Oh Nein! Das M3 ist tot.
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

Oh Nein! Das M3 ist tot.

I know this isn't froggy, but we've been priviledged to have my uncle's 2002 BMW M3 SMG for the past week while he was on holidays. Well, tonight when he picked it up it sounded terrible! There is a horrible bottom end clanking noise that first appeared at low revs while cruising at 60km/h. It only has 19,000kms on it, and hasn't been to a track day yet either!

I found quite a bit on the internet about engine failures in these cars, and even a sound file which sounds exactly the same as our engine disappro .

<a href="http://freecyberbingo.com/m3/broken.wav" target="_blank">http://freecyberbingo.com/m3/broken.wav</a>

My uncle limped home and called BMW roadside service who are looking at it now.

Advertisement

It is such an amazing beast

<a href="http://groups.msn.com/Pug505/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=76" target="_blank">Photo</a>

<small>[ 28 April 2003, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Sounds like a sewing machine in a sweat shop !!!!
    And before ya start UFO no i don't know first hand seen em on the news. lol mallet
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

UFO
    Sounds very expensive for BMW! ooh err

Mind you my D Spec has done over 260 000km and has never even had the rocker cover off. citroen_ a_drink
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

nJm
    Apparently BMW North America has issued a recall as the oil pump tends to fail and they throw rods. Not good BMW! People expect more when they buy a $145,000+ car dead
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

NJM, on a slightly diff topic, how do you get the SGM models to do a full power launch, without the traction control?... i have been told its only allowed 12 times a year or BMW void the warranty? sounds unussual, but there's a certain SMG that we can't have fun in roll_lau , even with the Traction button ON(light "on" display) and with the bar guide right over?? can a full power launch be done or am i talking sheet?
    cheers Xq
    ... ptui!

I think I wrote something about the M3 being BMW's answer to the Gen 3

The sound of that engine reminds me of those toy machine guns that little kids play with, with that "rattatatatatata" noise. An awful sound for such a machine.

What's the design life on those things

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm
    Xqisid - I think if you turn off DSC and engage Sport mode, what you then do is hold the SMG's 'gear stick' up in the top right corner. It should bring up the revs in neutral to around 3800rpm with your foot flat on the accelerator, then after a couple of seconds off it goes in a cloud of burning rubber

I've never driven the M3 myself due to insurance reasons, but I've been in it doing plenty of things a French car could only dream about whistle .

Oh yeah, I'm not completely certain that's how you do it, but I think that's what it is. It is in the instruction book. And yes, it says doing often will cause a lot of strain on the mechanicals and void the warranty.

Incidently, my uncle said the car hadn't felt the same since he left it at a vallet parking while he was in sydney a few weeks ago dead .

<small>[ 29 April 2003, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

1000+ Posts
    Interestingly, there are two E30 M3's in the Saturday West Australian newspaper from last week...one LHD and one RHD (must be converted as they didn't come in RHD). A guy's importing them, and wants to sell one - it must be funding the other one. From memory they're around $38K. One of my favourites, the original 4 cylinder. I've still got the original press pack in its plastic...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

nJm:

I've never driven the M3 myself due to insurance reasons, but I've been in it doing plenty of things a French car could only dream about whistle .
    Making death rattle sounds? roll_lau
    ________
    Live Sex
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 04:00 AM.

1000+ Posts
    That noise wasn't dissimilar to the noise my sister's Clio was making recently. You can see why we were concerned! Hasn't happened again - just did it several times in one week.

Hope it's all sorted Nick. I wonder if Xq was driving it? whistle

Derek.

nJm
    Sorry, I should clear that up. It was the Vallet parking at the Melbourne airport - he was staying up in sydney. So Xq - you're in the clear .

BMW have told him he needs an engine replacement. Pretty shocking really, he loves that car so much it is like the 4th child in his family .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Hey come on guys, slip me a $20 and ill not also baby it, warm it up and down, park it away from other doors, but ill also lock it..... lol.
    Honestly the M3 we are trying this on belongs to one of those rent-a-exotic car rental places, you should how they drive it, i can't beleive they just treat it like sheet!, so id thought id just try a quick launch or too. Its plenty of fun though to in a smmooothh concrete car park and trying to keep the nose pointed in the right dorection with the asc off!
    BUT, I ALWAYS!! look well after the froggies, or people who are genuine, not some pompus rich-prick!.... They sometimes come in and literally throw me the keys!, not bothering to even look if i cought em....
    cheers Xq

ps, dont get your car Valet'd unless you have too. Its not so much that we want to thrash em, its just we are under pressure to work ultra efficiently, its very hard to speed in a car park, so to take the least time possible we just start em up and GO!, never mid waiting for them to warm up even a little, and you put the windows down and lights as your drive, avoid the other cars, get the ticket ready and forget about adjusting the seat....
    ... ptui!

nJm:
    Apparently BMW North America has issued a recall as the oil pump tends to fail and they throw rods. Not good BMW! People expect more when they buy a $145,000+ car dead
    Looks like no car is save from recalls, no matter what the cost.

Worst part is, a lot of components are now shared accross multiple manufacturers, so one companies recall can be anothers "change at next service - if it makes it!"!!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I think a few owners of VAG products are a little too familiar with that concept.

All those 1.8T cars with dud ignition coils - quite a few models there!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Here are a few links.

<a href="http://yoy.com/auto/m3_failure_index.html" target="_blank">http://yoy.com/auto/m3_failure_index.html</a>
    <a href="http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm" target="_blank">http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm</a>
    <a href="http://www.voy.com/118069/" target="_blank">http://www.voy.com/118069/</a>
    <a href="http://www.mbmw.com/e46_m3_engine_failure.htm" target="_blank">http://www.mbmw.com/e46_m3_engine_failure.htm</a>

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information