Car stolen??? Don't call the Police.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Car stolen??? Don't call the Police.

Here's a ripper worth taking note of.
    A friend of one of my sons has a car that is a show car....it has had literally thousands $$$$$ spent on it, including tyres worth $500 a pop.
    Last night around 8.45pm, his mobile rings & a gruff voice asks to speak to his girlfriend. When she answers the voice accuses them of being down the Gold Coast a certain night & asks where the car reg no:******** is, as it's registered in her name. She denies they were & asks why, & is told that her car was seen "doing burn outs." (Yeah; on $500 a go tyres..)
    He then asks to speak to her boyfriend & promptly asks him his name (remember he's just rung his mobile); fortunately this guy was switched on enough to ask for the 'coppers' details & refuses to give his own details until he does. At this point, the 'copper' claims the phone is breaking up & eventually gives a name and number which subsequent inquiries reveal is so rare that only 4 could be found Australia wide. He then asks if the car is at the address shown on the rego & if they don't admit to being down at the Coast and doing burnouts, that he'll arrange for the local coppers to come out & confiscate the vehicle. He then tries to badger them to give times & places when they were last down the Coast obviously so he can fit them up with something & justify snatching the car.
    On reflection, the guy remembers being down the Coast & approaching a set of traffic lights (green) saw a flash from the roadside & asked his fiance if the light was red or green but it was on the footpath prior to the lights. He lapped the block to see what it was but when he got there, no sign of anyone was visible.
    The suspicion is that either there has been some undercover (underhanded) surveillance going on where they have been getting photos possibly using a speed camera set so they can grab number plates & this clown has boobooed on his dates or someone with connections with Police or Transport department records is trying to steal the car.
    Either way, the photo would not show this car doing what has been alleged, the description of the occupants of the car doesn't match and both were working that weekend & have pay slips to prove it as well as a stack of credible witnesses.
    The matter is in the hands of the Police Misconduct Commission (another pack of hopeless ******s) so it will be interesting to see what, apart from their own breaths they may catch.

The moral of the story is; if anyone rings & threatens to confiscate your car, particularly if you have been to the Gold Coast in the past month, don't admit to anything and particularly don't tell them the location of the car.
    Queensland Police are a pretty dense crew so it's always hard to tell whether you are dealing with a crim or the real thing particularly when they don't follow procedure because they seem to think the're above the law. I know from advertising my business in the Police Gazette many years ago that they always seem very willing to pass on any information that could assist a criminal in the pursuit of his career.
    If this is in fact genuine and from a copper, then it has reached the stage where "verballing" an old Police tradition in Queensland has hit new depths....yes sir; Mr McGrady & his dimwitted advisers seem to have opened another Pandoras box of potential corruption.
    Where is Tony Fitgerald when you need him? deal
    I'll post as soon as I get some response on what has transpired but in between times, keep an eye on you car in case either a copper steals it or assists someone else to.

Advertisement

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

All of which makes me kind of glad I don't have a car attractive to theives...

What if the flash was from a private Camera, secreted somewhere, taking pics for this purpose?

And if that person has a friend with access to the Transport Dept computer?

They have a trace system, I believe, and can find anyone who checks details on the computer.

XTC
    Ray Bell:
    They have a trace system, I believe, and can find anyone who checks details on the computer.
    Depends on the state .... they all do here, and I believe a few officers got caught checking out celebrities details (like place of residence) etc.

The same in the health system, a Dr friend in NSW said that Kerry Packer's lawyers get a list of very single staff member who accessed his records (electronic or otherwise) during one of his stays ... un-necessary access is dealt with by instant dismissal. whip

XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I was once confronted by a cop at my door asking if he could speak to a Mr blah blah (my father) I said no he's not here, so the cop looks down at his notepad and says "how about a Mr Nathan Blah blah" (he said my full name) I am like "umm yeah that's me"

Who was asking me what I was doing, at this time, if I own a mobile phone...if so can he see it, asking to see mr drivers lisense, asking me if there was any1 else in my house, to which I said "yes I have a mate around" so that asked to see my mate... and question him.. I was really wondering what was going on, they wouldn't tell me. Anyway, it turned out that a car had been stoeln from the local shopping center and the thief was persued by the police and run off the road, he jumped out of the car and knocked an officer out with a baseball bat and ran away on foot (didn't get caught) Well they contacted the owner of the car and he was able to identify everything inside the vehicle apart from a mobile phone which he did not own..so the cops obviously presumed the phone belonged to the thief...but in actaul fact earlier that day the theif had stolen my grandmothers hand bag, then stolen the car, and left her now stolen mobile in the car, with my number and my farthers number, etc.. in the phone book. The freaky thing though is that my name in my grandmums mobile is "Nath" and from this they were able to find out my adress and my fullname, as well as my dad, etc... The thief was also described as a 21yr old blonde male...so I even fit the description, so for 30 -40 mins of interigation, I was the cops key susect!!!! How WIERD IS THAT!

ok, anough of my rant. mallet
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Alan S and others,

Lay off the police a bit. Before you start accusing the police of corruption, criminal activity or of anything else, try to see it from their side as well. Policing is an incredibly tough and largely thankless job.

Yeah, I admit I sometimes get annoyed with so many police and policing resources put into enforcing speed limits but lets look at it from the other perspective. Have you ever pulled dead children from out of car wrecks or literally scraped human remains out of cars or dealt with the grieving relatives that get left behind? I know cops who have. Is it any wonder why some cops are so determined to crack down on speeding?

Of course there are bad apples in the police force as there is in any organisation. But they are a tiny minority. At least be thankful that we live in a country in which property rights are respected and police enforce the rule of law rather than arbitrarily invent laws or arrest people as in many other countries.

Alan S, its easy to be nasty and cynical about the police. I'd like to see if you have the stomach to do their job.
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

I am not picking on the Police; get that straight!!
    What has gone on here is straight out "verballing" in an attempt to gain a conviction of an innocent person & if you can't see wrong in that, it's time you took a good hard look at yourself instead of making broad based accusations like that without full knowledge of the circumstances involved.
    Sorry, but that's the way it is!!

Alan S

Alan, from my reading, couldn't it easily been a non-policeman attempting to get possesion of the car by taking a photo of the plate (or even just writing it down) then assuming the guy did spin his wheels while he was there (considering the look of the car) and using that presumption to try to press something on your son's friend?

This to me sounds like a very plausible scenario and a length a cook would go to to steal a car 'legit'.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Brad,

They have confirmed this whalloper exists and when the station was contacted the response of the Sargeant as "do you want to make a complaint?" (which gives the impression that more than one have questioned his actions) which he foolishly did & now they've tried to close ranks to protect this arrogant turd.
    There's a lot more going to come out of this.
    I was around when old Joh, (Sir) Terry roll_lau roll_lau & those other old chestnuts were on their capers & this is beginning to smell more like "Queensland Police of the '70s revisited" than anything I've smelt for a long time. mallet
    I used to go fishing with a lot of brass from the Police force & I know what they get up to & this brainless bloody pack of Politicians have enacted legislation open to corruption and are almost tempting officers to break the law to get the numbers up.
    When the fit hits the shan, the pollies will retire on big super payouts & the dopey coppers stupid enough to fall for this piece of politicking will wear the consequences. deal Unfortunately they seem all so keen to cover each others arses that there are going to be basically honest coppers caught up in it.

Alan S

XTC
    Alan S:
    I am not picking on the Police; get that straight!!
    Nor am I, but an Aunt and Uncle of mine were driving on a country road (about 100kph) when a silver sports car (they didn't know what it was) went screaming past them, swerving all over both sides of the road. It shook them up eek! , but my uncle was able to take a number plate down (not hard cause it was a personalised one). They rang the police station to report the male driver.

At about 3am the next morning a police officer in uniform rocked up at their door - he accused them of trying to run him off the road and he'd have her license taken off her. They were too scared to report him for fear of retribution. Needless to say whilst they know it may have been just one bad apple, it shook these 55+ faith in the police perminently.

XTC206.

Now this is a .sig

Banned
    Makes you glad to live in Victoria. Our coppers are just as corrupt but they are much smarter and very polite. I should know I am a former DPP (Director of Public Prosecutions) person. On Kerry Packer his NCA (National Crime Authority) information records his nick name as "wombat", if you did a search on their data base for that word the alarms would go off. I am talking about a long time ago.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Yeah,

it's strange, I've only ever been treated with respect by the police. Sure there was one arrogant little prick that used to keep an eye out for me, but still, he never tried any crap (even though I used to get a little 'perturbed' by him). You see after 3 bike helmet fines, being booked for driving an unregistered car ($500bucks thank you) --Which by the way was in a direct line to the RW place I was booked into. It was almost like I was being watch, he pulled up my drive behind me when I got home...

They can be a little sarcastic, but fair I guess, when I was pulled over on the way to the 'arse end of the plant'. He asked "Do you know why I pulled you over??". He looked downright stunned when I said, "Yeah I was going a little 'fast' back there when I passed your car completely hidden in the trees, I saw you in the mirrors as I went past though". Obviously he'd never been spotted in his hidey hole before, he didn't really know what to say.... The usual response must be "I have no idea".

Ringing my phone would be pointles 'cos my lack of tact is legendary around these parts. I'd be the one doing the questioning, not them "ie: Who the f#$* is this. Name, station and rank please... I'm just heading to the local police station right now to follow this up, please wait while I turn a tape on to tape this call mallet mallet "

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

hehehe yeah well here's a storey for you.

I was on my way to pick up my girlfriend for a dinner one night, I wsa in no hurry as I knew I would be waiting at her house for 30 mins anyway while she did her hair or whatever, so I stcuk 100% to the speed limit.

About 5 mins from her house I was behind a Ford Laser hatch and we were turning right into a street, he had a huge gap in the trafffic and didn't turn right, since I was in no hurry I dodn't bother totting or anything, I just waited patiently behind him, finally there was a big gap, he still didn't move, I was just about to toot him, but to my amazement he took off and the horn wasn't required wink

I was just driving 2 car lengths from him, sticking to the speed limit, as was he, wehn he slowed down to 10km under the limit, this was ok, but he seemed to be looking for a place and was holding me up, I wished he would pull over, I am travelling closer to him now, then he slows down to about 35km/h and cruises a long, I am almost tempted to change to first gear and follow him!!! I wanted to overtake the dickhead, but since it was double lines, I didn't...this goes on for a further 5 mins, I am tailgatting him now a bit waiting for a moment to overtake him regardless, cause 35km/h was getting ridiculas.

Finally he pulls over and waves his hand out the window or pointing or something, I don't bother looking at him, I just be polite and wave back, no need for the horn or speeding off or anything, I didn't want to be one of those arseholes...even though I was tempted to.

I just drive casually along to my GF's house, then I look in my rear view miirror and noticed the ford laser was now catching up to me, I mean I could hear his car reving!! I thought I had pissed him off some how, I didn't want to get into a road rage thingy, so I sped up a bit, just wanted to ge to the GF's house, I turned left up a hill, and obviously new the 206 woould have more legs then the 1.4 ltr ford laser wink so I gave it some stick and 1 min later was at the GF's house, I didn't go over 70km/h though, still didn't speed much.

Well as I get outa the car, to my amazement the ford laser comes around the corner, a little crossed up and slides in behind my car and an angry cop in full uniform jumps out!!!!

I won't go into details but what followed was an argument about how I broke 10 different laws and that I was going to lose my lisence, etc... I didn't argue back to much, but knew my rights, he even demanded I give him the full name and details of the ppl that live at my GF's house for reference or some shit, he wrote my details down on a scrap piece of paper (since he wasn't in a cop car) I did admit to speeding, but not to the extent that he wanted me to admit, he wanted to pin me for speeding by more then 15km's over the limit, so anyway I did lose one point off my lisence months later, it shat me off and I lost all faith I had in the police force, I just couldn't believe this guy!
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

The main reason for this posting wasn't to set off a copper bashing thread but to highlight particularly to the users of this board who may have ventured down to the Broadwater Car Park at some time to expect a call in the future even if you've done nothing. Maybe even if you haven't been to the car park but just near it to roads frequented by some of the ones from there on any Saturday night.
    It has been claimed that the local Gestapo have been videoing number plates in & around the car park as well as suspecting still photos have also been taken. When they feel inclined to bump up the statistics, they are obviously just running through the list, picking a number at random (with a preference to something that will look good in the papers or on Telly) & then if evidence is not available simply inventing some so as to confiscate the car. The amount of trouble they go to by doing a sweep of anything associated with that car to find out what they can as well as time spent trying to fit up the owner is disgusting. Go to any Gold Coast Police Station & tell them your car's been stolen & see if they put as much effort into finding it;
    "just fill tha form owt mayte 'n drop her in the box over 'ere when ya've finished. Don't like yer chances of findin' 'er tho!!" is what you get.

Given the lack of common sense or breaching of departmental procedures, the Government through this lame-arsed legislation has left the door wide open for abuse by any officer with an attitude problem & makes young & inexperienced car owners easy prey for car thieves. THAT'S where the big worry lies.

Alan S

It really wouldn't be the first time a "show car" has been fitted with suitable tyres to create public nuisance to replace the expensive "show tyres". I used to wonder why I saw the odd flashy modified Commodore/Rotary/Datsun etc with relatively skinny stockish looking tyres on, then a member of the younger Fast and Furious set indicated it was so the expensive tyres don't get wasted in the public nuisance event.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Simon:
    It really wouldn't be the first time a "show car" has been fitted with suitable tyres to create public nuisance to replace the expensive "show tyres". I used to wonder why I saw the odd flashy modified Commodore/Rotary/Datsun etc with relatively skinny stockish looking tyres on, then a member of the younger Fast and Furious set indicated it was so the expensive tyres don't get wasted in the public nuisance event.
    and where would he carry the 4 wheels & tyres for the 1000 klm round trip? on the red velvet upholstery perhaps??? roll_lau roll_lau maybe hire a truck? deal pay TNT to ship them down??? I mean, common sense has to slot into the equation somewhere surely. moon mallet

Alan S

Alan S:
    Simon:
    and where would he carry the 4 wheels & tyres for the 1000 klm round trip? on the red velvet upholstery perhaps??? roll_lau roll_lau maybe hire a truck? deal pay TNT to ship them down??? I mean, common sense has to slot into the equation somewhere surely. moon mallet

Alan S
    So I take it this guy has no friends? :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Not related to this copper at the Gold Coast by any chance?
    The logic sounds familiar. roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau

Or are we to presume that you know a manager in his 20s who would go to these lengths to do something stupid? If so could I respectfully suggest a change in your circle of friends.

I mean, screw an axle off & how does he get home this distance? You couldn't be serious!! mallet

Alan S

Alan S:
    Not related to this copper at the Gold Coast by any chance?
    The logic sounds familiar. roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau

Or are we to presume that you know a manager in his 20s who would go to these lengths to do something stupid? If so could I respectfully suggest a change in your circle of friends.

I mean, screw an axle off & how does he get home this distance? You couldn't be serious!! mallet

Alan S
    No, infact I don’t know any member of the police either professionally or personally. No connections of any sort.

But I do get a bit tired of the continual Alan Jonesesque type rave over police and their alleged agenda to persecute innocent members of the public.

From your report of the events you are receiving the info third hand, you were not there and you say you will report back as things transpire, fair enough.

You do not know if the police definition of “burnout” was full on tyre smoking circlework or just a wheelie away from the lights in a moment of exuberance, or if in fact the police have stuffed up and tagged the wrong car in the photo. We know this does happen from incorrect speed camera fines. I still find it strange to find out why someone would circle a block to see a camera, trips to go places must be awful long if someone has to back track to find the source of any flash.

Surely the police would have to furnish evidence of some sort to prove the car was creating a nuisance before confiscating it.

All I ask is to wait to see what transpires first then post the message, and cut down on the emotive hyperbole and rave.

Then again, I can do the usual thing as suggested many times, and choose not to read messages which irritate me 
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Fellow Frogger!
    Putting opinions aside, I actually enjoyed reading "everyones" comments.

cheers
    ashleyt

--------
    1993 205GTI Sorrento Green
    1990 205GTI Red - Track Car ("431")

EC:2:02.18, WP:1:16.07, OP 54.27, OPGP 1:28.83, Huntley 32.34

By and large, the police here in Tasmania are a reasonable lot, with the local in my area being more decent than most, but that is not to say that they are all like that. No matter how hard you try to stamp out corruption in any police force in the world, you can never be completely successful. There will always be a few bad apples in every barrel, and there is nothing we can do about it, it is just a fact of life. 2_cents
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

XTC
    Pugnut403:
    By and large, the police here in Tasmania are a reasonable lot
    Generally speaking they are ... but sometimes you just have to ask the question - what are they thinking !!!.

e.g. A friend of mine drives a truck for a living (about a 25 foot thing). He was stopped along with every other car at a RBT and asked to drive into the run off. He told the officer that it's better he do the RBT at that spot, cause his truck wouldn't fit. But no, the officer told him he had to got there ... so not wanting to disobey a police instruction .. he drove the truck in and in the process ran over a whole stack of police gear (mainly cones, buckets, flashing lights).

The sargent comes marching over and asks WTF was he doing, and he said "I told the officer there was no way the truck would fit but he ordered me in there" ... the Sarg then went and blasted the joinior officer. mallet

Then he had to get truck out ... and the junior officer had to move all the gear so he didn't run over any more things.

Now this is a .sig

n b j:
    About 5 mins from her house I was behind a Ford Laser hatch and we were turning right into a street, he had a huge gap in the trafffic and didn't turn right, since I was in no hurry I dodn't bother totting or anything, I just waited patiently behind him, finally there was a big gap, he still didn't move, I was just about to toot him, but to my amazement he took off and the horn wasn't required wink
    A similar thing happened to me once. A Commodore - unmarked - sat in front of me for ever at a stop sign, with its right indicator on, cheerfully ignoring huge gaps in the traffic. Finally, when there was NO traffic at all in sight in either direction he moved off. I was annoyed by this time so I beeped my horn to let him know his driving was not appreciated, and he immediately did a U-turn, whacked a light on his roof, and pulled me over.

I waited for these two clowns to tell me what they wanted, and the driver accused me of not stopping at the stop sign. I responded that I had, and I was surprised that he could have watched me as he turned right ahead of me. Whereupon his sidekick declared that he had watched me in the passenger mirror. Which, of course, is next to impossible. In any case, I knew he was lying because I *had* stopped.

They fined me while I bit my tongue hard to prevent inviting further harassment. No doubt I assisted them in getting their "target" stats for the morning. As they turned to walk back to their car the older one said to me, "Oh, we have to be careful with the power these cars have - if we take off too quick the tyres squeal." Yeah, and the fact that I beeped my horn at you had nothing to do with this little meeting...

I usually get along extremely well with police officers, and find them helpful and mature and generally "good blokes." But that morning I saw first-hand why some people hate them with a passion. A couple of experiences like that for a young bloke could be enough to give him a life-long hatred of the boys in blue.

Cheers,
    John Lane.
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

1000+ Posts
    Is there a law which allows confiscation of a car for doing burnouts? I wouldn't have thought there was.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!
    There is in NSW not first up but locked up first in storage that you have to pay for. Then a later offence can incurr confiscation.

Thats a bit harsh I think
    I mean sure, I am all for getting crazy hoons off the roads, but each case should be treated differently I think. The odd burnout or two in a quiet dead end street wouldn't hurt any1 I would have thought. Then again, I know some people in overpowered rice boxes do go crazy. But maybe each case should be looked at maybe in some kind of perspective.
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information