Speeding tickets overseas
  • Register
  • Help

Speeding tickets overseas

I just got issued my first ever speeding ticket, in NZ, outside Bull...or whatever it's called, north of Wellington. I saw the cop on the way to Taranaki, and I shouldn't have sped, but it was night time, didn't think they'd be any cops out. Anyway, what's the story with tickets and being OS? Kiwis any comments?

I know in Australia that a foreigner can't be chased for tickets, so most highway patrol just don't bother issuing a ticket. My thought was this guy was just meeting his quota for the day. I'm not going to pay it.

Advertisement

BTW, go the 'tahs, and go the Brumbies! It's probably the main reason why he bothered giving an Aussie a ticket...
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Fellow Frogger!
    what details did the coppa' take from you?
    ashleyt

--------
    1993 205GTI Sorrento Green
    1990 205GTI Red - Track Car ("431")

EC:2:02.18, WP:1:16.07, OP 54.27, OPGP 1:28.83, Huntley 32.34

everything: address, licence number, details of the rental car, my occupation.

<small>[ 05 May 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: GTI124 ]</small>
    - Lincoln

I got arested in Austria for speeding it wasnt pleasant.
    I thought my Renault scenic was going well at the time.

A british friend of mine who is living here got a ticket, and got busted again because he had been here for over 6 months without getting an australian liscense (which i believe your ment to do, same as when you change states or address deal ), so he got an even bigger fine! mallet

But we'd been telling him for months he could get a speeding ticket and he said he couldnt cause he wasnt an australian driver, so i guess he proved us right :p

Ben

<small>[ 05 May 2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: bennymarsh ]</small>
    206 1.6 XT Auto China Blue in the house.

Hopefully soon to be C3...or C2.....owner.....maybe.....one day....I hope!!!!!

danielsydney:
    I got arested in Austria for speeding it wasnt pleasant.
    I thought my Renault scenic was going well at the time.
    LOL

What were you using the 18 storage compartments for illegal substances?

You can get given a ticket, it's just whether they can make you pay it once you have left the country.
    - Lincoln

Fellow Frogger!
    everything: address, licence number, details of the rental car, my occupation
    bugger .... still leaves the question, how can they make you pay if you are no longer in the country?

i guess they'll send the bill to your address in Sydney right? .... how about we wait and see if it "ever" arrives! whistle
    ashleyt

--------
    1993 205GTI Sorrento Green
    1990 205GTI Red - Track Car ("431")

EC:2:02.18, WP:1:16.07, OP 54.27, OPGP 1:28.83, Huntley 32.34

What speed did you get nabbed at?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm
    At least NZ$ are lower than the AU$. If you got an expensive speeding fine in the UK you'd be pissed.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Tadpole
    knowing that you are a foriegner some countries will bill it to your credit card on the spot

Credit Cards in New Zealand? No, they accept payment by going into any Westpac Branch or a cheque...AND they give you FREEPOST to do that! What a joke!

Anyway, I figure I'll do a return to sender on my address.

I got nabbed doing 121 in a 100 (no 100 zones in NZ) zone. Was 10:30 at night, noone around. Straight road. I actually think you can drive faster in NZ to Oz, as there are virtually no animals to hit. Except for possums and rabbits. In Oz you have to worry about Wallabies, roos, wombats, all of which can SERIOUSLY hurt your car. They advertise that their roads are designed for speeds greater than a 100kph, which is just bullocks. Especially on the freeway from Wellington to Petone. That's just crying out for 110kph-120kph...well that's what I drove it at anyway.

Perhaps I'm being irresponsible? I slowed to 50kph (rather than 60), 70kph (rather than 80) and 30 (roadworks, rather than 60) when I was there. It was just the open, clear roads that I sped on. Probably my famous last words, I know.
    - Lincoln

Credit Card?

Ahwell, at least you can earn some frequent flyer points to fly back to NZ

Wouldn't it be great if there were a credit system, you could offset all the times you were over the limit, with all the times you were under the limit

Did you see a flash?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

UFO
    Perhaps if you don't pay the bill and then you attempt to go back to NZ, you might find yourself marched onto the next plane back to Aus?

frown
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I remember reading something like that in regards to Singapore. Apparently if you have any civil ordinances owing, when you arrive at customs - you'll know.

Don't want to pay - don't enter!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Well working in IT and on projects that intergrate systems/databases, I very much doubt that a country that can't provide credit card billing for infringements can possibly integrate their infringement database with their immigration database. I know how hard that would be for a country like Australia with it's various states, let alone NZ. I'm not Kiwi bashing here, just acknowledging that it's not a cost effective thing to do. Your return on investment would be too long to make it worth their while.

As for Singapore, well that's a highly controlled society with very strict laws. That doesn't surprise me if that's the case. I'd expect that their IT systems would be more fully integrated as than somewhere like here, NZ or the US. But I would still like to see that as official policy written down somewhere or on a website, or see it myself, for me to believe that it is true. A speeding fine is not a criminal act, which would be something that a country could invest in, but not a minor misdemeanour ticket... But I doubt there's much room to speed in a motor vehicle in SNG anyway...

Justin, no flash, was a real live cop. He did seem to enjoy his flashing lights though. we turned off our lights and had a bit of a dance in the strobes and blue and red lights whilst we were waiting for the ticket to be issued. Yup, we just weren't taking him very seriously.
    - Lincoln

I figure if the speed camera people in the UK can find me (my girlfriends car, but we had to give a UK address to register it), theyve earnt it!!!!
    Same goes for the parking ticket in Hamburg.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

I think the way it work's here in the UK is that as a foreign national you cannot have penalty point's put onto your license, but they can try to put the point's onto your passport if they really want to.

If you're caught by a speed camera in a hire car, then it's upto the hire company to forward on the details of the fine to the person who hired the car, then it's upto you as to whether you pay it or not.

Under the Human Rights Act it is illegal to incriminate yourself, so when they send you the form, fill it in & give the details of who was driving then DO NOT SIGN IT, then post it back to them.

Chances are they won't bother with the hassle & admin to chase you half way across the world for a £60 (AUS$120) fine!!
    106GTI - Road Legal Go-Kart!

Re your fine. If you had been convicted of an offence, the Customs/immigration database would record that fact, in the event that you returned sometime.
    I'm uncertain if such trivial info. as a speeding fine(unpaid) would be recorded there.
    I have a mate in the PeugeotCC (Wgtn) who works for LTSA(land transport safety authority). I will drop him an email to ask if he can discreetly enquire if such info. is stored by Immigration. I will post his reply when available.
    You have to admit you were a "fair cop".
    I got nicked at 8.30am on a fine sunny morning driving Taupo to Napier(a Saturday), in March. No real traffic. 121km/hr in a nice sweeping downhill area in a red Mi16, cop going in other direction picked me off on his Hawk radar. I saw my speed and his speed locked on Hawk readout, and said 'thats a fair cop I suppose'. "But I'm going to a car club weekend in Napier-what car club? Peugeot. Cop-"I used to own a Pug 205GTI in Germany(he was a Pom) and could drive as fast as I wanted on autobahns". I mentioned I possessed a National Rally Licence and was driving within the car's capability but he still hit me with 121km/hr. I paid $180 and incurred 35 demerits. Had he hit me for 119k/hr, it would have been $120 and 20 demerits. I was really pissed at the treatment.
    Don deal

oh i'm not disputing the fact i was speeding. I'd be intersted as to what your mate says. Cheers.

After spending 8 weeks on the South Island and never seeing one highway patrol cop, was a bit of a shock to see them on the North Island.
    - Lincoln

Thread Information