Unbiased comparison.
  • Register
  • Help

Unbiased comparison.

I've been helping a guy look for a car & advising whenever I could on various types & models.
    To my knowledge he doesn't own a French car nor ever has, but of late has started noticing them.
    Last night I received an e-mail from him that I thought I'd share as it gives some idea of what the buying public really think of the line up at the Motor Show (in Brisbane) in comparison to the cars we all take for granted. mallet

"We went to the motor show last night as I am up for a new car for work. We came away a little
    dulled by the endless list of lifeless, soul-less cars. How ugly is the Echo sedan!!!!! As my wife put it. 'None of them have character, they just don't make any impression.' Something of course the CX obviously has. She saw a wagon CX on the way to work on monday and said she couldn't take her eyes off it. She said she couldn't say whether she loved it or hated it, 'It was just so different!'."

Advertisement

Kinda says it all don't it?

Alan S dance dance
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

How about a Clio or a 307 ?

Both have the "difference" it sounds like they're looking for, and both are reputably very good. I'd go for the Clio, since, based on the reviews I've read, it still has proper French (big) car ride and quietness, whereas it sounds like Pug have gone "German" with the 307 when it comes to suspension setup.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

If you want character, the C3 isn't bad.

I don't know if you'd say the 307 has gone German in setup. The most German of its competitors is the Golf, and the Golf is soft and squishy, whereas the 307 is criticised for being a bit too firm. A 307 is quieter than a Clio.

I can't complain with the effort they've put in to improve perceived quality though. That has never been a strong point of small French cars. It's certainly better, but the bean counters have left their trail.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

<span><span class=ResizableText0>
    Originally</span> posted by Alan S: <strong> Something of course the CX obviously has. She saw a wagon CX on the way to work on monday and said she couldn't take her eyes off it. She said she couldn't say whether she loved it or hated it, 'It was just so different!'." Alan S dance <span class=ResizableText0> dance
    </span> </span>
    My own mother used to say that regarding my old and abused ex bathurst ALFA GT, 76'. she loved the quirky door handles and the way it felt like a war plane cockpit inside, but she rarely metioned the lovely orange shades/spots/lumps over the plum coloured panels. lol.
    Xq

ps, i recomend to your associate a Cit like GibGibs
    or a Renault Scenic.
    ... ptui!

Ahh... for the days of the ID and the Borgward Hansa!

Fellow Frogger!
    how much is she looking to spend?

For $10 - 12,000 she could find herself feeling like the queen of the highway in a super tidy ds23.

what could be better than that?

more up keep every year - but its worth it for the joy of getting around in such a beautiful beast.

Who's surprised she found little joy at the motor show?

Alan, re:
    " She saw a wagon CX on the way to work on monday and said she couldn't take her eyes off it. She said she couldn't say whether she loved it or hated it, 'It was just so different!'."

To be fair though, you could say the same thing about a naked hobo or road kill.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

To be fair though, you could say the same thing about a naked hobo or road kill.
    Oww......... Someone's going straight to hell for that one........... moon whip roll_lau

Jono clown
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Thread Information