306 and 307 rear suspension design
  • Register
  • Help

306 and 307 rear suspension design

out of the two car 306 and 307 which one has a better suspension design.

Ultimately, which has a better suspension???

Cheers
    Billy peugeot_

Advertisement
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

Its a bit of an open ended question.
    It pretty much depends what the suspension is supposed to do. It is widely regarded that the 306 has one of the nicest balances of recent Pugs. But that wouldn't be just a function of the suspension componets alone. Chassis dynamics have a huge role to play here and the lower centre of gravity coupled with a wide stance help the 306 enormously.
    Reading the latest EVO comparo between Renault Clio Sport and an upcoming 206GTi180 (thanks Lincoln ) there is a mention that a Peugeot has gone away from the firm sporty ride in the last few models instead concentrating on the politically correct soft and supple ride. I think 307 falls under latter category.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    more to the point really is that the new 206GTi 180 has gone away from the passive rear wheel steering effect that the 306 had
    the new designer there at pug tends to think that the 306 didn't handle very well with that type of setup
    i'll stick with the 306
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

nJm
    Having driven both a 206 and a 307 I'd have to say the current pugs have lost the ride quality that is associated with a Peugeot. Actually, I'm willing to say the 307 at low speeds (around 60) has one of the worst rides I've experience from a car that isn't fitted with low sports suspension. At high speeds it seems ok though, better than the 206 which lacks dampening.

The 206 and the 307 seemed to get the arse out if provoked, so I'd love to try to see what a 306 would be like then!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

tekkie:
    Reading the latest EVO comparo between Renault Clio Sport and an upcoming 206GTi180 (thanks Lincoln ) there is a mention that a Peugeot has gone away from the firm sporty ride in the last few models instead concentrating on the politically correct soft and supple ride. I think 307 falls under latter category.
    Really, it's not that supple, unless you have an elephant in the back and are driving at 160km/h As Nick has said, it's probably the least supple - for a standard Peugeot. One of the 307 drivers moved from a 206 GTi and finds it more supple. The 307 rides firmer than a 306 IMHO, but just does so more quietly. I think ride quality has two elements - actually bump absorbtion and noise, because a quiet ride can influence your perception to think the car is less bumpy than it really is - again, it all comes down to perceived quality.

They're much firmer than the old RWD Peugeots. Personally I still can't work out what's so great about the 206's ride, the car just feels underdamped to me. Slides nicely when there's a grip deficit though

To answer the question. 306 & 307 has similar suspension designs at a basic level. Basically, the 307 has the 306's design using coil springs. Have a look in <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001580;p=1" target="_blank">this thread</a> to compare designs.

The 307 has an accountant's evolution of the 306's design (front suspension is basically the same MacPherson strut setup) - it's replaced the torsion bar trailing arms 306 setup with the coil spring torsion beam with trailing arms setup. The 306's setup (like the 206) required expensive end bearings.

Torsion beams are quite popular amongst small cars, as they are cheap, don't have much intrusion into the cabin and work well enough. At the end of the day, they can't have the same sophistication as a multi link setup. Both cars still have passive rear wheel steering (although the 307's is an unadvertised system, never read anything about it, but some engineers from Peugeot Oz sent me some info on it).

The 307 is also quite a bit taller than the 306, although it is wider. Because of the height, extra understeer was engineered into the car, as they didn't want to do an A-Class. The 306 is more involving than the 307, but the 307 is hardly a basket case. On any attempt to quantify handling, it still does very well, but it doesn't have the same feel as the 306.

Both cars will still oversteer. Just one will do so more eagerly than the other.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thanks for the replies!!

The reason I asked is because I thinking along the lines of a 306 GTi-6 or a 307.

Are there much problems with a 98 306 GTi or a 307?

Cheers
    Billy cheers!
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

306GTi's tend to be driven harder but are built to cope with it (larger axels, tougher gerbox/clutch, upgraded shocks/springs etc).
    Timing belt on the 306 is a MUST DO at 80,000kms or less. N5 chassis is much stronger to N3 and prevents a lot of flex which may show up with panel dints and weld seperation in extreme cases.

I dont think its fair to compare 306GTi and 307 as they are different cars and I guess you need to take both for a hard run to really see which one suits you better.
    If you were in Sydney I could take you for a run in mine.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

I would love to take up your offer, but unfortunately I am in Brissy.

what does a 98 GTI-6 differ to a latter year GTi-6?? Any mechanical and interior problems that the 98 version has and the later year version does not??

I currently have a 205 GTi, and I want a car that is more refine than the 205 but yet still able to have fun in. In terms of the 307 I was looking at a diesel for the fuel economy, but with the km's I travel a year....it doesn't makes much difference in terms of fuel costs.

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

Personally, the 307 HDi makes no sense in Australia, IMHO.

You pay $4000 for a car that is slower than the base 1.6. Sure it saves fuel, but to recoup the savings for most people will take 7-8 years!

Quite different animals, the 306 & 307. Coming from a 205, I suspect the 307 may be a bit too sensible for you

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Billy, the GTI6 will be more suited to you needs are a car for 'fun'. The 307 will be more refined than the GTI6, though wont have the mumbo or the handleing on the edge. However...you are looking at a car which will be around 5 years old, so there are inherant problems there. You would want a full mechanical, and if buying from a dealer, get the extra warranty if it is available.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

I like your response, Pug307 "the 307 is too sensible for me"

Are there any problems that I particularly should look for??

Thanks

Billy cheers!
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

In 307 world, there is one word thou shall never utter.

COM2000

This is probably one of the worst pieces of electrical engineering ever to come out from France. They've been building the wretched things for more than two years and they still keep on failing. So impressive was the design that the manufacturer managed to go bust building these things.

The COM2000 is the integrated communications unit surrounding the steering column, including the indicator stalk, wiper stalk, receiver for the remote control, speaker for the fake indicator ticker and sockets for the cruise control and audio stalks. It costs a bomb, so if you lose your stalk, you replace the lot.

Indicator stalks seem to go quite often. We had a poll on the 307 list, and somehow 67% of those who voted had had problems with the wretched COM2000. Of course it's unscientific, but I've never come across a part that so frequently fails. We're not talking about the odd occurence here or there. Maybe that's why Peugeot hasn't bothered to recall it, everyone keeps on going back to the dealer anyway wink

To learn more about the car, I've got a <a href="http://users.bigpond.net.au/skystar/peugeot307/" target="_blank">website</a> on the car.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC
    Pug307:
    In 307 world, there is one word thou shall never utter. COM2000
    It's not just 307's .... new 206's have similar issues, though not as common.

- XTC206 - who's 1 indicator stalk down already.
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Pug307:
    Personally, the 307 HDi makes no sense in Australia, IMHO.

You pay $4000 for a car that is slower than the base 1.6. Sure it saves fuel, but to recoup the savings for most people will take 7-8 years!
    )
    I met an older couple with a 307 HDi in Richmond, Queensland the other day, Justin. They were very , very happy with it. Were doing major trips in remote areas. Finding diesel in such places was much easier than getting good premium unleaded, and significantly cheaper.

In the cities it probably doesn't make as much sense, but in what used to be called "Australian conditions" (which cover most of the land area but only really apply to a small percentage of the population) it makes a lot!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information