Speeding - or is it?
  • Register
  • Help
    UFO

Speeding - or is it?

A member of this house recently got done by a point and click revenue raising device. It was not Mrs UFO or I!

Anyway, when the penalty notice arrives, it is full of inconsistencies due to the improper use of the SI units of measurement. Please note that below case of the text is important, as anyone with and understanding of the metric system would appreciate.

The offence was: EXCEED SPEED 15 KM/H AND UNDER (CAMERA RECORDED)

Now here is the first impossiblity. You cannot do a Kelvin Mega / Henry. A Kelvin (K) is a measurement of thermodynamic temperature. A Mega (M) means one million and a Henry (H) is a measure of inductance.

Further on the same notice is states that the vehicle was travelling at a speed of 70KPH. Once again 70 Kelvin, the closest I can get to P is Pascal (Pa) and Henry appears again.

On an accompanying piece of pink paper there is a form letter thing that describes how and why they pinged you and it refers to 60kph in an example. This would be another variation, but at least they got half the symbol for km right!

I am surprised that no one has ever gone to court on this technicality. As it is not my speeding ticket I won't be doing so myself.

Advertisement

Perhaps our erstwhile government authorities should get their use of a measurement standard correct before they continue sucking our pockets dry.

They should be stating that the vehicle was travelling a 70km/h in a 60km/h zone.

Just some food for thought...
    mallet
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I guarantee that if you took it to court it would be explained that the printing device doesn't have lower case capability. And that 'everyone knows what it means anyway'...

And, worst of all, would the defendant be able to say that he wasn't exceeding the speed limit if put under oath?

Gone... history... waxed... taxed... pointed.

But an interesting point.

Hey Craig, are you sure your name isn't Stuart Littlemore?
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

UFO
    billtran:
    Hey Craig, are you sure your name isn't Stuart Littlemore?
    I'm pretty sure it's not, but my whole point I suppose rests on the fact that if they want us to do something correctly (ie stick to speed limits) then "they" should be sure they can use the correct terminology when referring to them.

SI is SI not some mish mash of languages. evil Which is why it is named SI - System InternationalŤ (hey - that's French - what a segue)!

<small>[ 28 January 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: UFO ]</small>
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO:
    Further on the same notice is states that the vehicle was travelling at a speed of 70KPH. Once again 70 Kelvin, the closest I can get to P is Pascal (Pa) and Henry appears again.
    P is peta, 10 to the power of 15. You were doing 70 Kelvin Peta Henry. That's a lot of Henry's. wink

Troy.

Thread Information