Slick 50 - the sequel
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Slick 50 - the sequel

Somewhere on here a while ago there was a brief discussion about the pros and cons of Slick 50. Well, I've never used it, but Ford Motor Co. apparently recommend it in Ford Zetec Formula Ford, and Formula Fiesta, race engines.

My inlaws put it in their Range Rover and it was much smoother, plus oil pressure increased by about 10 psi when hot.

Advertisement

Anybody had any bad experiences?

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

rek
    I've got no first-hand experience with Slick 50 (or any of the other teflon oil additives etc.) but I have heard from a few sources that the short-term improvements you get, come at a detriment to long-term engine life.

I'm not sure exactly what they mean by "detriment to long-term engine life" but there are a number of web sites around debating whether or not Slick 50 etc. is a good idea -- there would likely be further details around with a web search on the topic.

(PS. I'm of the opinion that if it really was that much better, oil companies would have already added the blend into their product)

[edit: to add that I have heard, though, that Slick 50 is a lot better for gearboxes, obviously as they have gears, rather than reciprocating pistons like in an engine)

[This message has been edited by rek (edited 12 September 2001).]
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

1000+ Posts
    Thanks, Rek. I've done a bit of a search of the web, and it appears that you're right. In fact, the owners of Slick 50 have been done for making misleading claims in their advertising.

What I gathered is that in applications where longevity doesn't matter (racing) it's fine because it reduces friction. Any slight blockages of filters etc. don't affect the engine as they're rebuilt so often.

That's good; I only wanted to use their gearbox additive anyway...

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!
    hi stuey.i used slick 50 gear treatment in my 505 wagon it had a whine at 60kph on overun and has done approx 255,000 km.i figure i had nothing to loose.after a run in period of three to four days the noise reduced by 80% and has gone up to approx 80 kph wich is better as it doesnt annoy me around town now.i have used it in mi16 gearboxes that have been trashed with slow synchros and have had great results.i treated my engine,cant say i noticed much but its done a lot of kms.like all products you add in there is good and bad reports you never know all the facts behind the story.

Hi Stuey,
    Everyone seems to have there opinon on this so I'll stick my head in, from what I've seen alot of people wait till there engine/gear box shows signs of wear before treating it and then blame the product when it doesn't work, thats a bit like shuting the gate after the horses bolted. I run all my cars on slick 50 and mobil one and they get driven hard and so far (touch wood) no worries at all. My father uses slick 50 and mobil one in his 30 year old Renault 10, he changes the oil only once a year and has never had to top it up and he drives it everyday.
    I know some one with a Renault 18 with over 800,000 km on the clock and has been treated with slick 50 every 80,000 km all its life (like they recomend) and still shows no signs of wear.
    My brothers BX16valve has done over 340,000 km so far and looks like it could easily do another 340,000, now I don't know whether we are just lucky, or maybe we're just good drivers, or maybe this stuff works.
    Seeya,
    David.

David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

I've taken to using a higher quality oil, the brand being Cadillac, which comes from Plainlands in the Lockyer Valley... though the oil is actually blended in Sydney.

They have a whole range of product and no additives are necessary. Prices are good too. One car, a Datsun I was using a couple of years ago, had a 9% improvement in fuel consumption just because I changed to this oil at the halfway point in a trip.

Thread Information