Finaly Home... Trip to Maleny review
  • Register
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Finaly Home... Trip to Maleny review

Hi Guys,

well we have (limped) home from the trek to Maleny QLD to the Cit in. We (Ang & I) have covered just over 4220 kms in the last couple of weeks. About 5days before we left Roger decided to take my ID19, it had been sitting under a tree for about 4months and I considered it needed about 3months of weekends work on it to get it upto scratch for the trip (I let Roger know that as well wink ). I let Roger know I'd spend a little time on it, however the CX decided to play up as well. After 7years of being infinitely reliable it decided to start dropping cylinders on anything more than about 1/3rd boost.

Roger picked up the '63 ID19 the weekend before we were to leave, while I changed the plugs & leads on the CX --no difference. After having no time to spend on either car I still hadn't sorted the CX. The night before we were to leave I found by vigorously shaking one of the wiring harnesses the motor would cut out and not restart. I cleaned the multiplug on the harness with some (expensive) contact cleaner and scratched it around the best I could. I thought I'd fixed the problems.

Hooked up the campertrailer and we headed off, I found the CX would drop cylinders under load at very low revs ( less than 1500rpm) and drop them on more than 1/3boost. Luckily the thing has incredible torque and effortlessly hauls up even the steepest hills without changing out of 5th (partial boost at even 1700rpm had us flying up hills). I returned between 24 - 29 mpg towing the caravan. On the second day the CX cut out while cruising at 110km/h in the middle of nowhere, by a stroke of luck we coasted into a petrol station in the middle of nowhere. I got out and plugged & unplugged the multiplug that I'd cleaned with the contact cleaner and the car started and ran again. It was about now I noticed one of the radiator fans was going very noisy in it's bearings. Even with the ventilation fans running full bore, they created a suprisingly large amount of noise, but no real airflow.

Tuesday we arrived at Lake keepit and setup the carvan & annexe to let 'em dry out after the drowning they got the night before. We stayed here for a couple of days and looked around Bob Alexanders incredible 'D' collection. He has about 4 old '57 Slough built DS19s, Body number #122 that he's restoring amongst numerous others. We had a BBQ there and sampled some of his very nice Home brew. His kids were madly trying to finish Bethany's Dspecials paint job (you can see it under my photo's. It appears to have been dubbed " The Hippie 'D' ;-)).

Onto Maleny, we did it in one day, the CX's temperature rose steadily to 102degrees up the glass house mountains, I pulled over to find it wasn't really enormously hot. I'd put a lot of effort into bleeding it's cooling system, but I think it did a big 'burp' and cleared an air bubble out under the strain of the climb (I also managed to smash the pole holder off the front of the caravan as I pulled off the side of the road Doh!!).

We arrived at Maleny at about 9:00pm, my parents were already sound asleep. They instantly recognized the very distinctive burble of the CX turbo and woke up.

Thursday we just lazed around and looked for any Citroens that turned up early. Roger arrived in the ID19 to Bob's place, Roger had spent quite a bit of time on the ID19. Here Bob and David Gries (who would be two of the most qualified 'D' mechanics in the country spent a whole day on the ID19). I've never had the sphere's off the old girl as they appeared to be soft enough (and what can you do with 'em when I don't own a gasser or tester). They solved my wheel tramping problem by fitting a dampner to one of the front spheres amongst the enormous amount of other work done to the car.

Advertisement

The weekend was fantastic, I thought I would have the only CX turbo there, when in reality 4 turned up. One was for sale and sold to the first person who realised it was for sale for $10,000aud (must be the bargain of the century, it was a nice rust free, unmolested car). A line of at least 50 DS/ID's was there, and Roger won the Motorhana in my ID19. I rang Alan Smith who I've known through the internet for a few years and he promised to bring down the coils off one of his cars to see if they would fix my running problems. We took the car for a spin and it didn't miss a beat (so the problem is obvioulsy temperature dependent). After I took his son Adrian for a spin in the car and it played up something terrible. I should have asked Alan if I could keep the coils and send 'em back when I got home .....

After the goodbyes we headed to the Gold Coast for a few days then headed home. The first day we covered about 1000km, however just as it got dark the CX started to falter, I could tell she wasn't at all happy by the popping/burbling from the exhaust. We decided to press on after stopping on the side of the road and having a LOT of trouble trying to restart it. We arrived at Parkes and the CX cuttout instantly as soon as I pulled up at a motel. I had a look the next morning, the cars was running extremely rich, we had managed to use 46litres of petrol in just 190kms. I filled up as the car was running quite ok, however as soon as the engine warmed up she wasn't happy again, drinking heaps of fuel, so we stopped at Tocumwal. Here I cut the fuel line to the cold start injector and plugged it hoping it had turned leaky and was pouring the additional fuel in (spraying the hot engine and turbo with petrol in the process... goodonya you dickhead shane, just burn the car down why don't you..... .....). To make matter worse than radiator fan that had turned noisy the previous week was new screaming from dry bushes whenever it switched on. Ang who had been very tolerant to this stage wants to know why me who seems to know everything about cars only has shitty cars that always play up ;-)

Proceeded with the car still running way rich. I think I must have filled with some crook petrol from a small petrol station the night before and 1 or more injectors were sticking from the gummy old petrol. The poor CX motor still pulled like a train, even flooding with fuel and we finished the last 800km's like this arriving home last night at 6:00pm having covered 4220km with the poor car hauling along with many problems. The last 800km's of which we only returned 15mpg as apposed to the 25-29 it usualy gets while towing. Now the poor old cars going to get it's much required coils and injectors cleaned now it's safely home.

phew, till the same time next year when we head to Canberra at easter for the Cit-in I'm sure the car will run perfectly !!

seeya,
    Shane & Ang.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Sad about the car Shane, However Ang's response should have been expected. It's just something they have to do ( heap shit whenever possible lol).
    Hope everything is sorted soon i mean the car as well lol dance cheers!

<small>[ 27 April 2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Damien Gardner ]</small>
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    you stopped in parkes and didn't even say hello
    how rude lol
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

MMM, Shane. I hate to say it but....

This sort of behaviour sounds to me like an overstressed motor doing some hard work for the first time in a while that has decided that its just about had enough. Head gasket on the way out, with the head losing torque when it heats up? A piston giving marginal seal? A valve or two on the edge? Or a combination of the above.

Checked the compression? Oil consumption and colour?

Glad you made it back. I've done too many of those long trip[s where you find yourself listening and worrying all the time.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Hi Rod,

I always choose not to look on the gloomy side :p

Seriously, she's an extremely strong donk, doesn't use a drip of oil or coolant. One of the coils has certainly gone heat sensetive. It's like the car is running on full choke (we've all seen what happens when you run a carby car on full choke). The car runs perfectly for about 12seconds once started, then it must switch over from the start circuit to the run circuit, and this is when things get bad.

My instant thought was the temperature sender for the fuel injection (once I'd got her home). I've looked this up in the bosch manual. As the motor gets warm it's resistance drops (so far so good !!). I found the temperature sender on the head, it reads 72.5ohms. I've traced it's wiring back to a big multi plug, here it's resistance is infinity ohms...... ie: The car is always thinking the motors temperature is about -40degree C and piles a sh!+load of petrol into the motor eek! eek! .

Shouldn't be difficult to sort, the most important thing to fix right now is the soft lower engine mount, this is what's putting a strain on the wiring harnesses by letting the motor flop around.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Shane, glad you got home OK.
    Reminds me of my trip to the last SA Cit-in, where the CX behaved to the Byron Bay turn-off then kept running rich / cutting out (Bl***y difficult trying to find enough space to coast a dead CX into on some of our roads, don't envy you with a van on the back). I ended up turning around, coming home(a perfect run)and taking the BX (wire to coil problem on mine).
    Now got to get my act together to have something properly ready to take to Canberra. Hopefully see you both there.
    Bruce
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

DoubleChevron:
    Hi Rod,

I always choose not to look on the gloomy side :p

Seriously, she's an extremely strong donk, doesn't use a drip of oil or coolant. ...

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Well, that's always been the best of signs in my book.

What's worrying me now, though, is your web site!

I hope the "were married" link (on <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/shane/)" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/shane/)</a> is a typo (hey, most people throw so many apostrophes in when they aren't needed that finding one hopefully missing would be a positive relief!) I'd hate to think that dead coil induced spluttering had been the cause of anything more serious in the matrimonial stakes!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Well Guys,

with respect to the badly overfueling problems, a few nights ago I pulled the fuel rail off to have a quick look at the injectors. Tonight I put it back and hooked up the fuel pressure guage. The mongrel thing has started and run perfectly ..... [email protected][email protected] of a thing ;-)

Seriously what I think has happened is I had to fill with ethonol fuel in NSW several times a bit of fuel line has distintegrated and become stuck in the pressure regulator. By removing the fuel rail & flushing fuel though it I've cleared the obstruction.

The moral of this story (the car had a brand new fuel filter fitted several weeks ago). REPLACE ALL THE FUEL LINES RIGHT NOW!!!!! The enthanol in our fuel disintigrating them :-(

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information