New(ish) Citroen dealership in Melbourne
  • Register
  • Help

New(ish) Citroen dealership in Melbourne

Opening 28/04/03. A new version of Citroen on Church. Corner Alexandra Pde. and Church/Chapel st. South Yarra. On that corner where the rug place and the bike shops and Bang Crash Wallop and numerous car dealerships were.

Advertisement
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

I guess it's not really a new dealership but I drove past Rick Damelians and wow, they must have expanded because their Citroen showroom is huge.

The row of C3's out front in assorted colours make it looks like a huge candy store.

XTC
    macquered:
    The row of C3's out front in assorted colours make it looks like a huge candy store.
    Careful they'll rot your teeth

I haven’t seen many "glowing" reviews of the C3 - everyone is slightly besotted with the shape, the interior room, the practicality of the car, but are less impressed with the interior materials, fit and finish. In it's price bracket it's competing against rivals with bigger engines and more standard equipment (not to mention much better warranties and lower servicing cost/spare parts). I guess buying a French car is not all about TCO and VFM. Who want's to look like every other car on the road - remember the days of the govt push for car manufacturers to share platforms ? Nova/Corolla, Pulsar/Astra, Crummiedoor/Lexcen, 626/Telstra, 323/Laser, Camry/Apollo (across 2 platforms).

Other Australian makes?

XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Warwick2:
    Opening 28/04/03. A new version of Citroen on Church. Corner Alexandra Pde. and Church/Chapel st. South Yarra. On that corner where the rug place and the bike shops and Bang Crash Wallop and numerous car dealerships were.
    They're the biggest selling citroen dealer in australia i believe....

unfortunately they'll have to be....that corner is the kiss of death (no street parking, little walk by traffic, not much of a showroom, no percieved prestige ie being opposite Duttons beside alfa like they are now )....even Hamiltons had troubles making that site work....i think the citroen dudes have signed up for some silly amount of time too....6yrs or something.....
    ________
    condos for sale Pattaya
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 04:00 AM.

I agree.

You only need to look at the track history of that location, plus the dealership looks pretty ordinary.

Hardly any space either.

Do they really think when you buy a new car, you're not going to drive there?

I guess the rent may be cheap, but many have been there before, and if you can't sell cheap rugs there, I don't think you're going to have a great time selling Citroens either.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

after seeing a C3 at the Cit-in I'm very un-impressed. If I was in the market for a new car the first thing I'd do would be to look at the car, pop the bonnet and look the car over. On opening the bonnet, nothing is painted around the motor. Overspray not clean lines where painting has finished. Even the bonnet catches were partialy covered in overspray. I opened the rear hatch, hardly any colour around the rear hatch (badly applied overspray is about it). It would be at this stage I'd leave without even driving the car. If the areas of the car I can see are this poorly finished, what's the rest than I can't see like?? My Uncle recently bought a brand new Mazda 2. He went to Melbourne and looked at the C3's. He didn't even bother to drive it, the salesman ignored him, so he got in the car to have a look and smashed a plastic part off the seat while trying to move it. He left after that, if the seat quality is so bad you can't move 'em without breaking it .... (anyone thinking BX quality plastic here??).

Obvioulsy I'm not saying it's a bad car, it's probably a brilliant little car, but in order for them to sell they need to lift there game. Another thing that screamed at me (after woeful CX electricals) was all the multiplugs under the bonnet had no rubber boots over them. They will fill with water and in a couple of years time there would be all sorts of wierd electrical problems happening.

Overall without even bothering to drive it I was extremely un-impresseed

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

nJm
    I think what struck me as odd when I was at a Citroen dealer a month ago was that for the same money as a C3 you can get a Xsara. Now, sit in a C3 and then a Xsara, and while the latter might look a bit older, it seems to have much nicer build quality and nice seats etc.

As much as the looks appeal to people in regard to the C3 and 206, I know I'd much rather buy a second hand car that feels like it was worth the 20-26k I just spent.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Always seemed to me that when any dealer sets up in South Yarra or thereabouts the price goes up at least 10%!

Does this one have a better track record?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Pug307:

Do they really think when you buy a new car, you're not going to drive there?
    Not to mention the joys of taking something for a test drive down Punt Road! Still, I guess you'll find out whether the thing overheats in a traffic jam!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

They used to be Citroen on Church in Richmond.

Don't know about their pricing, but their dealership doesn't look very upmarket - IMHO, you need to have an upmarket looking product and dealership to get away with things like charging more. Upmarket dealers have all the trinkets too.

If they're any good, they'll let you take the car down the South Eastern freeway, City Automobiles (Renault) did that. Otherwise, the area is pretty painful to test drive in, although you can tell how low speed ride, etc is. South Yarra (a yuppyish area) is the type of area you'd expect C3s in.

Bear in mind, in regards to pricing, a C3 isn't that expensive compared to things like the 206 and VW Polo. A Xsara is definately better value - it's very good value actually at driveaway pricing.

One thing I noticed on all the brand new C3s was rusty exhaust manifolds - is this normal? I can handle brake discs with rust on them - seems fairly common on new cars, but I haven't seen any rusty exhausts.

Haven't checked the 307, it's all covered by a metal cover. Maybe that's the reason the cover is there

I guess, if Citroen is giving $2500 cashback on cars in the UK, they have to cut costs somewhere. They are PSA's value arm now - mind you, the C5 seems reasonably well screwed together.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    as far as pugs go there is no way i would even contemplate getting anything later that a 306/406

peugeot have seem to have gone off on the wrong tact with their cars

the 307 has to be about the ugliest pug i have seen since the 404 and they just don't do a damn thing for me

last time i was at a dealership and had a close look through a few different 307's there and they really just turned me off new pugs
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I originally set up Citroen on CHurch, and jumped the fence to Alfa. There was no need to charge more for the cars there, and I'm sure there wont be at the new location either. If anything is gonna work there it will be Citroen. WHy? Because of the vast exposure, people will see Citroens that normally wouldnt. They will see C3's and think.... what's that? A C3 on stands out the front will be noticed that's for sure. That sort of car should sell well in South Yarra.
    But, please buy an Alfa off me instead.
    Good luck to Robert and Daryl.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

All of these negative comments about the C3 have made me realise, I have not seen a single C3 on the road. I've seen it at car shows etc, but never have I seen one driving along or parked ANYWHERE!

I guess I'm looking in the wrong places?

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

1000+ Posts
    Re the C3...
    -Why knock the roof fabric? Who looks at the roof anyway? It doesn't feel any different to that in my 306 which was a $30K + car new. The rippled plastic on the doors and dash is fantastic. Because of the finish it is completely non-reflective - a great safety point in my view!
    -I agree with Shane on the overspray issue under the bonnet etc. I haven't looked at other C3's. I figured it was the way the metallic paint is layered up on our car. Under the bonnet is all a light green with no gloss finish - as soon as you get the gloss finish, the colour is the darker green and has the metallic finish (look at the pics in my member gallery to see what I mean about the darker green)
    -Smashed a part off the seat? I'd say it was the operator not the car. Our car has had at least 20 people get in, fiddle, move the seat, drive. I think that says somethign that everyone we know likes the car. I'm not sure what he could have broken. Maybe all he did was pull the drawer out from under the seat?? I think that is more than likely what he did.
    -Our multiplugs under the bonnet have little caps on them. Bright red ones. Stand out against green paint!
    -Why knock a rusty exhaust manifold. It's cast iron. Of course it will rust! It goes away with in 100km. Ours did. Justin I think you'll find it's probably because it's right there in front of you and you're noticing it! On your 307 it's probably covered in plastic. Remember the car's just sat on a boat from France for 6 weeks+
    -More standard equipment? Please! ABS, 4 airbags, CD player with 6 speakers and stalk-mounted remote. The only thing I would have asked for in ours is 15" wheels.

Anyway, that's enough. It's not my car, but I think people should see the car on its merits, one of which being its price and equipment, ride and fuel economy, and stop knocking it. You cannot comment on a C3 until you have driven it on a decent run on the highway where it comes into its own. If anyone wants to come for a drive in ours, you are most welcome, just ask. It has approx 10 000km on it now.

Remember, you get what you pay for which is why I chose a 306.

Derek

Warwick2:
    I originally set up Citroen on CHurch, and jumped the fence to Alfa. There was no need to charge more for the cars there, and I'm sure there wont be at the new location either. If anything is gonna work there it will be Citroen. WHy? Because of the vast exposure, people will see Citroens that normally wouldnt. They will see C3's and think.... what's that? A C3 on stands out the front will be noticed that's for sure. That sort of car should sell well in South Yarra.
    But, please buy an Alfa off me instead.
    Good luck to Robert and Daryl.
    I hope they do well too.....

heh, I don't think you have too many alfas in the C3 price range

<small>[ 28 April 2003, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: DTwo ]</small>
    ________
    Marijuana card
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 04:00 AM.

ash
    I've seen the "New home of Citroen coming here soon" banner on numerous trips heading towards Punt Road, wondering whether this is, indeed, a new home for an existing outlet, or a brand new site. My fingers were crossed that it wasn't Church that was getting the chop, as it's such a lovely showroom, and it definitely does have the prestige element what with sharing space with all those Alfas. I almost ended up working at Church a year or so ago (but that's a whole other story...)

When I popped in to Peel St a couple of days ago, the facade looked a little... different? like they'd taken a lot of the signage down, in preparation for a move to South Yarra... But I'm presuming (both on the basis that the South Yarra store is a stone's throw from Citroen on Church, and from reading this thread) that it's Church that's being moved further down the road.

To be quite frank, it does look a little bit pants, and terribly small (the forecourt offers plenty of space, but surely being in Melbourne you'd want to have most of your cars indoors), however even though there isn't a great deal of pedestrian thoroughfare, there is an awful lot of automotive traffic - that IS a very, very busy intersection, and there's a great deal of frontage being on that corner.

When I went past on the weekend they had a couple of C3s in the window, and I noticed in the paper yesterday that their grand opening is today. All the best to them, I say, and hopefully it ain't the kiss of death...
    1998 Xantia V6 Exclusive
    //\\ 1975 DS23 Pallas //\\ 1987 BX19 GTi //\\ 1985 BX16 TRS

Good street frontage for sure - it's on the corner of two busy roads. Just not very user friendly, and the past track record.

There's currently an apple green and lucia blue C3, as well as a C5 in the showroom.

From what I gather, this is the successor to Citroen on Church. Citroen on Church closed earlier this year, and ads said that they would reopen at that South Yarra site - it's just been a bit slow.

Wouldn't make much sense to have a Citroen on Church and then this South Yarra dealership, given that the former Citroen on Church is only a 5 minute walk away!

Wonder where they'll service cars?

In regards to the C3, what part of the seat was smashed off? I can't really think of how you'd smash a part off the seat apart from the seat height lever, which does feel a bit flimsy for the force you need to apply to it. Like the 206, plastics aren't its strong point - especially the glovebox.

Bear in mind, I'm not used to cast iron manifolds - you have to admit, it doesn't look great in the showroom.

In regards to value, it's better than the 206 and especially Polo for sure. What you have to remember is that if you're getting an auto Exclusive (which I'd suspect a lot of people would want, as there's no auto in SX), you're looking at $26,500 on the road with the price rises and metallic - now of course, there must be some room to move with price. That's basically Magna 3.5 V6 territory, which isn't exactly a poverty pack car! For a lot of people, that seems like a lot of money for a supermini with only 57kW.

That $26k just looks a bit funny next to those Xsara prices on Citroen's pricelists

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

rek
    I went past it on my ride to work today. Yeah it does look like it needs a few extra renovations.

If it wasn't for the parking and such, the location gets heaps of visibility, right in the demographic where cars like the C3 are probably most appreciated too..

It would have been great if they went the whole-hog, teamed up with a restaurant, and opened a "Hippo Citroen" type restaurant/dealership, like there is on the Champs d' Elysees in Paris citroen_
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Saw it today, good to see it come to life.

They should remove the fencing though, and the "opening soon" sign doesn't look great.

There was a early 90s Subaru Liberty there

Hopefully things roll along well for them. Just need to improve the presentation - the old Citroen on Church looked great. It also was across the road from Renault

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information