Petrol Prices
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Petrol Prices

UFO

Petrol Prices

So, have we all noticed the fuel prices on the up and up in the past few days?

Love a good bout of profiteering! (hello Alan Fels???)

tongue

Advertisement
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Echo that here in sydney UFO....
    seems that the 98ron stuf can go from 93 c/l to 105 c/l in a week here...... still i love the little s16 to buy anything else.
    Xq

ps, i wonder if the extra expence is to cover the up surge in ethanol of late?ahemm..lol
    ... ptui!

The RACQ today attacked the oil companies... they stated that prices in Brisbane as of today (top ULP price, 97.9) was almost the same as the highest ever... that being in November 2000.

Then they pointed out that the price of crude oil was about $8 (Australian) higher than it is today.

Administrator
    I feel sorry for guys who have cars on gas. Gas prices shouldn't be affected by changes in crude oil prices......should they?? They fork out 2 grand for the conversion and still get rolled like the rest of us...

Shell Optimax topped the dollar here in Bris this week $1.01 to be precise.

What bugs me is how unstable on a daily basis prices are, when I queried the local Shell servo re the sudden increase "mate ya should have filled yesterday, it was 89 cents" why so, it's the same stuff they had in their tanks yesterday, they haven't recieved new stock

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I think the stations get rebates from the headoffice to offer the various prices at times.

Look at the terminal gate pricing on the various websites. I guess it's like car pricing - sure it may look like you're getting a great deal at near invoice price, but hey, what kickback is the dealer getting back from the distributor/manufacturer?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

i paid $1.02 for standard ulp today...only put $10 worth.....when i worked as a console operator (uni days) i d say people were definitely filling less money on the dearer days....we should all fill only (lets say) 5 dollars at a time and maybe the fuel retailers would rethink pricing if volumes reduce...a lot of these guys are nothing but ripp off artists....a perfect example is when one owner runs multiple petrol stations on the same road...rush hour (into city)petrol station is expensive in the morning....and in the afternoon his other petrol station (out of the city) was dearer in the evening....but he realised how hard it was to make a turn (or u turn) so he exploited it to the max....bastard...he evntually bought my boss out as well....ps.in defence of retailers...it can be tough to make a buck somtimes,,...if fuel supplies are not well controlled...you can end up with empty tanks and have to buy at premium price...last thing you want then is large price drop.....

cheers
    dino

BP Ultimate was 106.9c/L today around where I live.

I notice that Perth prices always tend to be higher than other capital cities.

Troy.

<small>[ 08 February 2003, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: TroyO ]</small>

Bought PULP at 93.9 cents per litre yesterday (Friday).....lots of it. Normally pay 96.9 just down the road. When I filled up in the morning, the tanker was there filling up his tanks and when I returned in the afternoon for a "second helping" the price still hadn't changed.
    By comparison, Woolies was selling LRP for the same price. Nearby town was mid 90s for ULP.
    I don't know if it was just a coincidence but when I pulled in to buy the petrol, there was a commotion on the footpath and a woman had just passed out for some reason on the opposite corner.
    As this particular servo is normally the dearest in town by far, I could share her sentiments. mallet mallet
    As of last night we were still running at 89.9 ULP, 93.0 LRP & 96.9 PULP
    What was noticeable was the number of fuel tankersrunning around the streets; either we're going to have cheaper fuel for a while & they're stockng up or there's been a bit of panic buying running them all a bit short on stock, but why are we so much cheaper than even Brisbane when they have to freight it up here?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

You're not... there are still servos in Brisbane listing prices in the eighties...

There are always servos in Brisbane well above the mean price.

Woolworths would be the same price as local servos, generally, by the way... but with their discount dockets you get the 4c or 6c off that regular price. Shame they don't have many places where they dish up PULP.

well as they say tuesdays is the best day to get petrol
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

I think the prices are only going to get worse guys if there is a war in Iraq.
    You will see all these operators jacking up the prices and blaming it on the Iraqi Crisis....

We'll see if Im right?

Fellow Frogger!
    BP Ultimate 117.9 in Tamworth yesterday (Saturday)

Cheers,
    Cheers,
    Brodie

'78 604 SL (LPG) ...........for sale ..sold
    '81 604 SL (spares) .......for sale ..sold
    '85 505 GTi ..................for sale ..sold
    '94 405 SRDT............... for sale ..sold
    '07 307 HDi hatch
    '07 307 HDi Wagon

1000+ Posts
    117.9.........hell!!!

Time to break out the rope and look for a suitable tree to
    hang the profiteering sods!!

Gee and I thought Coonabarbaran had highway robbery prices
    years ago when petrol (just that) was 62 cents a litre and in
    Qld it was 24 cents a litre on the same day. That was before
    petrol parity pricing of course and my then Toyota Crown's
    cheapest fill of a full tank came in at $6.40...........dream.....

Ken.

I got to say I think that the higher fuel prices go, the better. Its time people started to pay the REAL cost of burning this non renewable resource, and stop people buying (and hence stop being built) these huge engined fuel guzzlers such as we and the yanks make. Make people reevaluate the need for that trip down the shops, or to work in the car when the train is right there etc,
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts
    OK haakon

Yeah the gas guzzlers will be out, and then what will
    "they" tax. They already say they own the rain that falls
    on your property, next it will be tax the air that we
    consume............ and of course if we subscribe to your
    sentiments we may as well give up our cars and walk
    (barefoot of course)

Ken

Haakon:
    I got to say I think that the higher fuel prices go, the better. Its time people started to pay the REAL cost of burning this non renewable resource, and stop people buying (and hence stop being built) these huge engined fuel guzzlers such as we and the yanks make. Make people reevaluate the need for that trip down the shops, or to work in the car when the train is right there etc,
    ..................or the need to buy essentials when you live in a remote area with no public transport which they get in town, or the need to use fuel to power machinery to grow the food we eat, or to have to decide whether they spend a good proportion of their pension on petrol which then gives them less to spend on food, or whether their kids really need an education or opt for home education when there is no school bus & school is 20 klms away...... mallet mallet

Big difference between hugging trees in the Botanic Gardens & the reality of life in the bush.
    Sorry about that. cheers!

Alan S whip

Yes Alan, I agree, but Haakon's point remains valid too. It would be interesting to know what percentage of fuel in Australia is consumed in urban centres where much of what you say doesn't (or rather , shouldn't - the public transport systems in Australia are pretty ordinary still) apply.

Mind you, I read recently some staggering figures on fuel consumption by our airlines - can't remember them off the top of my head, but all that zipping from Sydney to Brisbane to Melbourne to Canberra to Perth etc, when in many cases a phone call or an email would really do the job, uses vast amounts of fuel. The greenhouse implications of flying a 767 load of people from Melbourne to Sydney, for example , are many times greater than every one of them getting in their own vehicle and heading up the Hume!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Well I can only speak from my viewpoint and that is that normally I already pay around 10 cents a litre more for my fuel, the bus service is one that stops about 5 klms from my place at 9 am on Tuesdays & Thursdays (no return trip is available-all one way stuff) buses are running from another point on some kind of regular basis about a further 2 klms away and actually the bus stop is the shopping centre where I would be going to in the first place.
    The nearest Railway station is 60 klms away & if I want to go to Sydney, I need to be at the station by about 4.30 am and look at catching a flight in peak time due to my ETA, hence top fair.
    By this stage it has cost me alone $112 before I set foot on the plane or $126 if I can arrange a PVH to collect me & get me to the bus stop.
    I then get a plane fare added at another $200+ and when I step off the plane in Sydney & get eventually to the cab rank, I have someone bearing a strong resemblence to Bin Laden taking me for a guided tour ($45 to Concorde last time I went there) and seemingly having great problems understanding my English, reading the address, seeing street name signs or following a road map; all done at high speed whilst negotiating heavy traffic & terrifying pedestrians.
    At this stage, I'm up around $400 without eating or heaven forbid, accomodation in a god forsaken hole I really didn't want to go near in the first place. Take our entire family & the exercise is $2000 upwards. So there ain't no way I would be there unless it was necessity. Big cities just aren't my scene. mallet mallet
    Unfortunately, Public servants regardless of which department they may be involved with, seem to find price increases a panacea for all problems as they sit in their air conditioned offices full of artificial light and drive home alone that night in their 6 cylinder cars to the outer suburbs with the automatically operated electric doors, outside security lighting and oil heating, feeling so happy with their contribution towards energy saving by jacking the prices particularly in rural areas of what are the basic necessities of life; after all, if you have a car & expenses supplied with the job, it's pretty hard to judge the impact it has on others isn't it?
    The word "empathy" comes to mind. cheers!

Alan S

what would be cool though if they (THE GOVERNMENT)
    relaxed the vehicle regs a little bit...i d imagine many of our engineers and even everyday average citizens could attempt building their own ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY vehicles....all this crash safety rules and crap...yes i can understand it all....but at the end of the day you will still face a guy on his bike blocking a whole lane while a semi is guzzling millions of litres of diesel because he can not change lanes....why is it that bikes are safer than some 3/4 wheeled custom made vehicles....hell if i knew i could put a vehicle (that i built) on the road without having to do crash tests and the like...i d start building one tommorow....society seems to be screwed in many ways when it comes to the environment....ie we WANT the BLOODY cake and we want to EAT it 2....

cheers
    dino

For interest, I just found the average pump price for "higher octant unleaded" in the UK is current 77.7P/Litre.

Works out to be about $2.15/Litre

...and we're complaining (!)

The discussion regarding city versus country prices is always interesting, I also have queried the logic of charging extreme rates for country residents when cars are really the only travel option.

I remember our state government in SA many years ago decided to *increase* tax on petrol outside of areas marked by concentric rings every 100km or so around Adelaide. So the further out you lived, the more you paid for petrol - not only in the inital cost, but the government slugged you on top of that.

Nice one...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Alan, I dont get to the Botanical gardens much as I live and work in the bush...

All this does is bring to light how crap Australias public transport system is. They spend all the money on roads, then say we have to have more because public transport is so inadequate. Imagine the upgrades that Melbournes train and tram system could have had with the money they spent on the Shitty Link!!
    The point regarding UK fuel prices should also be coupled with one about how good the public transport is, especially in London, and how they all drive much more efficient cars (like french ones for example!) and how they have a relativly small CO2 contribution per capita compared to Australia and the USA.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thread Information