National Driving Test
  • Register
  • Help

National Driving Test

So how many people did the national driving test? I wasn't really that interested in doing it, but there was nothing else on tv, and on tuesday i got a letter from the RTA (NSW) saying i have to sit another test to get off my P2 and onto a full lisence, so i thought it would be god practice.

So anyway, i did it and i got 36/55 (65%) which seemed to be an ok mark. I have to say, most of the ones i got wrong were the controversial ones the whole crowd got upset at, and pretty much anything to do with trucks, so i think for general driving i did ok on the test! Anyway, it occupied my night, and gave me some tips ofr my upcoming driving quiz!

Benny

Advertisement
    206 1.6 XT Auto China Blue in the house.

Hopefully soon to be C3...or C2.....owner.....maybe.....one day....I hope!!!!!

XTC
    bennymarsh:
    So how many people did the national driving test? I wasn't really that interested in doing it, but there was nothing else on tv, and on tuesday i got a letter from the RTA (NSW) saying i have to sit another test to get off my P2 and onto a full lisence, so i thought it would be god practice.
    In NSW what is required to get from P's to unrestricted ? .. written/practical/other ? And how much do they charge you ?

XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

To get off your P2 to an unrestricted lisence you need to sit a test which appears to have 10 questions of similar standard to last nights tv test ie pretty hard questions; as well as a "video" section with simulated driving videos where you have to respond appropriately to the given driving situation. They are chareging $31 for the privilage every time you have to sit it (they even warn you that you will possibly have to sit it more than once, so they are going to make it hard) and then another $81 to get your silver license after you've passed it.

Ben
    206 1.6 XT Auto China Blue in the house.

Hopefully soon to be C3...or C2.....owner.....maybe.....one day....I hope!!!!!

I was surprised at some of the ones I got wrong...

Like the trick post box one, where the question seemed to be about parking distance while it was really about standing, stopping or parking, and it coincidentally almost conflicted with an earlier question on 'No Standing' signs.

I didn't do the test but I heard on the radio the highest score achieved was 48/ 55, through the web site.
    Apparently 3 or 4 questions were completely wrong too.

i was going to do it but it took 2hrs frown
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Try 3!
    I flicked over when they were giving the answers at 9PM.

Originally posted by gibgib
    <strong>.....Apparently 3 or 4 questions were completely wrong too.
    I don't think anything was completely wrong...

But some things were a bit of guesswork, phrased trickily etc.

Gus
    Ben - You must have had some bad luck, getting in just after they changed the P's laws...

(Lucky me got his Ps license 3 days before it changed, so I got my full license after the one year.)

Not sure if that's a good thing or not, of course... but it beats paying $$$ for extra tests deal .

1000+ Posts
    Gus:
    Ben - You must have had some bad luck, getting in just after they changed the P's laws...
    Ben is just slack! He's older than me and I warned him to get his licence sooner rather than later but did he listen? deal

Derek

XTC
    gibgib:
    I didn't do the test but I heard on the radio the highest score achieved was 48/ 55, through the web site. Apparently 3 or 4 questions were completely wrong too.
    Apparently some questions were NSW biased ... I didn't watch it (not into LCD TV), but they showed signs that don't exist here (and are not in our learners books).

XTC206

Now this is a .sig

Yeah, the stop sign with the integrated traffic lights doesn't exist in Victoria, and I don't believe the yellow sign that indicates how many metres ahead a fire hydrant is exists here either. Well, I don't remember seeing these in my road rules book...

How dumb is the rule about being allowed to switch your high beams on just BEFORE overtaking a car? Surely this is unsafe as the driver being overtaken would be dazzled by your bright lights through his or her mirrors.

Anyway, I got 42 out of 55 on the night. The ones about parking totally threw me. Must read up when I get time. dead

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

silverexec:
    .....How dumb is the rule about being allowed to switch your high beams on just BEFORE overtaking a car? Surely this is unsafe as the driver being overtaken would be dazzled by your bright lights through his or her mirrors.....
    Think about that one, it actually can make sense...

Of course, nobody knows about it, so it's one everyone can get wrong. But if you want to flash your lights to warn you are going to overtake, this law makes that legal.

I wouldn't put my lights on high beam until I'm past the other car's rear view mirror, however.

1000+ Posts
    XTC206:
    Apparently some questions were NSW biased ... I didn't watch it (not into LCD TV), but they showed signs that don't exist here (and are not in our learners books).

XTC206
    But they are now national rules now so you've got to know.
    The only one I know that could be biased is the stop sign with three black circles in the middle of it. It means stop if the traffic lights are not working (and as if you would drive straight through anyway) eek!

Derek

Those stop signs first appeared in Sydney in the early eighties, from memory...

Whilst i agree with a national set of rules, they're bloody useless, if the respective authorities don't provide every licenced driver, with a list of rule changes. Not everyone buys newspapers daily,if at all.
    I scored 48 however i will admit to several good guesses. The traffic light, though not seen before, was a logical deduction, the parking distances got me, i allowed too much room generally.
    I believe it was a bullshit set up test, to get required results, perhaps comprised of the most failed questions in normal tests. There were 130 or so questions on the Semi truck test, i took several years ago.
    Perhaps it's an excuse for more revenue raising personnel.
    cheers!
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

One thing that concerned me was that it included some questions that required opinions as answers rather than facts.

The braking distance question - how flawed was that?

To say that the second car would be passing the first after 50' of braking doing 23.7kmh and then pull up in the next 15' makes a joke of the premise that it takes 50' to pull up from 50kmh!

Remind me of the questions and I'll point out the flaws... guesswork was indeed the order of the day.

Administrator
    remember, it is an exponential scale......

Whatever... it shows that their interpretation of the question allowed for some extraordinary reaction time.

Also, how valid is the question anyway?

Take a disc brake 404 out there and it will outbrake almost anything on the road.

Another guesswork one was the braking ability of trucks... do they brake the same as a car, 75% as well or 50%?

Opinions and guesswork...

XTC
    DeKa:
    But they are now national rules now so you've got to know.
    Whilst ignorance is no defence, if these signs (conditions) don't exist in other states (and quite a few don't here - I checked our latest road rules book) - in all fairness then, how on earth can one be expected to know ? You may be "technically" right but morally bankrupt.

XTC206

Now this is a .sig

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    but we as drivers must know certain interstate rules as at one time or another especially over here on the eastern seaboard we travel interstate at certain times
    i can't count how many times i have seen victorians blatantly disregard the road rules in NSW and i could say the same for QLD'ers driving through here
    victorians i'm sure do not know what a give way sign means they seem to drive straight through them and then give someone else the bird for getting upset with them
    QLD'ers on the other hand don't like wearing out the globes in their blinkers lol
    this i must admit doesn't go towards all people from VIC or QLD just the majority that i see
    i am sure the same could be said from the other side of the fence as well from QLD or VIC people with NSW people in their states
    if i drive interstate i tend to get a quick brush up on road rules of another state before travelling across the border
    before the war the g'ment was able to send out to all households fridge magnets and booklets on what to do in case of war why they can't do the same for national road rules is beyond me
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

All of these rules are National rules, nothing to brush up on!

Thread Information