Review of 206 GTi 180
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

Review of 206 GTi 180

From british "4car"

Advertisement

<a href="http://www.channel4.com/apps26/4car/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=220&pageid=5459" target="_blank">http://www.channel4.com/apps26/4car/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=220&pageid=5459</a>

They think is it nice, but it seems it doesn't beat the Clio, CooperS or 205 Gti 1.9 .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Thats more or less what i was expecting,... what id like to see is a Track time comparison between a 205 Gti 1.9, a 206 Gti, a 206 Gti 180 and a Clio sport for good measure.
    Funny how they mentioon that the 180 isn't as much FUN as the 205,... but i don't think the CooperS or the Clio are as much fun as a humble 205Gti either...
    anyway my 2 francs..
    cheers Xq

ps, you'd think peugeot would have done something about the seating, its not to bad on my best mates gti, and after a while the pedals are pretty good too..
    ... ptui!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    why do they have to compare it back to a car that came out near 20 years ago ??????????
    cpmare it to the GTi and the 306 by all means but the 205 is a much older car
    may as well compare the 607 with the 604 or the 406 with a 404
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

pugrambo:
    why do they have to compare it back to a car that came out near 20 years ago ??????????
    cpmare it to the GTi and the 306 by all means but the 205 is a much older car
    may as well compare the 607 with the 604 or the 406 with a 404
    Admittedly this type of comparison is usually a bit strange. Normally cars get better than time - they're better than their predecessors.

The 205 GTi has its place in history, a car with iconic status. Its fun factor is still well and truly up there - people buy these types of cars for fun, and on that basis, it's still competitive.

You can't really say that of a 404 or 604. At the risk of enduring the chagrin of others, I'm quite sure the 406 is overall a better car than the 404 for example.

Regards,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I can't help but think that people have this magical feeling of the 205 which tends to get exagerrated in ones head the longer it is between driving stints. If he drove them back to back on the same roads, then his comments would be fair, but I can't help but think this guy is being idealistic and, as a result, unrealistic. But that's UK journos for you, I found...don't let the facts get in the way of a nostalgic trip.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

GTI124:
    If he drove them back to back on the same roads, then his comments would be fair,
    Lincon, we can do this test our selves.... how bout, you first go and get the gti6, parry brings his 205, Dave brings the Clio, my good mate brings his CooperS and together we go and rip a 206-180 from NZ, and since im not bringing a car, ill pilot the 180..... We all then meet at Wakefield and have stop watches ready...
    hows that sound...
    cheers
    Xq

ps, go 1/5's on the theft charge?..
    ... ptui!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    it would also be like doing a comparo between the old monaro and the new one
    the cars are 2 totally different machines even though the old monaro is held high in a lot of petrol heads minds
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Well it's not even a comparo! He's not driving the 205 1.9 here, he's recalling it. It's drivel, absolute DRIVEL!!!
    - Lincoln

I can probably only comment on a point or two. The comments about throttle response not as good as the 205 wouldn't surprise me.

It's a Peugeot throttle by wire system with the motorised throttle body - based on my experience, the response is a bit dozy compared to a standard cable throttle.

And well, 206 pedal positioning is pretty infamous

I'm sure the 206 GTi180 is a fine car, it just seems it's a bit too sensible for the reviewer With things like ESP, you expect it to do sensible things - you can always turn it off though. It'll also do less wacky things at the rear as it's got those diagonal bars on the rear suspension, reducing the rear wheel steer by quite a bit - on the 206 GTi list, there's a 2.0 SW driver who says those bars have removed the wacky oversteer to some degree.

Regards,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC
    Pug307:
    And well, 206 pedal positioning is pretty infamous
    Regards, Justin
    Never understood this ... the close pedal placement is great ... you can get across to one and the other (or roll the foot) just fine. Even on the driving courses I've done, it's not been an issue (and in these you are reaching for the brake, clutch and accelerator dozens of times per lap). The very first time I test-drove it, I did have 'a' moment where the brake and accelerator was hit at the same time - but only once, never again.

Now I wouldn't say my size 8.5-9.0 feet are the largest in the world and there is plenty of blokes in the 12+ category, but I also know a 6"3' 206GTi driver who says the pedals are fine too.

The trouble with journo's is they drive the car once, never get any real time (weeks) to get used to it, then they bag it based on some "misty-eyed reminisce" of a car they haven’t driven in the last 10 years !...Big babies crying too much. cry

peugeot_ XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Actaully MOTOR, EVO and CAR keep cars for about 6moths, and Motor kept thier demo/test 206 Gti for 13 months..
    As for the pedals they are wrong in the sense as Placement from Steeringwheel to Seat to Pedals.. but true even im used to it now, not as good as my 306 but not as bad as my old Alfa...
    cheers
    Xq
    ... ptui!

Administrator
    Pug307
    It's a Peugeot throttle by wire system with the motorised throttle body - based on my experience, the response is a bit dozy compared to a standard cable throttle.

[/QB]
    To my knowledge, the fly by wire system with computerised control of throttle opening is getting more and more necesary to comply with emission regs. Even if you tramp the throttle, on a fly by wire car, the computer will only open the throttle to Wide Open Throttle at the quickest speed it determines needed.

XTC
    xqisid:
    Actaully MOTOR, EVO and CAR keep cars for about 6moths, and Motor kept thier demo/test 206 Gti for 13 months..Xq
    Not saying you're wrong, but that's odd .. I remember reading many of their reviews ending with "It was such a shame to have to hand back the keys" -> which insinuates to me at least, they don't get a good chance to test them out - any good motoring group would try and get a review ASAP (anything to beat the opposition). That's the press for you.

Rarely to you see another article 6-12 months down the track (except in some comparison) ... based on this then MOTOR, EVO and CAR must have a stock of 50+ cars, considering all the reviews they do ?

peugeot_ XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I've driven a 206 a number of times and the pedal placements threw me out enough to be a large factor in not buying one. One of the reasons I bought the Golf GTI over the 306 GTI6 was the pedal placement as well. I made the mistake of doing my last test drive of the 306 in some wide sneakers. I chose my sneakers over the car. Silly me, as I barely wear them anymore. But my rationale is I have size 11 feet and they're flat and wide...my fear was that even my working shoes would have problems...

I'm sure you'd get used to it though. I have mates with big feet that wear climbing shoes to drive their 206 GTIs, and I didn't feel the car was good enough to sacrifice the comfort of my feet! A bit silly when I write it all out like that...
    - Lincoln

well.....

It really saddens me that he doesn't find the 206gti180 as much fun as the 205gti.....then again.....looking out into my driveway.....NAAAhhh

seriously for a moment though....it does seem dissapointing....let's see how it goes when actually lined up against it's competitors....
    ________
    MiddleAgeBlondie cam
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 03:55 AM.

XTC206:
    xqisid:
    Actaully MOTOR, EVO and CAR keep cars for about 6moths, and Motor kept thier demo/test 206 Gti for 13 months..Xq
    Not saying you're wrong, but that's odd .. I remember reading many of their reviews ending with "It was such a shame to have to hand back the keys" -> which insinuates to me at least, they don't get a good chance to test them out

Rarely to you see another article 6-12 months down the track (except in some comparison) ... based on this then MOTOR, EVO and CAR must have a stock of 50+ cars, considering all the reviews they do ?

peugeot_ XTC206
    Well, i used to subscribe to all 3 and others, (im a fustrated Jurno), and at any given moment they had a reasonable fleet of long term test cars,... EVO had a 355 for over 8 months... you don't see an article 6-12 moths later, you see an update of the car that particular jurno has driven that particular month.... which over a period time will give you an indication of what these cars are like to live with. But their stock isn't as large as 50+ maybe 10-15 any given month..only certain manufacturers hand over cars for long term testing.
    ONE VERY SHORT COMING..... they are nearly ALL sport/touring type cars... like the 180, no family sedans/hatches etc,.. which is what most of us think of, when we say "everyday car"...well maybe Wheels does these sort of cars, but really who cares...
    The particular 206 GTi that Motor had for 13 Months, was given a really good send off.. and funily enough they said "we were reluctant to hand it back", which i think is more of an indication that it was a good car to live with, rather than they didn't have it for long enough.. but since most reviews are SUBJECTIVE,.. each to his own.
    I wont write any car off, till ive driven it, and those who know me better know that ive driven nearly anything registered on the road, perks of being a valet driver, up sides you get the odd exotic, ie DB7 aston..aghh, and then you get 1 million rentals in between the odd Bomb, ie 200B... never mind.
    cheers Xq

Ps. i think the 180 is getting a rap like when the 01 WRX (bubble lights) was being reviewd.. it isn't that bad in the flesh,... but it is a better car than the older wrx, hence i want to wait and drive the 180, then hop into my 306 and my mates 206 and parry's 205, see how we go..
    ... ptui!

Xq, I know what you mean about seating position. As you know, I too owned an Alfa, an 85 Sprint, although not the most comfy car, its close pedal arrangement and VERY responsive engine by 1985 standards gave me a good base for moving to the S16.

Now, when trying to compare the 180 to the 205, the writers have over 10 years hindsight and water under the bridge. They seem to forget the negative and remember the positives, however this is exaclty how I am with my car, when the 'lowered-to-its-arse' ride is forgotten when I remeber how satisfying it was to hold a WRX in my sights and loose a 180SX and the SSS. Like what was said above, when driven back to back, the refindness, smoothness etc of the 180 will be very apparent. Sure, Peugeot could make a car now which flogs the 205 for 'buz' factor, but they would most likly only be sold to the purists. Unfortunatly purists don't make up the bulk of sales these days. Therefore they must aim the car at a market which will draw both purists (albeit who may mock its buz-factor against the 205) and those who just want something different.

<small>[ 19 April 2003, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Phasis ]</small>
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Phasis:
    Like what was said above, when driven back to back, the refindness, smoothness etc of the 180 will be very apparent. Sure, Peugeot could make a car now which flogs the 205 for 'buz' factor, but they would most likly only be sold to the purists. Unfortunatly purists don't make up the bulk of sales these days. Therefore they must aim the car at a market which will draw both purists (albeit who may moke its buz-factor against the 205) and those who just want something different.
    Well put, perhaps they could sell two options one as listed in the review and a more on the edge version, like honda does with its TypeR cars??
    But Peugeot don't have the market share or money to do that, do they? Id like to see it happen though..
    cheers
    Xq
    ... ptui!

Thread Information