NULON Products
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: NULON Products

NULON Products

I'm about to give my car a service. Now are Nulon products any good. I am thinking of using the Worn Engine Treatment in the oil system. Also is the Octane Booster a go to use in the country when 98 octane fuel is not around. Thankyou. citroen_

Advertisement
    Regards,

Jinny.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Club Convertisseur

Previous
    R12
    CX 2200
    Flouride
    R20
    R19
    '74 GS Club
    '91 XM
    '94 XM V6

1000+ Posts
    I have used the Nulon octane booster in my 306 in the country when I couldn't find premium unleaded. Didn't seem to have any ill-effects and the engine didn't ping so I guess it works.

I can't comment on the worn engine treatment though - how many kilometres has your car travelled? XM V6 engines (series 1 12 valve ones anyway) are good for 400 000 miles I hear. I'd imagine it's not worth using the worn engine treatment in your car.

Derek

I have always used the transmission additive and have been happy with the results..quieter transmission, smoother changes. With the 20 I had it certainly made a difference to the ease of changing down from 3rd to 2nd with worn synchro rings.

I have sometimes used the engine additive and reckon that it does reduce the noise in older motors, which probably means that it cuts down mechanical wear. I also run Nulon coolant and am very pleased with it.

Nulon products are moderately priced compared to Slick and the like. Go for it.

cheers!
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

pba
    Tadpole
    Some years ago I added a can of Nulon worn engine treatment to my ID21F at an oil + filter change. About 1 k down the road, the oil light illuminated. I stopped, checked the engine bay - there were no leaks and the level was unchanged - and then returned home. I concluded that the Nulon completely blocked the Purflex filtre, or rather, the filter filtered the Nulon from the oil and in the process, became clogged. I changed the oil and filter again, and the Safari continued without drama. I used the oil + Nulon for the Gemini with Ryco oil filter, where it seemed to work ok - doesn't make Ryco filters look good.
    SO, if you are using a good, fine oil filter, don't use Nulon WET.
    pba

Fellow Frogger!
    Additives !!! roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau

Biggest scam ever!!

We used to get reports from the states on all the litigation that additive companies were going through for making false claims.

and i love that, pull the handle down test they use to prove the additives reduce friction.

oh well, do they work ?????
    But i wouldn't use them
    Peugeot
    "Anything else is a Compromise!"

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i have used nulon in a variety of makes of cars and in trannies, g/box's, diff's and engines even power steering and 95% of the time it made a marked improvement
    i don't think i would use any thing else bar nulon or redex in a car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I find Nulon is generally a pretty good product, its well priced, does the job well, and is Aussie Made.

Sell quite a bit of it at work, never had any bad feedback.

I'm about to try the octane booster, Nulon octane booster is one of the better ones on the market. Fast Fours mag did a test on like 8 various different boosters. Nulon came out the best, they reckon the next best thing is Avgas.
    Although to get the full benefit out of the Octane booster, you really need to advance the timing a few degrees.
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

I have used Nulon gearbox additive on a few cars & I agree, it's the ducks nuts when it comes to gearboxes.
    Engine additives; well with my track record with these, the Good Lord couldn't convince me to use them regardless of brands.
    With an XM, I personally wouldn't even think about it given the track record of early XMs doing camshaft lobes which was attributed to lack of lubrication on initial start up & although the greatest claim to fame of engine additives is the fact that the engine has a coating of snake oil when they start, the litigation taken against them that they lost also was based on the same thing that the teflon took the place of the oil which caused the higher wear rates.
    As has been asked; how many Ks has this car got on the clock? The reason I ask is that it has been reported overseas that stellar mileages have been reported in the past (up to 2.3 million klms) without major engine problems. eek! eek!

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I agree, I think Nulon and Teflon additives in general are great for gearboxes, but shouldn't really be put in engines.

It basically comes down to what Teflon was designed for. Teflon was never intended for use in internal combustion engines, but it was designed for lubricating pivots, gears, etc, etc, so it is totally safe to use in gearboxes, diffs, grease, etc.

I've recently started using another Teflon based product called Tri-Flow for lubricating the gear cables on my bicycle. It both penetrates and lubricates. Alot of other penetration oils tend to evaporate quickly and stop lubricating, due to high solvent content or something.

I also used some Tri-Flow on my CPU cooling fan bearings, when it stopped working a week ago. Now it works fine. The local computer place told me any light oil would be fine, but my experiences with Teflon influenced my decision to use Tri-Flow.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Wow...Tri-Flo is stiall aorund? I used to put that on my bike 10 years ago!!! Was the ducks nuts for chains and cables.

I tried the Nulon gearbox addative, was smoother for a little while but nothing huge. Replacing the linkages made the biggest difference, especially when cold.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

My very close family freind who races cars in the USA, puts air-spun graphite into the combustion chambers on new engines and turns them over with the fuel/ignition OFF.
    Then runs the engine on idle with new 1-2 litres of oil pouring in at the top, then straight out the bottom. Once the oil is about to run out, the engine is quickly shut down.
    Then its a filter and oil change, and AMSOIL RACE-TECH from there on.. no aditives, and were talking Indy 2.5 Turbo V8's that run to 20,000 %Rpm plus.... until they blow up.... lol.
    chris
    ... ptui!

The car has clocked up 170,000 which is not that many. as the car is a '91 model. Thank you all for your comments. I will give it ago and tell you how it went. citroen_ roll_lau
    Regards,

Jinny.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Club Convertisseur

Previous
    R12
    CX 2200
    Flouride
    R20
    R19
    '74 GS Club
    '91 XM