Hacked Off
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Hacked Off

Hacked Off

Posting here as I'm suffering from Forum Withdrawal Symptoms. (A new illness known as FWS).
    As Alan S and some of you know, the Andyspares.com Discussion Forum was hacked over the weekend by some fool in Turkey, who proceeded to delete 2 years worth of technical discussions and chat and replace it all with some message urging us to visit his own website!
    The lucky part is that we had made a back up of the Forum on Friday night, so we should be up and running soon, but our Turkish friend had caused such damage that the Forum will not work correctly even after uploading the backup database.
    I'm angry, not just at the hacker (it happens) but also at the weaknesses in the software used to power the Forum, despite the fact that we try and apply the latest security versions and patches. If you have a Snitz forum, beware! The version used on here, Infopop is hopefully more resilient.
    mallet

Advertisement
    BX 1.7TD TZD 1993
    Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi 2004

I'm a security professional (I'm chief technologist at a national IT security firm), so if you want any volunteer (=free) help hardening your site against further attack, let me know (e-mail me offline). I'm good with coding stuff, and I'm an active contributor to OWASP, the Open Web Application Security Project at <a href="http://www.owasp.org" target="_blank">http://www.owasp.org</a>

I help run <a href="http://www.aussieveedubbers.com" target="_blank">http://www.aussieveedubbers.com</a> on XMB (which is just a complete nightmare, but that's a different story.

Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jon Wood:
    [QB]Posting here as I'm suffering from Forum Withdrawal Symptoms. (A new illness known as FWS).
    As Alan S and some of you know, the Andyspares.com Discussion Forum was hacked over the weekend by some fool in Turkey, who proceeded to delete 2 years worth of technical discussions and chat and replace it all with some message urging us to visit his own website!

Please Mr Wood.......can I have his website URL???

I'd just lurve to sign his guest book!!
    moon moon moon roll_lau roll_lau mallet

Alan S a_drink whip
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

<a href="http://www.buyukcekmece.com" target="_blank">http://www.buyukcekmece.com</a> was the URL. Unfortunately, as I have no understanding of Turkish I dunno what that website is all about.

All I know is that some Turkish Guys have been targeting any websites with a Snitz Forum, then hacking the forum Administrators password, once logged in as Admin (thats normally me) you can delete or make changes to the whole forum.I've never been to Turkey or upset anyone there. They are choosing random forums by simply enetring "Snitz Forums" in the search engines then working their way through the list!

Thanks, Andrew, for your kind offer. I will be in touch soon.
    BX 1.7TD TZD 1993

UFO
    Ah, so that may explain why no one has had time to respond to my email regarding a quote for some parts and freight to Aus??

If that is the case, then I can wait a little longer. If someone is being slack, encourage them for me please Jon. mallet

(quote was sent from my work addy so will come in [email protected]) wink
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Craig,
    I know that we do have your email and are dealing with it, because the bloke that does the export just phoned me and asked "if I knew a bloke called Craig Keller!".
    You will receive an email from Duncan Owens of our Export Dept shortly.
    BX 1.7TD TZD 1993

UFO
    Thanks Jon (and Duncan). Got the email this morning and info was spot on. Will get back to you shortly!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

"Jon can't come to the phone at present...he's on the forum...."

All back & running with a minimum amount of disruption as luck would have it, so anyone wanting to go to the Andyspares forum can now do so. dance dance dance dance

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thanks Alan - what a tedious business it must have been for them.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information