metal.
    Still amazes me how many people with room temperature IQ exist - the gene pool needs a dose of chlorine. Goes to prove nothing is safe ... great.

XTC206

Now this is a .sig

In my case i own a Fuego so it cant be jealous of the rich . I beleive in a phenomena ive heard my dad curse about a lot(he's a retired spray painter/panel beater) that a fresh or recently painted panel has a mysterious attraction for scratches and dents (or in my dads case people leaning on freshly painted panels when spray booths werent common )

After my dad re-sreayed my Fuego, i copped a break-in which resulted in a mangled drivers door, smashed window and empty stereo slot . Not even 2 months after my old man had repaired the damage and given it a new coat of 2pack, someone keyed my drivers door and DRIVERS DOOR ONLY!!!(insert spooky music here)

Ive learnt to live with a few deep slashes on my drivers door as they seem to protect me from any further vandalism disappro

sjl
    I am ashamed to say that this kind of vandalism was actually caused by someone I am related to. dead But don't worry this happened in France so he is not in this country.

Couple years ago my uncle was out to dinner with his wife, whole bunch of family friends and business associates, and his own son (who was 9 at the time), and his friend. Half way through the meal my 9 yr old cousin and his friend get bored with the grown ups and the meal and decide to go to the carpark to play. My cousin thought it would be a good idea to redecorate the cars in the lot by throwing stones and embedding deep scratches on every panel of every car (excepts for his father's luxury lancia).

Luckily it wasn't an extremely busy night at the restaurant so there weren't many cars there - only about 10! And this restaurant was fairly upmarket too so the cars parked there were BMWs, Mercs etc. Anyway they were caught and on top of the $1000 bill for the meal my uncle had to pay, he was also deeply embarrassed and had to fork out over $100 000 worth of repairs for all those poor restaurant goers. cry cry cry

Tell you what if that was my kid I would have sent him straight to military school in some country where they don't have cars, or decent ones anyway (e.g. Nauru). Or I would have simply disowned him.

Now if that story doesn't make you cringe there's something wrong with you!
    "How do you like them apples?"
    306 Gti6

XTC
    renaulturbo:
    Ive learnt to live with a few deep slashes on my drivers door as they seem to protect me from any further vandalism disappro
    It's a sad world when you feel that you can "live" with such a car affliction just so some other D'Head doesn't go and spoil your car for you again.

XTC206

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information