Service & parts facilities
  • Help

Service & parts facilities

Hey Guys.. and Gals.

Advertisement

Given Chippers recent dramas in Sydney what do you think about organising a list of our recomendations for parts and service around the country. A list of businesses that say if you are travelling you could maybe print out before you set off, it could extend to e-mail addresses of members also, I always have 5ltrs of LHM at home and and 1ltr in the car and would be happy to help out if one of us was in trouble. The list would be in the downloads area of the site and updated maybe once monthly, just a thought.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Great idea,

There is only one thing that we should be wary of, and that is there are some repairers at times even associated with the various state clubs, who are used by people whose idea of a good mechanic and a rip off artist are very different to the accepted norm. In many cases it is that they are "opportunists" as I found out earlier this year when one of my sons picked up a car for his brother in Sydney. A "highly recommended" repairer then quoted him $90 a sphere to regas the 7 spheres on the car, whilst another offered to give him a RWC if he left the car there for a few days whilst he did a stack of unspecified repairs as "without even looking at the car it won't get a roadworthy and once I get underneath, I'm going to be able to write a book on it" whereupon we borrowed a set of trade plates and drove the car 1500 klms home after "father goose" recharged the spheres, fed him, put him up for the night and sent him on his way the next morning for about the price the other bod wanted for one sphere. When I was going to Sydney to buy the c-matic I also had the offer to get put in the same predicament by another "highly recommended repairer" who offered to let me use his premises to inspect the vehicles, quoted $66 per sphere to regas (not including testing) but added that the car that I was most interested in and which he had recommended "would probably not pass a RWC, which I can do, but I could do all that was required to make it so it would pass, and as for the others, well, we'd just have to see how we went with them." It broke his tiny golden heart when I told him I was buying it with rego to drive home. He seemed to lose his friendly attitude at that point.
    As an alternative suggestion, as we all know each other at this point in time through various discussions on the board, could there be a list of contacts for members available on request only via gibgib and possibly broken into various areas or routes; say, from Melbourne to the Gold Coast where mebers contacts at various areas could be available.
    The reason I suggest this is that if say GreenBlood were to break down at Childers on a Saturday night at 8pm on his way to Rockhampton, I think he would get more help from me than from a local servo who closes at 5pm and spells Citroen with an "S" I could also direct him to where a mechanic who could help was if I couldn't get him out of strife.
    I suggest getting the list from gibgib as I think with all due respects, we have to be wary of the ability of "nutters" to access this list otherwise and create mischief with it.
    There are a couple on some of the lists/boards that I have an involvement with whose company I definitely don't crave :p
    Just my 2 bobs worth; know it's got it's problems but I'm easy to go along with the mob.
    This idea may put an unnecessary load on gibgib which he is not prepared to accept and that's cool. But I suppose that the service guys also make the person who recommends them vulnerable if they rip someone off. Also I think we all need sccess to help when we are travelling in the bush. Remember my drama at Gunnedah?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

You certainly get good value for your florin!

Greetings, I note that in the opening pages there are links tho french car sellers,repairers etc under links there is a menber recommended snippets the link leads to many usefull areas I suggest that if an area could be set aside for spare parts suppliers and (seperatly workshops )a rating could be arrived at if the system used by on line auctions was used feedback from users including their email ie;for a rating of 4stars, 20 good 5 neutral 2bad ( too many negative comments = beware)

As for member to member assistance a local area co-ordinater with access to member list could be the way to go cheers Ranger
    "The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

Good one Ranger.

My thoughts are that enthusiasts will look after enthusiasts better than profe$$ional$ will look after them
    Sorry about the ramble early on but if there's one thing you might have noticed, I abhor types who simply try to profiteer from others misfortune and unfortunately, particularly with Citroen owners, they are all too often victims of opportunists

Alan S

Members of the Citroen Car Club of Qld have created such a guide for Queensland, and are trying to involve other states sending in info, to indicate sources of local help for Citroens. Copies were made available for out-of-staters at the Easter national meet. It is called the glovebox guide AFAIK, and should still be available from the club, though I think an updated version may be in the pipeline.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

G'gay all,
    I guess I'm pretty naive, your quite right of course Alan, ain't it a bloody shame with all the shit going on in the world that we have to look over our shoulders and be wary of rouges wanting to take advantage of our petty obsessions.

It should have been simple, with close to 500 members, tapping into our various networks and resourses for parts and reliable service, we would have the whole country covered for all three French marques. What a comfort to be able to set off on a journey knowing you were never to far from some sort of assistance if things didn't go as planned.

If there is some way of setting this up via this site it would be a great resource and well worth the effort.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Now I don't know if this is feasible or even logical but here goes anyway.
    If a map of Australia were to be made available somewhere and our areas shown in say red dots; hypothetically, I know I am going to be travelling from Sydney via the freeway to Musselbrook across to Gunnedah, Moree, Goondiwindi, Moonie, Dalby, Kingaroy, Maryborough, Childers, Bundaberg, GinGin Rockhampton and returning either that way or down the Pacific Highway to Grafton then going inland, and a series of red dots were shown on that map where help is available, a travel plan logged with whoever is co-ordinator and a list of places and people within reasonable distance of that route to be used in case of emergency supplied via direct e-mail to the person making the trip.
    I don't think too many of us will need to use the service and once we had the contacts, could use tham for future plans.
    In my case, I always travel the same way to Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sydney so once I had them I would be right unless of course there were any long unserviced stretches which could be filled if someone from those areas came on board.
    What does everyone think??

Alan S

Once my piston fell apart near Buledelah and I got towed into Taree it didn't matter any more... I had to get the bits from Melbourne, pay plenty for overnight delivery... I wasn't able to get online either.

Made a new set of liner retainers out of some waterpipe and bolts from a Commodore, nuts off a tractor... carried all my tools with me, fortunately.

I'm happy to do a map or something for this cause. The idea by GB is a good one.

A list may be better for printing purposes so it can be kept in the glovebox.

Do you think people will participate though?
    This is the Internet, & to add fellow enthusiasts will mean putting some (lots of) details about them to be able to contact them.

I am able to email to all registered users in one go so we could transmit our list that way, or, we could have a password protected directory to restrict abuse.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Gibgib,

well if such a list does get created, I'd be happy to be put on it. Though the thought of one of those complicated cars with springs & shockers is pretty scary Maybe I'll just convert any that come my way to less complicated more easily understood suspension

Wonder if I'd ever be of any help anyway

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: These smileys are still fun :p

[ 18 October 2001: Message edited by: DoubleChevron ]
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Just wondering what happened with this idea?

I hope I didn't scare you off

Hi guys, can I put my two bobs worth in?
    I'm stuck on both side of the fence here, as an Enthusiast I say yes its a good idea, as a repairer/parts dealer I'm worried.
    As an enthusiast I particaptate in as many club events as possible and totally enjoy my cars and don't mind helping other enthusiasts in trouble.
    As a repairer I've seen two many problems, people have thatI'm in the club you must help me, I don't care if its 3am in the morning I'm a club member. Or, What, it costs that much! I can do it myself in 2 hours why are you charging me $100,
    Here's an example, I recently had a club member come in and asked me to replace his cam belt which he supplied, I did, he paid and off he went.
    He turned up a few weeks later claiming I was slack because his mate said you should replace all of them while your at it and because I didn't I should replace them free of charge or he'll tell the club, I told him there was nothing wrong with his other belts in the first place and secondly he supplied his own parts and everything he gave me including filters and plugs I used just like I was told to do.
    So, I hear what your saying about this list but I fear people abusing it,
    I tell you what though, we only charge $35 to regas spheres, and new ones start at $100, maybe we should put our prices up.

David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

"So, I hear what your saying about this list but I fear people abusing it,
    I tell you what though, we only charge $35 to regas spheres, and new ones start at $100, maybe we should put our prices up."

I spoke to one of your customers a while back David who described dealing with you as "a breath of fresh air" and, no, it wasn't Shane. So your reputation is going to carry you through unless of course you start doing what you suggested in your post as quoted above but I think you are a bit too fair dinkum for that.
    As I said earlier, it should be a list "available on request" should the need arise but as a competant tradesman you would be well aware that the dodgy ones are often the ones who encourage friends to promote them as honest and competant or as I have often said of a couple I'm aware of, if they could service Citroens even half as good as they claim they would be geniuses; they are better salesmen than they are tradesmen and therein lies the problem.
    If I were in Melbourne & requiring urgent repairs, you would be my first and only call. However, I think other interstate travellers in areas other than Victoria could be in dire straits unless they were very lucky as some of the opportunist types are often recommended on boards by those who obviously have never been placed in the vulnerable position.

Alan S

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Alan,

guess what, Davids never touched (or probably seen) any of my cars. I never told anyone he does good work as I simply can't say that without him working on my cars.

However I've refered MANY poeple to him as I've never been stuffed around by him, and I've never heard poeple complain about him (though he's in bussiness so there's sure to be some out there )

I've also reffered people to Mel Carey as well, but he tends to be a bit expensive for my likings. Having said that my old mans seen his work on tractions and it's exceptional. You don't mind paying big money for service it it's exceptional service...

I guess the fact we keep going back says more for service than anything, my old mans been dealing with him since he opened his doors, he had 1citroen that he was wrecking & a few renaults... That was it! I remember going there, I must have been about 15years old.

Now if only my bloody brother would stop using my name to order down parts I'll be happy... Bloody shithead Doesn't he know his s'possed to use my old mans name like I do

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hey G'day David,

This is how I see it, we all have our trusted suppliers of parts and service and whilst in the comfort zones that we move in can organise to get ourselves out of trouble. It's once we move out of that comfort zone that a list would have value.

I'm not suggesting that those suppliers should do any more than they already do in terms of service or cost. Lets say I'm travelling through Coffs Harbour and have a prob with the Cit, what options do I have at the momement but to rely on the local servo to steer me in the right direction. It wouldn't surprise me if we have a member who drives a cit in the area and could recommend someone more appropriate, thats all. No club discounts, no expectations that we have the right to call someone at three in the morning etc.

If members were willing to be a part of that list great, but I was thinking more of a list of trusted businesses. I know there is always a danger that a recommendation can backfire, but "let the buyer beware". to me it's a better gamble than trusting someone out of the blue. For my part I would not put forward a name if I was not satisfied with the service and value.

Still think the idea has legs, but not sure how we can make it work.

I can see your point and it's a shame when you go out of your way to help someone that it's thrown back in you face, I don't know of any businesses that would be happy to fit parts supplied by their customer unless they knew them well.

Gord didn't mean to ramble on, I got my five bobs worth.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Orr shucks guys I feel all embaresed now after all the nice things everyone said,
    only kidding about putting prices up, I'd love to say get your spheres done by xmas before the price rise, but hey, I'd rather sleep at night, No business has 100% customer satifaction and I try to get as close as possible, but some people try to overstreach the mark and unfortunatly they seem to have the loudest voices. Just as everyone feels the need to tell all if they get raw deal I think the same should aply if you get a good one, I remember years ago, a repairer went out of his way to help a customer and the customer asked how can he thank him, the repairer simply replied, tell your friends.
    Anyway, thats what I recon,
    I would be pleased to be part of any list but anyone getting me up at 3am watch out, even if it is a joke Shane.
    Seeyas,
    David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Thread Information