Road Hazard
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Road Hazard

Fellow Frogger!

Road Hazard

Has anyone here ever hit a kangaroo or wombat? French cars wouldn't stand up to well to that I guess. What precautions do you take when driving in the countryside?

Someone on here near Brisbane told me he intentionally hits cane frogs(ouch if its true), I bet kangaroos are a different story. Are the cane toads out yet?

Is hitchhikin popular in Australia? Do you guys pick them up?

Thanks

Advertisement

1000+ Posts
    James,

The worst time for wildlife on the roads is usually just as dusk comes on, and for the first few hours afterwards.

I recently drove from Balranald (near Mildura but in NSW if you want to get a map out) to Sydney in my 306 leaving there at 1pm and got home at 10pm. I guess I just kept my eyes peeled. I did see quite a few roos on the road, and yes I did slow down and you just hope they jump the other way.

A friend has his a wombat in his Mistubishi Lancer. OUCH is all I can say!

Another friend hit a rabbit in his Mitsubishi Mirage (what is it with Mitsubishi's?) and even that damaged his front plastic bumper pretty badly.

On the hitch-hiking topic, I've never picked anyone up, no. I have talked about it, and the only ones I'd pick up are the organised looking ones who have a sign saying where they want to go.

Guys I know up in Cairns and on the Sunshine Coast (just north of Brisbane) intentionally hit cane toads! They're an introduced pest and just make a bit of a splatter on the car

Derek

Hitch hiking has not been unknown to me, by any chance... recently I've made a couple of trips by this method, and finished off another (in deference to the valve head that went through the 504 piston crown...)... it's cool if you're careful and think things out.

e.mail me directly if you're serious about hitch hiking so I can give you the advice that helps me get there quicker. raybell@eisa.net.au

Kangaroos are a pain, they can come from nowhere and do heaps of damage, but no more to French cars than others. Through the windscreen - a rare event, but it happens - they are potentially lethal as they kick around trying to get out.

Best protection is an electronic device called a Shu-Roo, costs about $340 and emits a signal up to 800m in front of your car and in a 300m circle immediately ahead of you that kangaroos read as a warning, they stop, become meek, turn and gently hop away.

Wombats are slow moving, heavy, close to the ground and solid. Hitting them is fatal for any car, unless you're really lucky.

Hi Ray,

Investigations of the 'Shu-Ru' and other related products show that they usually have no or very little influence on kangaroos. I believe these devices are similar to the 'ultrasonic' pest control devices which claim to repel insects. These insect devices emit the same electromagnetic radiation as an electric kettle (yet I have never observed cockroaches being repelled as boiled my water).

Having spent lots of time in the bush, I have seen the way roos behave. Kangaroos are stupid and unpredictable. They will be repelled even when a person approaches at a distance. When driving past a herd of roos they will hop away, panic, and then hop back in front of the car!

My only word of advice when seeing a herd of roos on the road is to pass then VERY slowly and keep pressing the horn. Otherwise, drive a big SUV with a proper bull bar.

I have hit roos before - with an M113 armoured personnel carrier. I didn't feel a thing
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

Fellow Frogger!
    How bad were they hit?

How the heck did you manage to hit one in an APC??
    Like a B-747 on a kamikaze attack on a F-16....or a USAF EP-3 Aries ramming a Chinese J8 fighter

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by billtran:
    Hi Ray,

Investigations of the 'Shu-Ru' and other related products show that they usually have no or very little influence on kangaroos. I believe these devices are similar to the 'ultrasonic' pest control devices which claim to repel insects. These insect devices emit the same electromagnetic radiation as an electric kettle (yet I have never observed cockroaches being repelled as boiled my water).

Having spent lots of time in the bush, I have seen the way roos behave. Kangaroos are stupid and unpredictable. They will be repelled even when a person approaches at a distance. When driving past a herd of roos they will hop away, panic, and then hop back in front of the car!

My only word of advice when seeing a herd of roos on the road is to pass then VERY slowly and keep pressing the horn. Otherwise, drive a big SUV with a proper bull bar.

I have hit roos before - with an M113 armoured personnel carrier. I didn't feel a thing

[This message has been edited by Jez 405 (edited 16 September 2001).]
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

I used to aim for cane toads when I was living in Queensland.
    They usually gathered on the streets after a down pour, early evening in summer.
    They don't splatter they tend to make a splashing sound.

The wild life is a real problem out in the west for the motor car. Between Nyngan & Bourke there is a straight (dead straight) road for 202KM's, so if it wasn't for the marsupials you could wind it out

[This message has been edited by gibgib (edited 16 September 2001).]

Fellow Frogger!
    Gibgib--surprised you hit the cane toads intentionally too. Could have been Chipper who told me he hits them on purpose as well. How big are these cane toads? Surprised you hear anything from behind the wheel.

Have any of you guys ever hit a snake?

Gibgib--I see the road(on the map) between Nyngan and Bourke that you're talking about. Is that the Mitchell highway#71?

Is there alot to do out in that Bourke area? Do any of you know of Australian ghost towns?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jez 405:
    How the heck did you manage to hit one in an APC??
    Like a B-747 on a kamikaze attack on a F-16....or a USAF EP-3 Aries ramming a Chinese J8 fighter

[This message has been edited by Jez 405 (edited 16 September 2001).]
    The APC incident occured when Bill was training with the Army Reserve near Singleton.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by billtran:
    Investigations of the 'Shu-Ru' and other related products show that they usually have no or very little influence on kangaroos. I believe these devices are similar to the 'ultrasonic' pest control devices which claim to repel insects
    While I agree with the description of the activity of the insect 'repelling devices,' I most strongly defend the Shu-Roo.

You can actually hear it, but not the ultra-sonic sounds that are heard by the animal involved.

To date, I have not seen one kangaroo cross the road in front of me when mine has been switched on. Yet one trip, when I didn't take the time to instal it, I took out two of them with some damage to my car (smashed plastic grille, exhaust system broke at a weak point as the thing went underneath, bumper bend by the second... none of which was as bad as what the duck did the same night! Yeucchh!

Shu-Roo also, for your enlightment, make a product called Roo-Guard. One experience with that is of a farmer in Western Victoria who installed these at strategic points around a wheat paddock his family had sown every year for over eight decades. Yet had failed to reap just once in that time due to the nearness of the paddock to a National Park and its protected fauna.

These are put on fence posts every so many hundred yards and emit the same kind of ultra-sonic sound as the Shu-Roo.

Previous years had seen the farmer out every night with guns too, all to little avail...

Once installed and in use for one season, however, the farmer declared:

"That's the first piece of farming equipment I've ever had that paid for itself in one season!"

They got a full crop off that paddock.

So I'll remember as I drive along with my Shu-Roo going full tilt, billtran, that as I crane my neck and strain my eyes to even see a roo anywhere around that I'm just being lucky... your investigations have beaten my experiences hands down.

By the way, have you ever seen a Shu-Roo?

Yuck Gibgib! Cane toads are toxic! Some people who have accidentally stepped on cane toads became temporarily blinded when bits of it went into their eyes.

In response to James, lets just say the roo I hit 'became' part of the road way.
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

I keep forgetting the Cane Toads...

They have many uses while alive, the brittle nature of their skin makes them useless (except as fill) when dead.

A friend enjoys his golf range practice in the field behind his home with them...

I like the way they sit and wait for you to stamp on them...

Running them over would be encouraged as a national pastime if more people weren't likely to lose control of their cars swerving to get them...

Fellow Frogger!
    do you guys generally stop when you hit stuff on the road?

Biltran, people can get blinded from cane toads? Australia is something else

Hi James,

Unfortunately cane toads are one of the world's least successful attempts at biological control - we imported the buggers from Hawaii in the 1920s to try and stop the cane beetle. No one seemed to notice that the beetle lived in the tops of the cane and the toad could not climb!

They have since spread as far south as the outskirts of Sydney, and are now entering Kakadu National Park in the NT. They have toxic glands on their skin, which can kill even a dog which tries to eat them, so they tend to do terrible things to the local wild life. They can also get nearly as big as a small football!

So you can see why sqaushing them might be considered a good national pastime.

Paul

------------------
    Paul Smith
    DS23 EFI BW Auto
    G Special 1220
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jamesnj:
    do you guys generally stop when you hit stuff on the road?
    ....Australia is something else
    Sometimes we stop... to make sure it's dead, pick up the bumper bar, beat out the mudguard (fender) so there's tyre clearance... or take a photo.

The Augathella area in south central Queensland is the biggest area for roo-swiping, as far as I've heard. Everyone there uses Shu-Roos because they have such a good reputation for protecting cars and trucks in that area.

As for your 'Australia is something else' comment, well, it sure is!

But don't get the idea that this is the face of Australia... as mentioned above, the cane toads are an import - from Hawaii!

We get the shudders when we think of what it must be like to encounter a moose on the highway, or have deer leap across in front of a car, as you have in your country.

It's amazing what people's perceptions are... my daughter in law in Indiana is reluctant to come out and visit because she has heard that our spiders are too dangerous, and that we have snakes...

Anyone like to comment on that?

Fellow Frogger!
    So how big does an animal have to be before you guys stop after hitting it?

Gib on the poster what kind of animal is that on the left that looks like a camel? The one in the middle is a wombat, right?

Do these cane toads just sit their and let you guys hit them? ON one of the websites from an Australian government site the cane toad looks huge, how big are the ones you guys are hitting? Hard to picture my Australian host picking me up at the airport and swerving to hit one on the way to my hotel. I guess you must be driving at some very high speeds

In the words of our old housekeeper, "lord have mercy"

1000+ Posts
    James, we don't stop over here when we hit things. If it IS a 'roo, chances are it'll get up and punch the shit out of you...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    about the only thing besides great keppel island and the sunshine i miss about QLD is the fun of aiming for the toads on the roads.

--------------------------------------------
    It's amazing what people's perceptions are... my daughter in law in Indiana is reluctant to come out and visit because she has heard that our spiders are too dangerous, and that we have snakes...

Anyone like to comment on that?
    --------------------------------------------

As for the snakes and spiders here Ray, i have a friend of mine in NZ who said the same thing before she made the venture to this great land but once she was here things were good as she only got to see a few snakes out on the road and she felt safe travelling past them (even with my driving lol)
    she always did comment though on the variety and number of air born insects we have here though
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Gib on the poster what kind of animal is that on the left that looks like a camel? The one in the middle is a wombat, right?
    Yep I found that on a web site. It must be from the Northern Territory where they roam wild. Some people breed these suckers for tourist transport or for their fleece (but not kill them ).
    The middle one is a wombat yes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Do these cane toads just sit their and let you guys hit them?
    In my whole time of being a professional toad splatter, I have yet to see one move away from my path! They are dead stupid....

Fellow Frogger!
    Gib what type of speed are you normally driving when you hit these toads? Are you on major highways, residential areas or like the Mt Glory area I saw pics of?

About 60KM per hour in the back streets - residential area, mostly in Tewantin (near Noosa).

The road you named as the Michell Highway is correct. The road must be one of the most monotonous roadway around. There is scrub to the left & scrub to the right. The shoulders of the road have a gradual grade before the scrub starts. So there isn't much time to react to animal attacks

Cane toads aren't that large, not more than a handful in size from what I've seen... you might get a better appreciation from your 49th state, where they originated.

In answer to the question about snakes, I ran over one last Sunday about a hundred metres down the road from where I live. Rockhampton is about half way up the Queensland coast, by the way. I've also seen snakes on the road in the outer suburbs of Brisbane, so they're certainly around.

As for the question on hitchikers - there were a couple of blokes waiting on the north-bound highway out of Rocky a couple of weekends ago when I went to work, with a sign stating their destination. Lots of trucks on that section of road heading up north, and I always thought they were happy to pick up hitchikers - these 2 blokes were still standing there five hours later when I went home. Personally, as a woman travelling alone, I wouldn't pick up hitchikers.

LOTS of dead roos on the main highway between Rocky and Brisbane - I wouldn't drive that road or some others in these parts around dusk due to the risk of hitting one - not only because of the damage to the car, but because I don't like the idea of killing them. Mind you, I have run over cane toads in Brisbane without a second thought, esp since they're so poisonous to wildlife.

Can't name any Aussie ghost towns off the top of my head, but you can always visit Birdsville in SW Queensland, which consists of a pub - and that's it.

penelope_s

Yerranderie is a ghost town, deserted when it became part of the catchment area for Warragamba dam... there are many others, and towns that are now dying are out there in abundance... larger country centres grow, the little places die, that's modern life.

Truckies aren't so prone to picking up hitchhikers, company rules often preclude it, but asking truckies for a lift at a truckstop usually gets reasonable results.

There are more unaccompanied women than ever giving lifts these days, in my experience.

Fellow Frogger!
    Thanks Ray Bell. I did a search and Yerranderie is incredible and so close to Sydney. Would you be able to give me the names of other ghost towns?

When is the wet season in Australia. THe Yerranderie site says a 4x4 is necessary to get there during the wet season

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information