Pod type air filters
  • Register
  • Help

Pod type air filters

Has anyone used one of those ~$50 reusable element pod type air filters, like those ones you can get at Autobarn and the like. Do they actually give any benefit to the performance of an EFI engine, or are they just another fashion item?

Advertisement
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

well..there are a lot of variables..it ll be ultimately up to u to decide weteher its worth putting one of those "K&N" style pods...yes they have become all the rage nowdays and i think on some cars they r brilliant on thers.."SO-so"
    firstly have a look at your air intake box...does it look like its a reasonable size..if it appears quite small u ll find the POD will usually improve RESPONSE noticably as long as you make sure that the new pod does not SIT next 2 or above an exhaust system...make sure the pipe which originally fed your air box is now positioned towards your POD otherwise your engine will start sucking up underbonnet heat...I think the pods are "OK" at best...but they r very effective if enclosed in a COLD AIR box type of set up that insulates your air intake...the other benefit is that they do sound pretty good...

cheers
    dino

ps...i know when i worked at autobarn ..i used to go out and fit them ocasionally...and the moment most people heard the way the car sounded they didn t really CARE that much about any negligable performance gains...they were usually happy to part with the $40-$50 odd dollars just for the tunes...

i just recently put a kn pod filter in my 206, sounds bloody amazing and da car responds heapz betta, ppl think i've worked the engine...
    i just took the lid off the box, and now the pod practically sits in the box, keeping it cool
    2002 China Blue Peugeot XT
    Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder

One very knowledgeable fellow that used to frequent these forums once tested how much restriction the factory intake actually imposed on his 306 GTi6.

The result? About 0.5 Psi......which is 3/5's of bugger all.

I can't imagine a pod filter would be of any particular advantage.

still your have to argue the benifts of a "cold air induction system"

were basically.. to rip teh crap out of your air box. in an effort to increase the area inside.. and then had a consitand diamiter pipe.. as (striaght as posible) vented down to a are of yoru car where a higher pressure if exerted upon it... As to act like a mini mini forced induction system.. where teh presure is actualy forcing teh air up the pipe in to yoru air box..

I dont realy know teh physics of this once you get to a certain air requirment.. im sure there is some literiture around out there "shrugs"

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

macquered:
    One very knowledgeable fellow that used to frequent these forums once tested how much restriction the factory intake actually imposed on his 306 GTi6.

The result? About 0.5 Psi......which is 3/5's of bugger all.

I can't imagine a pod filter would be of any particular advantage.
    The above is true but one has to keep in mind that:
    1. Test was done on the 306 GTi which has a bloody excellent airbox straight from the factory
    2. The test was done using a home made test kit which showed some need for external air outside of the airbox feed. Talking to NTRX he did admit taking few shortcuts when measuring (including collapisble pipes to his test instrument in the cabin)
    3. A lot high reving motorsport vehicles seem to use them...

But your comment is still very valid.for road going cars.

<small>[ 07 April 2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: tekkie ]</small>
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

I tried a pod filter on a 206 GTi. As it took a minute to fit, I tried it on and off, and on and off again. Noticed no performance difference at all. But the noise was cool.
    The way these things are called cold air induction kits/systems is just trying to make them sound sexy. Blinding us with science. Having said that I would expect no gains generally whatsoever, except for noise. However, in the 205 GTi, a pod filter will cut about one or one and a half metres from the induction pathway, which seemed to help response in my car, and with a hot cam sounded even wilder. In this car which was hotted up for power not torque, it allowed good things to happen. Any loss of torque wasn't an issue. But I wouldnt stick it on a standard car and expect more power at all.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

No..dont expect much in power...most engineers are not complete idiots ..ie..they know what they are doing so u ll find most boxes are sufficient ..insulated "cold air boxes" really come into play once u ve made further mods...ie exhaust.. i m sure many of you have heard many companies quoting their "chips' as delivering particular power increase which is usally based on the fact that one should have a "mod" [email protected]@#**@ite"exhaust and performance filter... ON some cars like the 205 gti the pod only makes sense if you completely cut the system to bare bones and that includes repositioning the afm so that Z POD sits right infront of battery...the 205 system is quite crazy once u think about it...
    1, air goes ACROSS HOT engine
    2, air is filtered and then BACK across Z hot engine AGAIN...
    duhhh.....
    so even if u can simplify your induction and possibly create greater pressure on the intake..that alone is worth fitting the pod on...anybody who s interested can hunt down the design used by nascar...which uses low/high pressure design that helps accelerate the intake air...

cheers
    dino

ps...i ve also read somewhere that the great INTAKE above the drivers heads on F1 only delievers a FEW EXTRA HP due to forced induction...most is obviously engine based...

<span><span class=ResizableText0>
    Originally</span> posted by Haakon: <strong>Has anyone used one of those ~$50 reusable element pod type air
    filters, like those ones you can get at Autobarn and the like. Do they actually give any benefit to the <span class=ResizableText0>performance</span> of an EFI engine,
    </span> </span>
    Short answer; minimal peak power, but varies from car to car in the middle bits(rev range). sometimes its a loss here for a gain there..
    cheers Xq

ps, the Pod on my S16 isn't much louder than factory. But gives the car a good boost and comes onto song about 3000rpm, rather than 4, from factory, but this was coupled with better plugs.
    ... ptui!

Ive got one of those pod filters on my fuego but makes no difference in sound or in performance i think (ive had it on for years so i dont remember how it was stock). I think its due to the carbie and not fuel injection

bowie:
    still your have to argue the benifts of a "cold air induction system"

were basically.. to rip teh crap out of your air box. in an effort to increase the area inside.. and then had a consitand diamiter pipe.. as (striaght as posible) vented down to a are of yoru car....

I dont realy know teh physics of this once you get to a certain air requirment.. im sure there is some literiture around out there "shrugs"
    Can you blokes speak english please, this sort of deliberate mis spelling is worse than SMS texting.

XTC
    MR206:
    i just recently put a kn pod filter in my 206, sounds bloody amazing and da car responds heapz betta, ppl think i've worked the engine...
    i just took the lid off the box, and now the pod practically sits in the box, keeping it cool
    Any photo's question I'm sure the guys on 206GTi.net would like to take a look (or they can put the photo's on the site for future reference).

peugeot_ XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Thread Information