Good Dealer Service
  • Register
  • Help

Good Dealer Service

Just dropped in my GTI6 for warranty exhaust repair at Asquith and Johnstone. I asked them to check the front end. And some other small things. They just called me and told me they were going to do the following:

Replace intermediate exhaust.
    Replace clutch pivot bushes (gearbox R/R) and replace clutch if needs it
    Replace clutch cable
    Replace both lower control arms - bushes are gone....there's the loppy turn in that was evidently pointed out by tekkie on the last cruise.

I found them easy to talk to and they CAME TO ME with additional problems that needed fixing.

BTW Something I am thinking about doing.... is there a high performance clutch available for 306GTi6? If there is, I might use one instead of the original.

Advertisement
    Peugeot 306 GTi6
    Peugeot 205 GTiS2, you want it? call me 0414 996 499,

Glad to see you've got some good service out of them. Shows that they might be helpful with my complaint with them on the GTi6. Good to hear
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Walshe,
    Ahhh, good to hear your car is getting all the love and care the dealer can throw at it. (it is under warranty right?)

I had no problems with my clutch. I am not sure what the high performance clutch could give you in day to day driving and occasional scenic drive to Gosford and back via old Pac Hwy.

Im getting jealous that your car will now have tighter steering feel than mine. :p

ps. Your car is getting close to 80,000kms right?
    Timing belt check for degradation? Its an expensive (and important) item that would be nice if it could be changed under warranty.

cheers
    Voytek
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

1000+ Posts
    tekkie:
    Timing belt check for degradation? Its an expensive (and important) item that would be nice if it could be changed under warranty.

cheers
    Voytek
    tekkie,
    Would they do a timing belt under warranty? It's written in the service schedule that it must be done, but surely that's a 'wear and tear' factor and not a warranty factor.

Derek.

If it's done around the 80K klms mark, I'd ask the question how much to change the cambelt whilst they're on the job.
    The point is that they'll have a lot of the mechanicals already out doing clutch & lower control arms etc, so it's not going to be as big a job as if they are starting from scratch to gain access.
    If they have the motor on a hoist during the clutch job so much the better. Just watch that they don't just quote you from the "book" (recommended service charges) to do it. Pity they didn't have to take the motor right out of the car; it's only 5 minutes then. dance dance

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

ahh but what if the belt was "damaged" at the time of the purchase?

then its a warranty claim.....

wishful thinking if anything else on my part.... wink
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Just a word on GTi6 Timing Belts..... When in melbourne, I dropped in to my old dealership, Regan Motors in Balwyn to show off the new baby. Speaking with their head mechanic, he told me that some GTI6 T belts have 'let go early', so it's advisable to change them early say 70k. Ypu just don't want one to let go. It's worth the couple of hundred $ to know it's changed and also to know who changed it!!! tongue
    Peugeot 306 GTi6

GTI124, speak to mark at the service department. He was great and spoke to me about the additional problems.
    Peugeot 306 GTi6

FWIW, I recently posted a link in the Citroen forum to Andyspares forum where a guy made the comment that on some models of the Xsaras, that it is standard practice to replace the cambelt tensioner with the spring loaded variety as the standard solid fit types were being blamed for premature failures. He claimed this to be a factory mod so in light of your mechanics statement, it may be worthy of further investigation on some of these Pug motors which I would suspect could be identical.

Alan S

you're right alan. There is a problem with the belt tensioner causing too much load on the belt. I haven't heard of spring tensioners being fitted though.
    Peugeot 306 GTi6

Walshé:
    you're right alan. There is a problem with the belt tensioner causing too much load on the belt. I haven't heard of spring tensioners being fitted though.
    You'll find a link to that story in this thread.

Alan S

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000344" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000344</a>

<small>[ 13 February 2003, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Alan S ]</small>

Walshé:
    GTI124, speak to mark at the service department. He was great and spoke to me about the additional problems.
    Is he the Service Manager? Our complaint is pretty major there, they've put our safety in danger there, and I'm incredibly unimpressed. I doubt a great customer service person can do much about such a complaint...
    - Lincoln

Just slightly of topic, i had a performance cluch fitted on myS16 and it cost $1300 fitted with waranty ad so forth, that was drive in and out, driveability? its heavy but i can drive the car in peak our through the CBD no worries, its just needs a little extra revs to get going and not clutch stalling, having said that it feels awsome and rarely slips at all... great for scampering off the mark.
    As for the timming belt i agree with Allan, it did cost me $780 fitted, for that alone and took over night to do.
    Easier done with the engine out. as alan pointed out. When my S16 were recalled the first time the previous owner DEMMANDED it done and watched them change it, at 20K's and i had it done at 75K's, no problems either time, but have done-in one drive belt. thats the alternator a/c and power steer belt. which im gonna have a go at doing my self......mmm....mm maybe.
    Xq
    ... ptui!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i have been told that the serpentine belt needs to be replaced whenever they do a timing belt as they tend to crack
    i have looked at mine many times over the years i have had the car and for the life of me i can't see why it should crack in around 80k's
    i had mine replaced as they said it needed to be done at 40k's but i couldn't see why they did as it looked pretty damn fine to me before i took the car in at that time
    FWIW the serpentines are around $60-65
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts
    GTI124:
    Is he the Service Manager? Our complaint is pretty major there, they've put our safety in danger there, and I'm incredibly unimpressed. I doubt a great customer service person can do much about such a complaint...
    What happened Lincoln? Did the forget to do up the hub nuts after taking the front end out or something?

A fruitloop mechanic did that to me once in my old Subie. I turned out onto the Pacific Hwy in Artarmon and nearly died with the amount of vibration (and this was after fitting a new clutch!) I took it back and yelled at them, and then when I took the hubcap off myself in front of them and realised BOTH hub nuts at the front were only finger tight (but with the safety pins through the drive shaft!) I let loose, told them to fix it and I was never coming back.

Good luck with it anyway.

Derek.

they didn't reconnect my side air bags.
    - Lincoln

1000+ Posts
    eeeeeeek eek!

Not quite as life threatening as the front wheels coming off as I drove home, but still, I see your point.

Derek.

Speaking of ordinary dealers, I was less than impressed with my dealings with VonBibra Renault on the Gold Coast. The service department was a joke and a part that I ordered from France and took 3 weeks to get here was broken in two places! They even let me take it to the car and when I thought I would have a look, I found the problem. Makes me wonder what they might have done if I had had them install it. They probably would have put it in anyway and not told me. I now have to wait another couple of weeks for them to send another one from France. The service department took 2 days to diagnose a problem that took another business 1 hour and $33.And the service department had to stuff me around at the same time. I guess that this is what you get when you are a large dealership. Pity that Renault Aust doesn't stick with small dealerships anymore. There is just no passion there. Can't say I will go back, And if I buy a new Renault I won't be giving them my busness.
    A Gordini is still a GORDINI!!!

Thread Information