Terrible dealer service
  • Register
  • Help

Terrible dealer service

Picked up a new (38 km)BA Wagon from head office the other day, and then proceeded to drive it to Horsham. Immediatly noticed wheels horribly out of balance which got worse as the day progressed, and a diffulcuty starting, with it stalling etc. It refused to start in Horsham with 448 km on it. When I finally got it going and limped to the local Ford dealer, they found;

1. folded up A4 peice of paper (a factory checklist of some sort) neatly tucked against the exhaust manifold (I'm sure our insurance company would have loved a burnt out shell with 450 km on it!)
    2. several loose chassis bolts, including a strut to lower arm bolt that was finger tight only and wobbling about
    3. 28 fault codes in the computer, including ABS sensors, fuel management, idle control etc

And that doesnt include the faulty mirror switch, headlining, pillar trim and the really annoying rattle behind the dash when its idling. Needless to say our fleet manager is fairly pissed of with Jefferson Ford.......

Advertisement
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

geezz....when you see them on the road they APPEAR to be well built....
    its strange that the overall quality of the car is affected by both the factory construction and PREDELIVERY process....some of the faults listed appear to be factory based since the car is new...so the factory TEST didn t PICK up the faults and the guy/gal doing predelivery MISSED it AS WELL...thats pretty TERRIBLE....possibly criminally negligent....i d say somebody should be LOOSING their job over this....(more than likely the person at the factory since he holds a much greater responsibility since the cars are supplied to the dealers "as new")i d say somebody should be seeing a LAWYER....

cheers

dino

maybe extreme....but one thing we should be able to trust are steering,braking, suspension and final drive components....all of which are necessarry to bring a car to a safe controlled stop....

The mechanic in horsham said he knew for certain that the Predelivery check hadnt been done at all, because the ECU still had factory settings. These are supposed to be reset and your not supposed to drive it on the factory setting - or something...
    Out fleet manager said its not the first time its happened either - he gets 50 Falcons a year from jefferson, and at least 10 have had problems as bad if not worse - some factory and some dealer attributed. And a lot more have had recalls (eg for LPG tank mounting bolts not tightened at the factory!) and ongoing dramas with suspension, tyres, electric windows, LPG systems.....

by the way...i m not sure how careful we need to be in regards to names and supliers but we could be getting into defamation territory ....yes i ve been in trouble with manufacturers before (re; recalls and general faults)so ....probably best not to mention names.....a current affair loves things like this but so do manufacturers lawyers....

dino

It would indeed be a brave manufacturer who lifted the lid on his own Pandoras box by threatening litigation over something like this. Can you imagine what would come out of the woodwork to bite him. eek! evil
    As someone who worked in the Motor business I can tell you this isn't all that uncommon.
    I worked for a Ford dealer in the early stages for a short period & saw things like tappet covers not bolted down and the dogs were barking the story of the dealer going up the Toll Bar in a brand new car giving it a bit of stick because it was running rough when suddenly there was a bang & a hole appeared in the bonnet; where a spark plug flew through.

I used to own a Holden that I bought brand new when I owned the Driving School that was declared unroadworthy by the RACQ after the selling dealers service manager told me it was "within GMHs acceptable standards," seen new Toyotas have to be repainted over a major part of the body due to cheap jack repairs done to transit damage, seen a Land Cruiser catch fire on the Gold Coast highway that had just been registered because the rocker cover was loose & oil ran onto the hot exhaust, still have a photo somewhere of a Triumph 2000 that erupted in flames & burnt out in the middle of Melbourne when the new owner pushed in the cigarette lighter as he drove from the showroom and it was incorrectly wired, had new cars with such front wheel wobble that they were undriveable even at the speed limit.....I could keep going.
    The point with this one is it's a sitting duck to be delivered in this condition for a couple of reasons.
    Firstly we are talking a Government owned vehicle. Governments get sales tax exemption plus, fleet owners discount (Used to be 5%). The cars are normally bought via tender that includes a trade in. By reason of the fact of the tax exemption & fleet ownwers disc, the trade in value is often in excess of the value of the new car. So we're looking at a new car plus cash & the dealer gets a second hand car in return.
    This is the way local government operates usually and in some cases rural branches of Stae & Federal depts can be in the same position to show how they are "supporting" local businesses. The PD figure is often included in the profit margin which means by the time the Purchasing Officer has screwed down the dealer on the new car & floated up the trade in price (usually by doing a wink wink, nudge nudge, between the local dealers) they're doing deals for practice. Couple this with the expectation that every man & his dog will drive it so nobody will notice it hasn't been PD'd or alternatively a dealer being asked to accept delivery of & prepare for the department a new car for a paltry PD figure, it ain't gunna be on the top of his priority list.
    It's usually a case of "Fred, can you organize Dr Livermores car for a full detail & PD and when you've finished, just blow the hose over those half a dozen cars for that Government tender.....they'll be here to pick 'em up at 4.30." mallet mallet

More a case of getting what you pay for than deliberate negligence.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan, I think you hit the nail very neatly on the head there... Doesnt excuse them from doing a basic safety check though. I really dont like thinking about that suspension bolt! I do a lot of driving, 99% of it at highway speeds in the country with a lot of trees to hit.

1000+ Posts
    Al, there's no sales tax anymore wink

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Stuey:
    Al, there's no sales tax anymore wink

Stuey
    Whatever taxes there are, these departments get exempted from it one way or 'tother plus other concessions.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

One of my very affluent customers at work is selling his Masserati (with 2300k's on the clock) owned for 8 months, he picked up a nice SL5 at a merc dealer i sent him to. (mates rates you know.lol)
    when i asked why he is selling the masso he said that the second week he had it the side air-bags fell out of their holders and the roof got stuck half open, lovely i thought.
    Sertain Vehicle Men (hint hint) said they will fix it quickly and lent him a secondhand E55 for a while, which broke down on my works driveway, lovely again.....
    Xq

ps, he ows me a lobster (aka $20) for washing the SL5
    ... ptui!

speaking of side airbags, I had my seat frames replaced under warranty and I had a gut feeling that A&J stuffed up the install. On the mid week cruise we found that Tekkie's GTi6 has a side airbag light that appears on his dash, whilst I do not. They didn't install it properly!

I was livid! Actually I am livid! How dare they jeopordise my safety like that?? mallet Tonia will be taking it into A&J with a big friend of ours to have some words to the Service Manager (big friend is jst so she has a man with her, the fact that he is big is a bonus wink . Not only will they fix it for free, after charging us for a balance they never did, I'm hoping we can get a free intermediate exhaust out of them.

I know I've said it before, but I am very unimpressed with A&J.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Ahh, GTI124, talking of intermediate exhausts, my intermediate muffler broke at the entry pipe from the cat converter while I was driving to melbourne. I called AJ sales as service was closed and they instructed me to get it welded which I should pay for and they would reimburse me (I think I'll have fun getting that $70 back).....maybe need to borrow BIG bloke! Any way, around half way back to Sydney....around Tarcutta, I noticed a droning noise starting from the same spot. The weld had cracked and by the time I got to sydney, I had a straight through system. (straight through cat and out) I tell you what GTi6's really boogey without any exhaust restriction.
    BLOODY LOUD THOUGH!!! head_ban
    Peugeot 306 GTi6
    Peugeot 205 GTiS2, you want it? call me 0414 996 499,

Administrator
    Haakon:
    When I finally got it going and limped to the local Ford dealer, they found;

1. folded up A4 peice of paper (a factory checklist of some sort) neatly tucked against the exhaust manifold
    This is not limited to Oz cars.
    On my 86 fuego, I found a complete (in french) assy line option list (ie: colour, trim, engine and gearbox type etc) stuck between the dashboard and the front of the windscreen bulkhead. It had been there since it came out of the factory and was only found because I finally got sick of the buzz that had been there since I brought the car and started hunting under the dash. It must have really peeved the previous owners who had the car from new.

Walshé:
    Any way, around half way back to Sydney....around Tarcutta, I noticed a droning noise starting from the same spot. The weld had cracked...
    What is it about Tarcutta? Spent a day there organising a semi to take my DS back to Melbourne some years back. More problem there mentioned in the Peugeot list there the other day too. Has anyone here NOT broken down near Tarcutta?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Yes I'm sure the Service Manager at A&J is a busy lad.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

I found an arm off a pair of safety glasses in the drivers side door cavity when fitting speakers to my Mums Fuego. The car was only 4 or 5 years old at the time...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Thread Information