High Speed Cruisin'
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

High Speed Cruisin'

Good People
    Spent a week up in the Northern Territory last week with the company AUII Foulcan.
    1200km over two days at nothing under 160km/h.
    No limits, no cops, no w#^#ker drivers and perfectly safe.
    What a pleasure it was to get up to a sensible cruising velocity without having to worry about cameras and speed traps for a change.
    The last bastion perhaps? Without a doubt!! Get yourself up there!! head_ban

Advertisement

Know what you mea, I did a trip the the rock in a SS commodore, never under 170.

Th V8 was cruising at 200km/h but would only give a range of 300km , so I had to slow down to 180 to get to the next fuel stop.

Was an amazing trip.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

nJm
    Was talking to a guy at the last PCCV meeting, and he said he drove his 406 SV to the northern territory, and had it happily cruising at 240km/h...
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Didn't you immediatly have a fatal accident the second your speed went over 103km/h --You certainly would be considered an extreme danger to yourself & everyone around you if you were caught doing 103km/h in Victoria (and punished via the hip pocket ) mallet mallet mallet mallet moon roll_lau
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

nJm:
    Was talking to a guy at the last PCCV meeting, and he said he drove his 406 SV to the northern territory, and had it happily cruising at 240km/h...
    lol, "happily" cruising on it's redline

If there's only one thing Australia's big engined cars are good for (at least mechanically wink ), It would be destroying vast (straight line) distances at obscene speed while barely ticking over...how many RPM does any modern commondore or foulcan pull at 100kph?, let alone 6spd LS1s

nJm
    Yeah, I was going to question that too, but I was more interested in a certain 505 Twin Turbo V6 I was standing next to at the time evil . We used to have a VT Commodore and it was very good for long distance cruising - I think it did around 1400rpm at 100. Mind you, let it rev above 2500rpm and you needed to turn the radio up. Sounded horrible!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

The AUII with the 4litre boat anchor was good for 2600rpm at 160km/h, pretty impressive really.
    180 is the max speed (yeah I tried it ). Electronically speed governed somehow, nowhere near its redline anyway.
    No worries, just set the cruise to 175..... approve

1000+ Posts
    DTwo,

I know you can get to 100km/hr without going over 2000RPM in our LPG AUIII Falcon ute. Doesn't take long, even at those low revs.

I'll check what revs it's actually doing at 100 next time I drive it.

Derek.

DTwo
    If there's only one thing Australia's big engined cars are good for (at least mechanically wink ), It would be destroying vast (straight line) distances at obscene speed while barely ticking over...how many RPM does any modern commondore or foulcan pull at 100kph?, let alone 6spd LS1s [/QB]
    Hyperdrive (sixth gear) on an Gen3 gives around 70km/h per 1000rpm. Ratio of 0.5:1 eek!
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

1000+ Posts
    On Thursday I did 200 k's in an AUII 4.0; it does 1800rpm at just under 110km/h. And they've finally made the shifter sweet enough so you can flick it back to 3rd without any effort for overtaking, without that frantic kickdown crap I hate with autos... I agree - seems not bad for distance work.

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I'd love to do a Territory trip in a Lotus Carlton.
    6 speeds, 185mph. YEEHAH dance
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Good People
    Spent a week up in the Northern Territory last week...
    No limits, no cops, no w#^#ker drivers and perfectly safe.:
    Didn't see any water buffalo poking their head out of the grass, kangaroos , horses, ( a mate of mine was very nearly killed on the Stuart Highway when a horse head hit the a pillar on his Toyota 4x4), washouts, emus, cars with one headlight at night, drunken drivers in clapped out utes doing U turns at Ti Tree, Road trains travelling two together with nowherefor you to pull in between when a car comes the other way. No 150kph blow outs from the hot, hard roads or that bit of rock on a side road that weakened the tyre or a bit of mulga you picked up when you pulled off the highway? etc etc etc.

There are quite a few reasons why the NT consisistently has the highest fatality rate per vehicle of anywhere in Australia.

Driving in the NT is certainly fun (I've done over a million K's up there) but it is NOT safe.

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 06 May 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

ash
    Interesting story told to me by a friend of the family, who is a fairly high-up Ford engineer in Geelong.

The V8 BA Falcon ute that starred in the 'let's take it for a run on the salt lake' commercial was apparently a twin-turbo V6 pre-production test car, and not a V8 at all (although it was made up to look just like one). The story goes that it was good for at least 320km/h according to some of the engineers, so they decided to take it up to the NT to do some "further testing". Apparently the engineers in question wound it out to 295km/h before getting utterly scared...
    1998 Xantia V6 Exclusive
    //\\ 1975 DS23 Pallas //\\ 1987 BX19 GTi //\\ 1985 BX16 TRS

Road fatalities by state and territory

Australia overall has one of the world's lowest road fatality rates - 1.5 deaths per 10,000 registered vehicles in year 2000. The OECD median is 1.9

The ACT leads Australia (and probably the world) with 0.9 deaths per 10,000

The NT comes out worst with 5 deaths per 10,000

The worst performer in the world is Korea with 7.8 deaths per 10,000. Yes the NT is safer than Korea, but not by that much.

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 07 May 2003, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

V6 in a Falcon question question question question question
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

The worst performer in the world is Korea with 7.8 deaths per 10,000. Yes the NT is safer than Korea, but not by that much.
    I would say 36% is actually quite significantly safer.......considering he speed differences you would see in Korea compared to the NT!!
    No one is saying it's 100% safe to drive at high speed, but I'd rather do it in the NT where the only real hazards it seems to me are animals (don't drive at night) and Victorian tourists towing caravans at 60km/h on the main highways.

Wouldn't count your chickens, Avatar. The NT toll was actually up 300% over the first three months of this year compared to the figures I gave you!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

1000+ Posts
    ash:
    Apparently the engineers in question wound it out to 295km/h before getting utterly scared...
    I've seen cement-mixer carrying brickies' utes do close to that on the freeway, I reckon!

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Originally posted by Stuey
    <strong>I've seen cement-mixer carrying brickies' utes do close to that on the freeway, I reckon!
    Only on the way to the pub!

Phil (Split Pin) Brock was telling me he makes a trip once a month from Darwin to the Alice and return... once he was tired of it all and decided to drive straight home... ten hours "without breaking the speed limit..."

The words f*ckin idiotic spring to mind here. I can recall pulling into Hay one afternoon in summer and looking at what was left of a Falcon that had taken a roo head on at 120km per hour. It was a real mess. The driver had been pinned in the seat by the carcass most of which had come in straight through the windscreen. He was OK and had just managed to keep the vehicle under some sort of control. I reckon he was lucky to have survived that impact. Not long after that a notable local was killed in a single vehicle roll over on the Hay plain....now you would think that the Hay plain would be a good candidate for much higher limits than 110kmh.

I guess if you go to the NT which has a population comparable to canberra, spread over a huge area, the odds are you will only kill yourself and your passengers if you hit wildlife at 180kmh.

mallet

<small>[ 09 May 2003, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

I can also remember when my dad came around a blind corner at night out on the Darling and had no choice but to t bone the Fargo that had been thoughfully parked across both lanes by the drunk asleep in the back. My dad was charged with neg driving, but it was dismissed in Broken Hill court. Since this happened in what was at the time a relatively new holden (FB) I reckon I was lucky to have a dad to show up in court. The drunk survived without a scratch. I just can't see how you can factor in the unexpected like that or animal strike and say that driving on flat country roads at ballistic speeds is in any way safe. Even hitting a crow at 110kmh has the potential to cause a major accident...see how you would react to an instant totally unexpected proctologists eye view of a crows arse in your direct line of sight and headed for your face, accompanied by a thump that sounds like a watermelon hitting the windscreen. Believe me it will have you a little worried at the least or heading into the boonies or oncoming traffic at worst.

Anything unexpected, anything that goes wrong at high speed will instantly multiply from a problem to a crisis...correspondingly the time you have to deal with it will be reduced. Basic common sense really....are we all heros because we choose to risk our lives doing stuff like that?

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Even hitting a crow at 110kmh has the potential to cause a major accident...see how you would react to an instant totally unexpected proctologists eye view of a crows arse in your direct line of sight and headed for your face, accompanied by a thump that sounds like a watermelon hitting the windscreen.
    I hooked up with a pair of bikies driving across the Barkly Highway (from Isa to Tennant Creek) in the old 403 one time. They said that the biggest problems they had been having driving there at night were the owls. The owls along this stretch have perfected a technique of "slipstreaming" the cars to catch insects caught in the headlights. They shoot in over the bonnet picking the insects on the way and ride the airflow over the roof. Its quite unnerving the first few times you experience it.

On a bike however they try the same trick and, guess what, no slip stream. So they hit you full on in the face.

With cars up there the birds that cause the biggest problem are the wedge tailed eagles. They sit on road kill and try to take off at the last minute. Being slow they sometimes don't make it. A wedgy makes a hell of a mess at speed.

Second come emus. They might not be able to fly but are quite capable of running at well over 60kph and then turning at right angles directly across in front of you.

Taste good though.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Without trying to increase the antagonism you're showing...

All of this can happen at 100kmh, or 110kmh, as shown by the example of your father and the FB.

For most experienced drivers there is little difference in taking evasive action at 110 and 150. Mainly because at 150 you are naturally driving further ahead of yourself.

But I guess you'll never understand or believe that.

Administrator
    Ray Bell:

For most experienced drivers there is little difference in taking evasive action at 110 and 150. Mainly because at 150 you are naturally driving further ahead of yourself.
    HMMMM........not much differnce at all.......except the fact it takes about twice as long to stop.....

Ray Bell:
    Without trying to increase the antagonism you're showing...

All of this can happen at 100kmh, or 110kmh, as shown by the example of your father and the FB.

But I guess you'll never understand or believe that.
    Hi Ray. I'm not feeling the slightest "antagonism". I just think the notion that "speed doesn't matter" or is "perfectly safe" ignores most of the basic laws of physics, psychology , and human physiology and most of what I've seen on the roads in the course of my life!

But I'm not feeling the least angry or antagonistic about it (though I do seem to detect a certain techyness amongst some for whom the "speed doesn't matter" line is an absolute article of faith wink ) . Just trying to put across what I personally see as the "facts" of the matter, having driven rather a lot in the NT!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information