noisy Bridgetones
  • Register
  • Help

noisy Bridgetones

My sister has recently had a pair of Bridgestone Turanza GR50 185/65 14" tyres fitted to the front of her 1997 Honda Civic. They have cured the wheelspin problem and make the car feel ALOT more stable and generally safer to drive, but they are VERY noisy! Is this normal?

They're running about 34 psi at the moment. The noise they make sounds alot like the noise you hear when a freight train goes by when you're sitting at the station, but not as loud (I'm not joking it really has a very similar cadence and tone to that sound).

Advertisement

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

I'm surprised, the Turanza isn't a performance tyre, it's tread pattern is fairly close together, which results in less noise being transmitted to the car. Large blocks in performance tyres cause more noise, so generally speaking a performance or ultra high performance tyre will create more noise than a touring tyre.

Also the Turanza is OEM on Magna (not sure about anyone else) so again, I'd be very surprised that the GR50 would be making noise.

It's also an Australian designed tyre, which means it should handle our variable road surfaces better than foreigh tyres. So I'm surprised.

What I have found is that some cars are worse than others when it comes to transmitting tyre rumble. My parent's Sube Liberty was woeful on A539s and Avon ZZ1s, but are fine on Sumitomos and the OEM Bridgestones Potenza RE010s.

Here's the info on Bridgestone's website. <a href="http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyre_div/selector/pattern.php?Pattern=GR50" target="_blank">http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyre_div/selector/pattern.php?Pattern=GR50</a>

Perhaps call Bridgestone and see what they have to say about it, would be my only suggestion. Otherwise, keep them on the front and be brutal on them Don't get them again and when your rears are due, put the new ones on the back, so you wear out the tyres you don't want quicker...

- Lincoln
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Guys
    I had the exact same tyres (Bridgestones) on my Xsara a couple of years ago.
    They were by far the quietest tyres I've ever used on this vehicle.
    Downside was they were *very* squishy in the sidewall department and as a result the car handled like a sack of prawns.
    The tread was obviously quite soft as well, and I only got about 18k out of them where I usually get around 35k+ out of a set of Michelins under the same conditions so this really negated the $25 per tyre initially saved on the cheaper Bridgestones.
    These are excellent tyres for Mitsi Magnas though... roll_lau but I don't think I'll be heading that way again.
    cheers!

1000+ Posts
    Dave, the wife had them on her car (a '98 Lantra) and they were very quiet and soft riding, and like Avatar says, squishy and soft. Maybe the alignment is way out...? Or are they mounted to rotate the wrong way?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

They were by far the quietest tyres I've ever used on this vehicle.
    The tread was obviously quite soft as well, and I only got about 18k out of them
    That's weird. These tyres on my sister's Civic are by far the LOUDEST tyres I've ever encountered (apart from chunky 4X4 tyres).

I hope they last longer than 18,000km, or my sister will be very unimpressed.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Stuey:
    Or are they mounted to rotate the wrong way?

Stuey
    Very good point, they are directional, so perhaps they mounted them incorrectly? Have you checked tyre pressure as well, as the tyre shops have to bed the tyre to the rim at a high pressure and sometimes don't drop it back to normal pressure...
    - Lincoln

what i find interesting is how many imported europen cars (especially mercs and beemers)have often been described by various magazine testers as having "noisy" tyres...tyre choices are dependant on so manu variables that its hard (2 me anyway) to decide which way 2 go...the same tyre that might be noisy on one car may be reasonably quite on another depending on weight of wehicle and type of suspension....maybe the reason the imported tyres are sometimes noisy is because they r a perfomance tyre (ie...u can trust them as u r cruesing at 200kmh in your beemer)..and our roads dont seem to be the best anyway...in regards to the turanzas it appears that they r definitelly a lot LAUDER on lighter cars than on some heavier vehicles but that judgement is based on owner reviews...i m not sure how hard the coumpound is of that particular tyre but ive found that teh harder the compound the more noisy the tyres are no matter what the tread pattern...u might find they will GO more quite after a bit of wear...

cheers
    dino

Yup and this is why most car mags that measure noise are doing from outside the vehicle. Motor, for one, were doing inside the vehicle which was unfair as each car is different in it's noise insulation.

As for Euro tyres handling faster speeds, well, I'd disagree, as that's handled by the speed rating of the tyre. What is different are the coursness of Australia's roads, which is a unique mix of American smooth concrete, smooth Japanese bitumen and the occasional rough B roads of the UK. Then we have our unique crap as well...
    - Lincoln

you r right gti, i was mainly referring to the big bmw and merc saloons...it just sounded that tyre noise was one thing to be critical about on some of these prestige cruisers....i d rather have noisy tyres that r SAFE at high speed than ones which r quite (possibly due to their compond) and easier to puncture....the fact that some tyers are
    TEAR resistant in case of a high speed puncture might have something to do with how noisy they are...so many variables...imagine what the lifespan of a soft compound tyre would be on a big merc or beemer or even a 607 for that matter...maybe one of the reasons manufacturers choose particular compromise...i d assume MOST manufacturers would side on high speed safety rather than noise which (like u said) is not always evident internally....

cheers
    dino

cheers
    dino

or they just chose the tyre they can get for the best price...but that's my cynical side coming out
    - Lincoln

GTI124:
    Stuey:
    Or are they mounted to rotate the wrong way?

Stuey
    Very good point, they are directional, so perhaps they mounted them incorrectly? Have you checked tyre pressure as well, as the tyre shops have to bed the tyre to the rim at a high pressure and sometimes don't drop it back to normal pressure...
    They are rotating the correct way and the tyre pressures are as per the owners manual (30-34psi).

I've encountered plenty of tyres which are noisy on coarse bitumen, but never any which are so noisy as these Bridgstone GR50s are on dead smooth bitumen. They are MUCH noisier than any of the chunky block treaded Michelins I've had (MXT and MXF).

With the window down the noise of these Bridgestones coming through the window is incredible.

One thing worth noting is that my sister had 14x6" alloy Speedy "Racing Fear" alloys fitted at the same time as these tyres, but I can't see how they would contribute much to any noise.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Some alloys do generate more road rumble than others. A friend of mine has the previous shape Astina and the rumble from the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2s and Bridgestone Potenza RE010s is significant. I can't help but wonder if the original steels and 1" smaller would make less noise...

Are the new rims one size bigger?
    - Lincoln

GTI124:

Are the new rims one size bigger?
    The new rims are the same diameter, but 0.5" wider (tyres are same size as before, 185/65 14").

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

1000+ Posts
    That's right GTI, apparently some alloys, especially real magnesium alloys, are stiffer and can transmit more noise. Steels give a bit of spring. I wonder if it'd be this noticable though? I reckon it must just be a combination of the tyre and suspension not being optimal, noise wise. Weird. Dave, the previous comparison tyres on my wife's car were Michie MXV3's which were definitely noisier.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Dave,
    If the wheels have been aligned to give too much toe-in (which I have heard that some tyre places do to wear out your tyres quicker so they can make another sale), wouldn't that increase friction between the tyres and the road and hence generate more noise. If it is really a problem, why not get the alignment checked somewhere else?
    Arthur

GTI124:
    I can't help but wonder if the original steels and 1" smaller would make less noise...
    In principle, I would agree with you on this. However, I have fitted 205/40 R17 Bridgestone Potenza G3 tyres to my Clio Sport (+ lower / stiffer suspension) and the road noise is very very low ... even lower than with the standard 15" Michelins. On smooth surfaces, the road noise is almost inaudible over the general rustle of wind (except when you hit a bump, but that's a different story...).

I think road noise is a combination of tyre compound and tread pattern as well as the car's ability to isolate vibration through it's suspension components, bushings, sub-frames, additional absorptive materials and whatnot. Of course, it goes without saying that the tyres have to be fitted and aligned properly for optimum results.

Hmmmm... perhaps the Bridgestones on the Civic generate a particular resonant frequency that does not bode well with the natural harmonics of that particular car. I don't know if that makes sense, but it sounds good!

Dave

Arthur:
    Dave,
    If the wheels have been aligned to give too much toe-in (which I have heard that some tyre places do to wear out your tyres quicker so they can make another sale), wouldn't that increase friction between the tyres and the road and hence generate more noise. If it is really a problem, why not get the alignment checked somewhere else?
    Arthur
    It's a possibility, although I don't think the alignment was done when the tyres were changed, but I'll check it out.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Thread Information