DeKa's family small car shootout
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

DeKa's family small car shootout

Hi all,

Advertisement

My cousin organised a small car shootout at our place yesterday (Sunday) afternoon.

We had the Clio Expression, the C3, my 306, my cousin's new Honda Jazz (1.5L CVT Auto) and a Mazda 2 auto.

Unfortunately it ABSOLUTELY poured with rain so we didn't get to do much, and I only took a couple of photos before we got rained out but here they are anyway - for what it's worth. We're going to try again soon

Macquered came over (just after I took these photos) and we went for a spin in the Jazz. From what others have said on here about CVT's before I was curious as to how they work when actually driving one. It was a bizzare sensation! When my cousin was driving it - foot flat to the floor, the revs just hover around 4500rpm (presumably peak torque?) and the car just increases in speed but the engine note doesn't change at all. The Jazz was exceptionally harsh in the ride however, compared to any of the Frenchies we were comparing it to. Tim my cousin even said so himself! Quite roomy inside though

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/derekbartlett/SmallCarShootout/Small%20Car%20Shootout.html" target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/derekbartlett/SmallCarShootout/Small%20Car%20Shootout.html</a>

Derek.

i think the honda takes out the ugliest interior award wink

rek
    I guess the interiors are all us mortals can discuss :p

Got to hand it to the angular 306 dash. People might say it's "dated" but I love it. I like the Mazda (except for that cream colour?!) and Renault as well .. nice, functional, but not too fussy, they make it look like you know what you're doing. The C3 and the Honda look like gimmicky toys in comparison.

Honda certainly have put a lot of thought into space utilisation I see .. how many little pockets and shelves does it have! Too bad they had to make it fuh..uhh..ugly in the process dead
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

rek
    Oh unrelated to dash prettiness, how were each of them like to drive in the cut-and-thurst of daily traffic (which would be the prime habitat for all of these)?

Did any stand out as particularly good/bad, weak/gutsy etc.?
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

The dashboard on the Mazda looks really good. I never thought it looked like that-actually.
    I love the light colours. 2_cents

1000+ Posts
    My brother's grrrrrlfriend has just bought a Mazda 2 (and my bro a Mazda 6) and it's quite a good car - yep, the interior is top quality. Quite a reasonable ride, but quite a bit of understeer and body roll, though. I only drove the demo they had before they took delivery of the top model (can't remember its name, something funky) which had smaller and narrower wheels, however. The car wasn't particularly rapid, but it quite easily revved to 7,000. It wasn't actually as good to drive as I expected, but I did have only a brief drive. BTW they considered a C3 but reckoned the ride and NVH of the Mazda was superior.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole
    The froggy cars look worst in my opinion. The plastics look third world and the cloth trim isn't much better

J180:
    The froggy cars look worst in my opinion. The plastics look third world and the cloth trim isn't much better
    Nah can't see that at all..I was thinking just how much better the C3 and Renault looked than the others....sorry Puglets

cheers!
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

1000+ Posts
    Thanks for the compliments Peter :p Yes, the interiors are all you can discuss. Don't blame me for the rain! Ask Brenno - macquered - about it - it was SO heavy that just by getting out of the car and standing on the road you got soaked feet :S

I didn't like the Mazda 2's cream interior - soooo easy to get dirty. You can see the mud on it already and it's only weeks old.

My opinion on the Jazz was it is highly utilitarian. I think that 'shelf' across underneath the dash in the Jazz could be dangerous if anything. It's not very deep at all, and I'd imagine if you planted your foot, everything would fall off the shelf onto your feet. Could be dangerous for the driver! My mum (who drives the C3) was not at all impressed with the Jazz. Her words were 'it's not special like the C3' She does like the Mazda 2 though.

I do like the Renault Clio dash - of course I prefer mine though wink

I moved the Jazz a little - I didn't drive it however. The Clio and the C3 definately have the edge on light steering etc at low speed. Jazz rear vision was shocking as well. Clio wins hands down at this - the C3 is still easy to reverse park though.

In the 1.4-1.5L class, I'd have to say the Clio wins hands down on outright acceleration - it certainly feels it anyway. Brendan can say somethign about that maybe? It could be just that it's a manual however?

J180 - why do you say plastics in the froggies are 'third world'? I jumped in the Mazda 2 and though 'Citroen C3 dash'. The colour scheme/dual colour thing is all the same. The C3 is an older car than the Mazda 2 so I'd hazard a guess that someone at Mazda copied that from the C3 prototype. The only significant differnce in the dash between the C3 and Mazda 2 is the C3 has 4 round aircon outlets - the Mazda 2 has round outlets on the outside and square outlets in the centre. Odd, but anyway.

If I was buying a 1.4L car for myself I'd definately buy the Clio - even though it's smaller, it's much more engaging, defiantely a driver's car. As Brendan said 'hmmm, you can still have alot of fun in this' At this stage i was struggling to see out the window!!

Derek

Thread Information