First Production Turbo - OT trivia
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

First Production Turbo - OT trivia

Quiz night fans! A while back we had a thread that argued about the first production turbo car. I couldn't find the thread again, but for those trivia revheads that like these things, I just read that GM released the Oldsmobile F-85 Jetfire, with a turbo version of the V8 eventually licensed to Rover, in 1962 alongside the Chevrolet Corvair Monza Spyder.

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Funny, I don't remember the Olds at all...

And the first aero use of turbos?

XTC
    Stuey:
    Quiz night fans! A while back we had a thread that argued about the first production turbo car.
    A Short Turbo History

1896 Rudolf Diesel introduces his design for the mechanical supercharger.

1905 The Swiss engineer Dr Alfred J Buchi is granted the first patent for a practical turbocharger - a supercharger driven by exhaust gases.

1915 As chief Engineer of Sulzer Brothers research department, Dr Buchi proposes the first prototype of a turbocharged diesel engine - but it wasn't efficient enough to maintain an adequate boost pressure.

1914-18 A limited number of turbocharger find their way onto world War 1 aircraft engines.

1920 After a period of development by General Electric, a turbocharger is fitted to a liberty engine which takes a Lepere bi-plane to a new altitude record of 33,113 feet in 1920. Mercedes and Fiat pioneer the use of motor car turbo's.

1923 Brown Boveri begin producing turbochargers on a regular production basis.

1925 Buchi introduces his separately manifolded 'pulse system' - still in widespread use today.

1930 During the 1930s at the first in Europe then later in USA, turbo's are becoming more and more popular, and in 1936 J.C. Garrett forms Garrett Corporation.

1939-45 The second World War sees thousands of general Electric developed turbo's fitted to allied warplanes. Garrett supplied the charge-air cooler (aftercooler) for the general Electric turbocharger on the Pratt and Whitney engined B-17.

1950 The increasing availability of special materials to withstand very high temperatures gives another boost to turbocharger development in the early years of the decade.

1952 The first turbocharged diesel engined racing car enters the Indianapolis 500.

1957 Turbo powered diesel truck engined make their first appearance (today, virtually 100% of heavy trucks have turbo diesels!)Turbo powered diesel truck engined make their first appearance

1962 The Oldsmobile Jetfire Turbo Rocket is the first production passenger car to use a turbocharger.

1965 Turbocharging has become common place on petrol driven racing engines in the USA.

1975 Porsche's legendary 911 Turbo is born

1976 A 2 litre turbo Saab achieves the performance of a normal 3 litre version.

1978 Renault completes its first full Grand Prix year as a turbocharged contender, heralding the start of the formula 1 turbo era with its twin turbo 1 half litre V6 engine. Meanwhile, Buick, Saab and Mercedes bring turbocharging to a volume car production.

1981 The U.K leading Turbo Engineer, Geoffrey Kershaw forms Turbo Technics, which rapidly establishes itself as the market leader in performance car turbo design and manufacture.

1980s-1990s Turbo's become commonplace on both petrol and diesel engine car- to the point where there are well over three quarters of a million turbocharged vehicles on British roads today.
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

The 1965 entry is interesting...

Indy cars, yes, there were some of them. Not all that many, but some. None on road racing cars at all...

There have been some wierd Indy cars over the years. Cummins entered a diesel car before the first world war. It did pretty well, too.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

1000+ Posts
    Ray Bell:
    Funny, I don't remember the Olds at all...
    Yep, I hadn't heard of it either...most sources mention the Corvair from memory.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Corvairs are always a nice memory too...

There's little doubt that I read about it at the time. I was getting HRM, MT, R&T, C&D and sometimes Popular Mechanics through that era... they would have mentioned it somewhere or other.

And I was travelling to work and back by train, gorging myself on these magazines daily. No doubt I would have read about it.

Remember it? Well, that's strange, I seem to remember most of the rest of the stuff...

By the way, here's a thread on turbocharging...

<a href="http://www.atlasf1.com/bb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56964" target="_blank">http://www.atlasf1.com/bb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56964</a>

Thread Information