If the Law is an ass...what do you call this guy?
  • Register
  • Help

If the Law is an ass...what do you call this guy?

Just had a call from my sister-in-law.
    Seems my nephew came home to Gunnedah last week for a flying visit & got invited out with some of his mates.
    As the night wore on, the nephew, a non drinker, noticed the boys were whooping it up a bit so when it came time to go home, he collared the car keys of one of his mates cars and forbid him to drive ("do the right thing" I think is the road safety slogan) and took the wheel himself.
    As they drove from the pub car park, a Police car suddenly appeared complete with flashing lights & pulled him up for a breath test; they were obviously sitting on the Pub's car park. The young fellow came up 0.00 as he would, but then the copper noticed a "P" licence & no "P" plates on the car. He asked why, & was told that he was driving so that his mate wouldn't, due to him having grog in him and as he'd come home on the train, he hadn't brought his "P" plates with him.
    The copper agreed it was the right thing to do but then followed this up by saying "but it's still going to cost ya $74 and 2 demerit points anyway!!" moon
    Great message to send to a 19 year old don't you think? Better he had caught a Taxi home & let his mates take the risk on killing themselves or someone else apparently is the mentality of the coppers in "Gunnadie;" at least that is the talk down there now.
    It gets back to what we are always saying about revenue based road safety. They really couldn't give a stuff about the road toll as this case proves.
    A letter will be sitting on the desk of the Police Minister first thing in the morning when he arrives at work, with c.cs on the desks of the major radio shock jocks.
    Wonder if the "crusaders for justice" will reckon it warrants a mention? mallet mallet
    and I wonder if they'll ever make common sense a pre-requisite for the NSW Police force? something obviously presently sadly lacking. tongue tongue blush

Alan S

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    I'd take it to court.

Tell him to mail everyone who's worth anything. Hell even ring a shitty show like Current Affair or Today Tonight, they love this sh!+. I wouldn't take that sort of crap sitting down mallet mallet mallet

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Administrator
    DoubleChevron:
    I'd take it to court.

Tell him to mail everyone who's worth anything. Hell even ring a shitty show like Current Affair or Today Tonight, they love this sh!+. I wouldn't take that sort of crap sitting down mallet mallet mallet

seeya
    Shane L.
    I agree, Police have discretionary powers for a reason.........
    The only reason that I can think of for the cop booking him would be if his (or his pissed mates)attitude to the police was that of "suffer ya cop, you thought you were gonna do me", some cops don't really like that, and try to find something to book you for. It aint professional but it happens.....
    That's the problem with hearing just his side of the story, rose coloured glasses...
    But yes, it still sucks...

Thanks, 'reno... backing up my view before I state it.

I recently ran out of fuel and was coasting to get off the main road so I could safely syphon a jerry can into my tank... coasting through the lights, it went red after I had passed the line, but the red light camera sensors were up to eight feet or so past that line.

Now that wouldn't be a problem for someone doing 60 or 70 through the lights... not at all, their 3/10 of a second grace would allow them to pass that point. But for me, coasting slowly as I turned left into the side street, I had flashlights going from every angle.

Before the beak, I explained all this, and particularly that I had actually entered the intersection before the lights went red.

No matter! Not worth a fig that you're trying to make sure that there's no accident!

Remember, had I stopped, I would have been there as the lights turned green with an open petrol can syphoning into my tank...

No matter! Pay up and cop the points!

I'll be taking that further, I can tell you...

[quote]mistareno:
    Originally posted by DoubleChevron:
    [qb]The only reason that I can think of for the cop booking him would be if his (or his pissed mates)attitude to the police was that of "suffer ya cop, you thought you were gonna do me", some cops don't really like that, and try to find something to book you for. It aint professional but it happens.....
    That's the problem with hearing just his side of the story, rose coloured glasses...
    But yes, it still sucks...
    I know this kid pretty well; he's just the opposite, the kind who would call the copper "sir" and if you saw the size of him, not one that his mates would be giving too much lip around. He'd have shut them up quick smart.
    He's a typical big country boy, real harmless big bugger. That's more likely the reason he nailed him; nice easy soft target.
    Incidentally, from all accounts, they weren't "on a binge" it was just that they'd had a couple & knew they would register so didn't want to take any risks; the kind of thing the Road Safety crew are always encouraging young people to do when they bumped into this hole.
    You know what they'll do in future in similar circumstances don't you? Take the risk.

mallet mallet dance

He's about to have dealings with his uncle!! cry whip

Alan S

<small>[ 09 April 2003, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Alan S ]</small>
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Cal
    Gotta get that quota up you know.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

I know somebody who was walking past the pub, and was a mate going to drive home, obviously the worse for wear.
    He offered to drive him home, and the fellow agreed.
    On the way home, they came to a random breath check, and the officer asked for the driver's licence. He replied that the licence was in the glovebox of the car, about 200m up the street, and he could fetch it if he liked,and he was only driving because his mate was over the limit.
    The officer replied that it was an offence in NSW to drive without your licence on your person, and there would be a $56 fine.
    He no longer offers to drive when he does not have his licence with him.
    Here in Tasmania it was not required to have your licemce with you until recently, but now it is required, so I will have to be careful too.
    I just hope nobody I know is booked or killed because of this stupid law. moon
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Gem
    Cal:
    Gotta get that quota up you know.

Cal.
    I do not know about how the police work, but I would assume that we cannot blame the police people for getting their quota, but perhaps blame the people who are higher up for setting them a quota.

I havent ever had a run in with the cops (yet) so I cant really say about my experiences.

I can understand cops following the rules and handing out fines, IF THEY DID IT TO EVERY SINGLE CASE. Although I know sometimes they give warnings and stuff. But where is the line saying yes its okay for a fine, and no they were under different circumstances and shouldnt be fined. Very hard to define when you are dealing with humans.

Did I make sense?
    ~ gemma ~
    '95 306 S16
    [MYS16]

Azide tastes nice on my cereal.

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Ray Bell similar thing happened to my mum but it was a overheating problem in her 306. She went through a set of lights and got done by red light cameras.
    Being a bit peeved wrote a letter stating it was a 36 degree day and had she stopped the car would overheated and then conk out and then cause a massive traffic jam at peak hour. She sent the letter in with a copy of the receipt from the mechanic who fixed the problem. The fine was cancelled, so there is still a bit of justice out there!!
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Can I have chapter and verse on that issue please?

I mean name, dates, location, who responded to the letter etc?

I'll fix their little red wagons...

Thread Information