EMERGENCY...Need your help guys..(Sydney)
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

EMERGENCY...Need your help guys..(Sydney)

G'day all,

Well, I was out on a drive with some of the Sydney lads, sailing along without a problem in the world, and all of a sudden, the Pug starts loosing oil pressure

I managed to pull it over as soon as I noticed the red light flicker on, so dont think I sustained any engine damage, but the entire contents of the sump was no longer.

I cant for the life of me find where it has come from, maybe from around the oil pressure sender unit, an oil line ????

To make a long story short, has anyone had this problem or can anyone suggest a place to start looking?

Advertisement

A few k's before I pulled the car over, I did "hit" (not literally) a rather large bump when going over a bridge, and it whacked a pretty big shock through the car, so that may have been the cause.

I am staying in Belrose in the cities north, and need to find a Pug dealer (EssCarGo???) to get it fixed.

Any and all help appreciated as I am in a bit of a situation now.

Cheers

Chipper

So the car was run from Sydney to Brisbane? Was the oil checked on arriving in Sydney? How many k's has the car done, when was the oil last changed? Just wondering if it is a city car which has then gone on a long run, boiled off all the thin stuff in the sump leaving little oil. Or has the car sucked the lot through valve guides, breather etc?

Does it have an oil cooler, connections etc, especially if the car hit that bump REALLY hard.

Lots of questions, hope they help find the answer.

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Chipper,

I know a guy on the North side of Sydney who is a Citroen enthusiast and also a mechanic.
    He may be able to help with finding the problem or advising who to contact.
    I take it you are presently in Sydney so as not to cause any embarressment in case he can't do it, I'll try to post his phone number etc on your e-mail.
    That any help??

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I would agree with an unnoticed gradual drop in sump capacity... happened to me once on a trip to Melbourne in a 504. Just before Albury I had the oil light come on for the first time, but by Albury it was almost impossible to accelerate without surge bringing on the light. Topped up and drove on...

Fellow Frogger!
    Guys,

The car was driven from Brisbane to Sydney last weekend and did it without missing a beat.

Simon,

Weekend only car, last oilchange the weekend before, oil down two thirds of a poofteenth on arrival in sydney , major service carried out prior to departure , so the service side was well and truly covered, well, so I thought

That road to Sydney is a shocker, and I did hit a handfull of bumps on the way down that shook the car a bit (swerved away from hundereds) so that may have started the whole deal as it normally only gets driven on smooth roads, and the hit on the bridge was the icing on the cake as it were.

Alan S,

Thanks mate, the guy I am staying with will be able to organise a car trailer and a tow back to his place. If we find its a simple proceedure of replacing a hose, we should be right, if its the sender unit, he may be of use, but I can take the car to Nth Shore Rally as we are not to far away from them. Thanks for your offer, much appreciated.

Ok,

Where exactly does the oil cooler sit?? I understand that a couple of hoses go from the filter to the oil cooler,but I need to know exactly where to look as it may even be the cooler thats broken???

The oil has come out on the front of the engine underneath the inlet manifold as far as we could tell at 2AM in the morning , and may be the oil pressure sender unit as oil is up high on the block on the left side as you look at it from the front, but the oil is not sprayed everywhere high, the underneath of the car is coated in it and it was running down the front of the sump, so that leads me to think I have cracked it or something???.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Chipper

[ 11 October 2001: Message edited by: Chipper ]

Chipper,

I couldn't acess your e-mail from this board so I've sent you a "Private Message"
    Hope you know how to get to it. It should sort all of your problems out.

Alan SI've sent you a "Private Message"null
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!
    Alan,

You have stumped me mate but thats not hard.....

I dont really have any e-mailas I am bashing this out on my friends 'puter, hence my posting here.

If its the same symptoms as I have described above, let me know.

Chip

Chipper,

The oil cooler is the bit you attach the oil filter to. There are two pipes connected to this. Check it out, hopefully thats the extent of the problem. Although i bet its still been a bit of a saga. Sounds like you know where E and A motors are, so here are the others, PQ - 9958 0625. P504 - 9452 4559. Good Luck.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Chipper,

I thought the answer to this one was pretty simple, go to supermarket, buy 4litres of cheap crappy oil. Fill the sump, start car, wait for stream of oil to appear. Find where it's comming from. Make sure you turn 'er back off before the sump empties!!

Now you need to fix the problem.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Check the oil lines that run from the screw on plate on the block to the oil cooler that is attached to the front of the gearbox. I have seen on two occasions these hoses blow. You may also want to check the oil filter. If it has been over tightened, they have a tendancy to roll the seal. If you need new hoses any hose manufacturer (Pirtek etc) can make hoses using the existing ends of the original hoses. Just be careful that you do not loose the little o-ring type seal at the end of the pipes when you undo them.

just posting this on behalf of chipper:

all was well, it was the oil lines and the car and I are fine......

cheers

Chipper

Thread Information