Pug Rubber
  • Help

Thread: Pug Rubber

Fellow Frogger!

Pug Rubber

I'm thinking about some new wheels for my 205 GTi (15" Compomotive MO's). Now I need some tyres to go on these rims, and some money to save for both.
    I'm either looking for 185/55/15 or 195/50/15 (which are cheaper and wider). I'm willing to spend up to NZ$200 a tyre. That's the price I've been told for some Pirelli P5000 Drago's.
    What alternatives are there and what sort of price and performance for them? I'm looking for a sporty tyre but aint got piles of cash sitting around.
    Any advice would be great.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts
    izza, i have dragos on my 8v 205, they seem good so far[fantastic in the wet] however the proof will be in the mileage i get from them. question? youre buying compomotive 15" for the 205! do they sell them brand new in nz? are there many wheels in nz sold that fit the odd size offset??

------------------
    jr20516v
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

MRT in Sydney are/were distributors for compomotive in aus - they might be able to source a pug wheel (if they're willing enough)don't expect them to be cheap tho

Fellow Frogger!
    The Compomotive's I'm getting off the importer (Simon Curry Ltd, a motorsport equipment retailer), I talked to Compomotive in the UK and they make them for the pug. I order the from the local guy, he places his annual order and mine come in with everyone else's.
    There are very very few wheels in NZ that fit pugs and I dont like any of them, so no stuffing around, go with motorsport wheels which will fit perfectly rather than stuffing around
    There aint too bad though just under NZ$300 a rim, Momo and TSW cost NZ$400 a rim.

Fellow Frogger!
    I have just fitted a set of Falken Azenis to my 205 with a new set of 15 inch aftermarket rims. Thet are great so far, but may be a bit hairy in the wet due to the large blocks, but a AAA dry weather rating means a bit if fun.

May have to modify the plastic wheel arch trims as they only come in a 195/55 15 size.

Cheers

Chipper

Fellow Frogger!
    Everyone I've spoken to recommends against the Dragos...

People on these forums will want to debate this till the cows come home, but I don't think much of the OEM P6000s on the GTi6 either.

I'll have to stand by Chipper with the Azenis' on this one, Bridgestone RE711s I've heard work well on the pugs, too.

Likewise...I have never used them but I hear the 'best of the best' track and hill climb racers love them.

See which lethal road weapons use Azenis here

[ 30 October 2001: Message edited by: Phasis ]
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!
    I couldnt affort some 15" wheels so I've had to go with new tyres for my 14" wheels. Got some Bridgestone Grid II second hand, all but new, heaps of tread left on them. For $75 each ($300 all up) fitted. Dont know what their like as they were only fitted today, but I'll let you guys know how things go. They should be better than my old tyres which were all but bald.
    Still if I can save up by december I'll have me some compomotives. Fingers crossed.
    Its a try between that or coming over to Melbourne for the Aust GP in March.

Thread Information