When you have to throw away your "throwaway."
  • Register
  • Help

When you have to throw away your "throwaway."

Heard a story recently about someone with a Hyundai (a.k.a. Korean throwaway) who had a small front end mishap. Don't know how but apparently not all that bad, found headlights impossible to buy new (NLA) and rare as rocking horse poo second hand, as front end parts usually are, and as a result the insurance wrote the car off. eek! eek!
    I don't know the age or model but knowing some of the horror stories of Jap cars headlight prices & the fact that CX headlights were A$300+ each about 18 years ago it's probably not all that hard to imagine that this story is genuine.
    Nice little trap for someone buying a "cheap runaround" unregistered from some 'Honest John's Budget buys' type backyard car dealer....wot ya seez is wot's ya get!!

mallet

Alan S

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

hehe stick to R12's, both the car and the parts are cheap :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Hmmm... my daddy just bought a cheap 1991 Excel...

Replacement front guards on a Excel, Korean $875+gst, or Taiwan copy $550+gst, as my neighbours daughter found out.
    That will teach her to buy cars built with .5 guage steel rather than the .8 most good jap cars have.
    Remeber pay peanuts, you get monkey's!!!
    Xq
    ... ptui!

1000+ Posts
    Parts (mechanical or body stuff) for my '89 Cressida are INSANELY expensive. I'm sure it would'nt take much for the RACV to write it off when its only insured for $7500. Something I've thought long and hard about since its been booked in for its engine re-build tommorow....
    Tim

2013 BMW 320i Touring M-Sport xDrive (Estoril Blue)

rek
    Cars depreciate, spare parts don't
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    makes our funny little french cars look more appealing though seeing as though japan is only across the water and france is on the other side of the world so really shipping you would think would be worse for french car parts
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

The point with this was not so much the price of parts but the availability. Whichever model this was apparently headlights are NLA (No Longer Available) and that to me would haveto be a real big worry.
    Alan Bond was the original importer of Hyundai & Daewoo went into receivership a year or so ago and all you have to do is take a decent look at these things to realise that you can't improvise most parts. I would also doubt, with the experience I've had with Korean appliances, that any allowance would be made for anyone owning one of their products beyond 10 years so the supply wouldn't have been allowed for.
    I think it was Craig who was at a meeting at one time where someone stated that Michelin make a tyre specifically for some of these & if they are replaced by other brands it's anyone's guess how (if) it will handle.
    It has also been reported that the auto transmissions seem to see out the warranty plus a bit & then cost around $7500+ to rebuild/replace which makes the $14990 "drive away - no more to pay" sound a bit hollow.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Replacement front guards on a Excel, Korean $875+gst, or Taiwan copy $550+gst, as my neighbours daughter found out.
    $550-$875, for a front guard, they've got to be joking.

I bought a new guard for my R12 a few years ago, $125 for a genuine Renault part. (This was pre-GST).
    The car manufacturers are sure trying hard to make you buy a new car instead of fixing anything, even minor problems.
    I guess fixing the guard would be a nightmare for a panel beater.

Ren
    cheers!
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Ren tin, just to be more accurate that price for the guards was for the pair, brand new and primmed.
    Xq
    ... ptui!

And the first thing people ask Peugeot owners when they get into a serious discussion is "Aren't the parts dear for them?"

I usually answer that I use so few it doesn't matter... which is true enough. I wonder what it would cost me to run a Commodore my regular 80,000kms a year?

are friend of my get him self a new hyundai 3yrs ago he had a few little things go wrong with it,then the day after the 3 year warranty the transmissions went on him,the car only did 55,100ks on it, the cheaps price he get for the transmission was $4,200 +1500 for labor and 2 buy a 2nd hand transmission was around 1,810 + 900 for labor note it had two take 2 days to finish,
    so u buy a korean shit,you get shit,
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Thread Information