Drove a Lexus Soarer
  • Register
  • Help

Drove a Lexus Soarer

Got a drive in a friends 96 Lexus. Bloody hell, I'd hate to see the circut diagram on this thing - the steering wheel drops down when put the key in , electric adjustment on everything (even the mirror dimmer is electric.....), air suspension, quad cam V8, TV, sat nav, reversing camera, etc etc.

Not as inspiring to drive as I would have thought. Nice steering feel, but tramlined like a bastard. Heaps of go (floored it up the freeway on ramp - broom broom!! 0-100 in 6.something seconds I think) Not nearly as quite and smooth as I expected either. Motor fairly harsh on idle (owner said see, you dont even know its on at idle, but I could definantly hear and feel it, but he is to nice to argue with!), but pretty good once on song.

Advertisement

And how do the japs manage to make leather look and feel like cheap vinyl?!! Still very Toyota inside - nasty shiny plastics, orange peel paint with bits of grit under the top coat, out of direct view parts of the body lucky to get primer type build. Bloody good value for what you pay, but still too japanese for me, and I dont even want to think about major mechanical dramas down the road.
    Funky door hinges though....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Haakon:
    Got a drive in a friends 96 Lexus. Bloody hell, I'd hate to see the circut diagram on this thing - the steering wheel drops down when put the key in , electric adjustment on everything (even the mirror dimmer is electric.....), air suspension, quad cam V8, TV, sat nav, reversing camera, etc etc.

Not as inspiring to drive as I would have thought. Nice steering feel, but tramlined like a bastard. Heaps of go (floored it up the freeway on ramp - broom broom!! 0-100 in 6.something seconds I think) Not nearly as quite and smooth as I expected either. Motor fairly harsh on idle (owner said see, you dont even know its on at idle, but I could definantly hear and feel it, but he is to nice to argue with!), but pretty good once on song.

And how do the japs manage to make leather look and feel like cheap vinyl?!! Still very Toyota inside - nasty shiny plastics, orange peel paint with bits of grit under the top coat, out of direct view parts of the body lucky to get primer type build. Bloody good value for what you pay, but still too japanese for me, and I dont even want to think about major mechanical dramas down the road.
    Funky door hinges though....
    I've driven the V8 one too........one very dull car from a drivers perspective, big, heavy, slow for what they are (barely if any faster than any efi v8 holden....due to their weight).....handling isn't so bad....it's predictable in the lardass rwd jap car sense

they are on the other hand very well built and usually extremely quiet at idle etc(maybe haakon's friend had exhaust work or something)......fantastic engine with great top end, not alot of low end torque for this application though.

drove like a rwd v8 camry +300kg
    ________
    LIVE SEX
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 03:58 AM.

Drove the twin turbo straight six version (2.5l ?) of this a couple of months ago.
    It had the mandatory boy racer 6" tailpipe and 25 series rubber(of course).
    Had heaps of go and made some good noises as the wastegates let go. Could actually feel the car squirm and twist as you put the boot in and the hair dryers spin up.
    I think it makes slightly more horses than the v8 version.
    But yeah, really Japanese.
    "drove like a rwd v8 camry +300kg" sums it up pretty well. :p

Cheers

Cal
    Let's not forget, not all Japanese cars are barges like these things. Series 6 RX7, MX5 and Integra Type R come to mind. All have been built with weight saving taken to a level the Europeans can't match at that end of the market place.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Gus
    I dont even want to think about major mechanical dramas down the road.
    I'd be less worried about mechanical dramas (after all, it is a toyota) as what happens when the electronics start to fade...

Cal:
    Let's not forget, not all Japanese cars are barges like these things. Series 6 RX7, MX5 and Integra Type R come to mind. All have been built with weight saving taken to a level the Europeans can't match at that end of the market place.

Cal.
    Very true, I don't believe anyone stated all japanese cars are barges......

Though I wouldn't say the TypeR, MX5 and RX7 can't be matched or competed with in weight saving or design by "europeans"....there are all sorts of European makes and models that never see these shores .....
    ________
    Laguna Bay Condos
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 03:58 AM.

Gus:
    I dont even want to think about major mechanical dramas down the road.
    I'd be less worried about mechanical dramas (after all, it is a toyota) as what happens when the electronics start to fade...
    Electronics, good point.

Imagine if it were French

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

ash
    I took a friend's twin-turbo version for a spin about a year ago and was pretty impressed. About as impressed with it than he was with my CX... maybe wink

They're a fairly impressive car (as much as one can tell from a 20min straight full-throttle drive), but I don't know that I'd ever trade him for it. And I still question his logic of selling a beautiful black Jag XJS targa to get one...

Oh, and btw, it's good to be back
    1998 Xantia V6 Exclusive
    //\\ 1975 DS23 Pallas //\\ 1987 BX19 GTi //\\ 1985 BX16 TRS

Haakon, how big/heavy are those doors!, id hate to try and be the young apprentice panel beater, who was asked to remount one.... lol
    Xq

ps, ive been in, but not driven, the twin-turbo manual. Accordig to the owner they are rare in manual..??..
    ... ptui!

Thread Information