A new cameraderie?
  • Register
  • Help

A new cameraderie?

Yesterday I had a wave in traffic as I drove into Brisbane in my 504 Familiale...

Usually, such a wave is from oncoming cars, but this one was one that I moved past in the traffic flow after following it for a while.

Usually, such a wave comes from a fellow Peugeot driver, but this one was from the driver of a Citroen Safari... well, I think it was a Safari, anyway.

I wondered if it was an Aussiefrog... but of course there was not chance to find out. But I also recognised that this was something new, and that it might well be this forum that will spur on more such cameraderie.

The drive days do this, for sure...

Advertisement

Interesting to me, also, because the first ever experience I had of this remote friendship was when I had a Light 15.

Down here in Tassie, while out cruising in the R16, I've exchanged waves with Citroen (DS) drivers on several occasions. And this was long before the days of Aussiefrogs.

I must say, though, there are some Citroen owners out there that are somewhat elitist in their attitudes towards Renault - accusing them of being bland and soulless and words to that effect.

I would counter by saying that many if not most Citroens after the DS or perhaps CX have become increasingly conservative, while Renault, who made some fairly conservative cars through the 1980's has in more recent years been the most innovative and courageous of the big three French brands.

A Peugeot 504 is now my daily driver, as the Renault 16 is in need of restoration (sold yesterday to a young guy who plans to do exactly that). In my years of Renault driving, myself and my passengers have never ceased to be amazed at the camaraderie and fanatical waving that goes on between Renault drivers. So far I have not experienced any waving with the Pug (although maybee this will change now that it's got an Aussiefrogs sticker!). I think Pug owners are generally a bit more subdued and conservative than their Renault driving counterparts.

<small>[ 06 February 2003, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: frogs4ever ]</small>
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

You're right, especially about newer Pug owners...

Mostly you'll get a wave from a 504 owner, but a 505 is rare, the little cars never.

I once got a wave from another 307 owner, which was a shock - I returned the wave though.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

frogs4ever:
    Down here in Tassie, while out cruising in the R16, I've exchanged waves with Citroen (DS) drivers on several occasions. And this was long before the days of Aussiefrogs.

A Peugeot 504 is now my daily driver... So far I have not experienced any waving with the Pug (although maybee this will change now that it's got an Aussiefrogs sticker!). I think Pug owners are generally a bit more subdued and conservative than their Renault driving counterparts.
    In Melbourne most 504 and 505 drivers share a wave. I have this terrible feeling that quite a few of the 206 and 306 people don;'t actually recognise the earlier Peugeots.

Personally, I I'll wave at just about any Peugeot or Citroen made before the early 90's. I also wave at Renault 8's, and occasionally at 12's (used to own one) . It's probably a bit confusing for the other driver if I happen to be in my wife's Seat at the time, or a Holden hire car) . I just tend to forget .
    dance

SEAT drivers are quite good at waving at each other too by the way.

There was nice thread here on waving etiquette a few weeks ago.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

With almost as many little Pugs to be sold here this year as there was 404s in the whole time they were on the market, it's understandable that many won't recognise the older models...

UFO
    Well this is one CitroŽn driver who waves at nearly all froggies. However the newer drivers of new cars (the new fanatics?) are oblivious to their make's heritage whatever the brand.

I have been waving at C3 and C5 drivers and getting weird looks! (heathens!!)
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I had a strange one the other week.
    Drove to Brisbane & saw an unbelievable amount of froggys.
    Gave them all the usual wave; Ds, CXs, BXs, Xsaras, Xantias, even an AX....no response. Saw a "thing" coming through the morning sun shining into the blearies and when it was close, recognised as a dark blue C5 and guess what?
    He was the only one that waved; I got such a fright because he was quicker on the draw wih the wave than I was that I didn't respond 'till he was past.
    Next time I'll try not wearing that pink floral number; that'll fool 'em mallet roll_lau whip

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information