Arguments for/against climate control
  • Register
  • Help

Arguments for/against climate control

For: It sounds sexy, but nothing for it.

Against: It won't blow a constant temp. Heats up and cools down, and then points at the windscreen or the floor. Cant get fresh air at the face without getting the same at the feet. I hate it.

Advertisement
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

nJm
    I do like the idea of being able to set it to one temperature and let it keep that constant all year without you touching it.

However, I do agree with you, as I like being able to have really hot air at my feet and fresh air on my face on cold nights.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

In what cars warwick??, in the 1000's of cars i drive the best climate cont. is by far BMW specsh the new models.
    The french stuff is crap and the aussie stuff is average at best.
    I also like the new Sl500 withthe seat pumps etc.
    cheers Xq
    ... ptui!

UFO
    I think the CC in the XM is perfect! Keeps me cool or warm as required and does a brilliant job of demisting the screen when I ask it to.

The bonus of rear side vents for the passengers adds a nice touch too.

Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Some cars have airmix control allowing cool air to the face and warm air to the feet.

Generally speaking, I find when the cars do need hot air, it'll direct it to the feet.

I love climate control. In any case, the issue of cool air to the face and warm air to the feet isn't any different without climate control (you can always choose manual setting anyway). On a good few older cars, one of the air settings was cool air to the face, and warm to the feet.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

rek
    Climate control's not bad, but it's made out to be better than it is. If I were buying a car, it'd be nice if it was standard, but I wouldn't pay extra for it as an option. To me it's just a minor convenience that I don't have to turn the heater down a bit to stabilise the cabin temperature once I'm comfortable.

One thing I like about the 306's HVAC controls is that if the engine is still cold and you set the heater on, it won't turn on the fan until the coolant is actually hot enough to heat the air. Saves me from getting a blast of icy cold air in the morning (do other cars do this too?)

By far the best thing, though, are those seat-mounted fan things to keep your arse comfortable in the Mercedes S-class.

BTW the best way to have the hot feet/fresh air deal is to have a sunroof. (That being said, I don't really miss not having a sunroof..)
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

The CC in my R25 would have to be one the oldest about, and I'm sure pretty basic in its operation compared to modern stuff, but I love it. Can be set to full to roast marshmallows off the vents, and on CC settings will keep the cabin at a nice temp all day long. The cool air at the face whilst keeping the feet toasty is a nice touch.
    Not a massive advantage over a standard system, but nice to have.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts
    Is the aircon in the 306 what'd you'd call climate control? I know it's pretty damn accurate with its 21 degrees when you turn on recirculate, select auto fan and 21

As for climate control being good or bad, I think that it's fine. I do enjoy being able to have cold out the top vents and hot out the bottom vents with Falcon standard air con though

One thing I dislike is digital aircon (ala C3 Auto, Pug 307) because of the need to aim and press buttons to change settings. I much prefer being able to put your hand out and turn the dial because a quick glace confirms the setting rather than a 'reading' glance where you take your eyes off the road for a longer period of time. I'm sure if you drove a car with digital settings more often one would get used to it.

Derek.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    the only gripe i have towards climate control in my 306 with the fan on auto is if there is a big difference in temps the fan when i kicks in after starting the car will blow you back out of the car
    other than that i find it pretty good that i can just set it and forget it
    i think mine lives on the 21 mark most of it's life unless it is really hot or really cold
    but i do like that the fan doesn't kick in untill the coolant has warmed up a bit
    nothing worse than hopping into a car on a frosty morning and having frosty air blasting at you
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Derek, you have CC. The 306 uses dials which is so much easier to use than the controls I had in the Golf GTI. The Golf was ordinary, the 306 is great with it's CC. As long as the system is easy to use and works, I like it. The Subaru system n my parent's Liberty is a very confused thing most of the time. Anyway, I could take it or leave it.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

1000+ Posts
    The climate in my Crssida is a bit weird. I always leave aircon on and let the climate sort it out, but it annoys be every cold morning by sending me heaps of freezing air before it eventually sorts itself out.

Once its woken up, its awesome (simply because you can forget about temperature altogether). I don't think I could go from having it on first car to not having it in future cars.

Still, its just a small luxury to me. Means I can snigger at the 'rentalness' of those who *only* have aircon.

HA!

On another note, Has anyone noticed how Toyota often advertise their new cars with "Genuine Toyota Air-conditioning"? *shudders*
    Tim

2013 BMW 320i Touring M-Sport xDrive (Estoril Blue)

XTC
    CC is fine (I have it), but nothing to write home about ... moving a switch/toggle/dail etc when one gets too warm or too cold isn't really a chore. And if you can't adjust a temp control without loosing concentration on the road, you shouldn't be driving !!

XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

What I hate is that if you set it at 22 degrees, it wont blow 22 degree air, it will blow whatevers required to maintain that temp. in the cabin. Usually warm or cold. I just like to get the temp. in my face that I dial up. I don't doubt that CC is very clever and all that. Just gives me the shits. Some people like it, but I dont particularly.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

nJm
    While I like the look of the 'digital' cc as in the 307 etc, I do prefer climate control that just uses knobs and an 'auto' button as seen in all Volvos etc (they use large knobs etc so it is easy for people wearing thick gloves to use the HVAC controls ).

The 505's HVAC are fairly logical (and the heater is quite amazing!), but not being able to put the a/c on the windscreen demister is really annoying. Actually, you can't use the aircon 'on' the heater. If you turn on the a/c and turn the heat right up you get a freezing face and scorching hot feet and legs. In our Magna you can use the A/C with the heater so it removes all humidity but keeps the heat everywhere.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

well my 740 is the best part of 15 years old now, and the climate control still works fantastically. i find that even if you have it set to 20 degrees, on a roasting day, its not as strong as having the A/C on full, and keeps the air output fairly low, so it doesnt feel intrusive. good CC on our old saab 9000 aero, digital, very effective. still, i prefer driving with the window down on a hot day, or if it is really hot, sticking the a/c on for 5 minutes.

chandler

I have digital CC in the C3 and yes you do have to take your eyes off the road when you are changing in between the half degrees like one does. I think overall however its pretty good. Keeps the windscreen clean and is pretty cool and powerful for a 1.4.Like derek said on a drive turning it off was like turning on a turbo...
    overall is pretty good. 2_cents

My Scenic has CC - great to maintain a constant temperature . I can turn of "auto" and still dial in a temperature of the air entering the cabin (as in non CC setups) - can also control fan speed and air exit points. Just takes a bit of getting used to

nJm:
    While I like the look of the 'digital' cc as in the 307 etc, I do prefer climate control that just uses knobs and an 'auto' button as seen in all Volvos etc (they use large knobs etc so it is easy for people wearing thick gloves to use the HVAC controls )
    Thats pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Being the geek that I am, I think the little screen and all the buttons are kinda cool.

In practice though, when you are on the move and need to change temps quickly, the setup in the 306 seems to work a lot better. I can't remember the last time I used the Auto function in the 306 either.

isn't that because your AC was broken for ages? I have the GTi6 on auto all of the time.
    - Lincoln

It wasn't really broken as such, it was just less efficient than it once was.....and made that funny noise.

When the compressor mount was tightened so the belt didn't slip, it reverted back to how it is now.

I find that if I use the Auto function, it blows a gale inside regardless of temp setting. I rather cool air seeping out rather than heaps of 21 degree air.

To me that sounds like it's broken still. The GTi6 doesn't blow a gale at 21 at all, very very rarely does, and when it does, it doesn't do it for long. It's the most efficient CC I've ever had.
    - Lincoln

macquered
    Being the geek that I am, I think the little screen and all the buttons are kinda cool.
    You know how your 306 is a N5, your 307 is a T5.

Just something geeky I thought you might like to add to your signature

The 306 seems to use a semi-auto climate control system, in that it doesn't control the air outlets, only fan speed and temperature. My main comment would be that I found the A/C to be feeble in the 306s I've been in.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Ta for that - was wondering what the model number was. The sig was looking a little askew.

I'm glad I still have the 306....feeble aircon or not wink

The GTi6 must have a freaky AC in it, as it's not feeble either. Oh well
    - Lincoln

I'm sure the GTi6 is a very, verrrrrry special car

Ahwell, if 206 drivers want to add their little car codes, you're all T1 Yep, just like that fast internet connection!

What are Citroen's & Renault's model codes? I'm sure Citroen will get plenty of explosive jokes when it launches the C4.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information