Try 'Opera' web browser
  • Register
  • Help

Try 'Opera' web browser

It's supposed to be the fastest thing around, and on this site I find the pages load so much faster it's not funny(than I.E.)

Advertisement
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

But the web browser shouldn't affect your connection speed - it could load things like java, etc a little faster I guess.

If your computer is brisk, I'd imagine connection speed, not the brower would be the key determinant of page loading speed.

Anyway, if it's loading faster for you, that's good.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Pug307:
    But the web browser shouldn't affect your connection speed - it could load things like java, etc a little faster I guess.

If your computer is brisk, I'd imagine connection speed, not the brower would be the key determinant of page loading speed.
    I've been using "Opera" for over a year now, and I always prefer using it to IE or Netscape. It does seem to be faster at loading and displaying pages most of the time, but I think its real benefits are how easy it is to customise and its many features. For example, "mouse gestures" which let you go backwards, forwards, open and close pages just by holding the right mouse button and making a slight movement with the mouse. Whenever I go back to IE, I find myself doing the gestures out of habit...

It can get a bit temperamental on pages written for Microsoft's own dodgy version of HTML, but most sites (Aussiefrogs included) display perfectly OK.

I think the reason Opera displays pages faster is because it's Norwegian designers wrote it from scratch, whereas IE and Netscape have been constantly added to and patched up since they were made many eons ago. There should be more info on their site: <a href="http://www.opera.com" target="_blank">www.opera.com</a>

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

I use Opera at home and would never go back to IE or Netscape (mozilla). I love the tabbed windows (meaning you only have one browser window open, but then multiple windows tabbed in the main one) and the mouse botton foward and backward browsing. Basically you hpold down the right botton and click the left tom browse backwards, othe other way for forward. The trnasfer window is handie aswell.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

what can i say....THE NEW OPERA is SENSATIONAL...thanks guys for recomemding it....i SECOND what these guys are saying: JUST TRY IT!...test it out on some of the slower sites you might visit and i m sure you ll see a big difference in the way pages load....i think opera is looking like its going to be the death of IE....i ll certinly be recomending it to all my friends and family...check this link out and see especially what BRETT has to say about it:

<a href="http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/4187.htm" target="_blank">http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/4187.htm</a>

It is quite fast.

The mail feature annoys the crap out of me and I have no idea how to switch it off (how do you remove accounts?). Lack of folder functionality in the bookmarks is also somewhat annoying (how do you create a folder?) as well as the lack of "Links" feature I use extensively in the Ie for quick jumping into known liks (Aussierogs for eg).

But its FAST !

Now back to manual to find out how to switch that Mail off....
    Anyone... help with the above?
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

This link may be interesting - someone's written a new browser.

<a href="http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/01/28/1043534051122.html" target="_blank">http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/01/28/1043534051122.html</a>

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I use Crazy browser (www.crazybrowser.com) which is a different interface for IE. It has tabs, pop up filters, screenshows, click and drag images to new tabs, opening whole folders of urls, search facility built into a side bar (that isn't HTML, like NS7), all that stuff. I'm yet to see an interface which is as nice to be in.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Anyone out there tried Safari yet?

<a href="http://www.apple.com.au/safari/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com.au/safari/</a>

or Chimera
    <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/chimera/" target="_blank">http://www.mozilla.org/projects/chimera/</a>

I gather they both take some beating on the speed front.

There is an interesting comparison of Web browsers for use under OSX at <a href="http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/os-x-browsers.html" target="_blank">http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/os-x-browsers.html</a> by the way

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 31 January 2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Pug307:

Anyway, if it's loading faster for you, that's good.
    The web browser doesn't affect the connection speed, but it can make a huge difference to performance on the web. These days a web browser does a lot of work. The efficiency of coding, the quality of java implementation and access and host of other things affect browser performance.

Yes, computer speed / graphics card performance etc etc makes a big difference too of course, but its worth trying a few of the "other" browsers. They really can make a big difference. You'll find that some sites like one browser better than others, because of different levels of "standardisation" of html code etc., but some really are faster than others. Often, though, there is a trade off between speed and other aspects of functionality or com[patability.

If you want to see one of the reasons why AOL is going broke, take a look at the compatability problems of their offerings at <a href="http://www.webreview.com/browsers/browsers.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.webreview.com/browsers/browsers.shtml</a>

(somehow they managed to make it slow as well!)

There are vast differences in things like the amount of HD and RAM real estate that they occupy too. (Often the bigger they are, the slower they are) ICab and Opera on a Mac running OS X each take about 6 Meg of HD space, for example. IE takes around 20 meg. Mozilla (Netscape for OSX) consumes 35Meg!

There are big differences on different platforms too. Opera, for example, is fast on a PC, but slow, compared to other offerings, on the Mac.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Well, I made the transition from IE/Netscape and installed Opera on the recommendation of you guys and all I can say is that OPERA ROCKS!!.
    Is't just sooooo much faster on my steam driven PC it isn't funny.
    It's like when you drive around with a really dirty windscreen for a few days and then you say " Bugger this" and you give the glass a wipe down and the whole world re-appears in front of you as new again. You say to yourself "Jeez why didn't I do that sooner"
    Very Impressed
    Thanks
    dance dance dance dance

It's like when you drive around with a really dirty windscreen for a few days and then you say " Bugger this" and you give the glass a wipe down and ....
    I knew there was some reason I couldn't find the driveway this morning! Thanks, Avatar.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Since reading this post I have installed Opera and am another convert wink

It's a bit hard to compare speed, but it has a bunch of features that just make it sooo much easier to use than IE. Full screen mode, clever mouse and keyboard functions, love the zoom facility. On the speed issue, Opera has a one click button to disable loading of images so when revisiting lengthy pages (on Aussiefrogs) with several pics, 'disable images' read text and if a new pic has been loaded since your last visit mouse click "show image" that in itself will have you browsing much faster wink

Also smart enough to auto-import all your bookmarks/favourites from IE.

Love it
    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

GreenBlood,

Fullscreen: F11 also works in the IE.

I have managed to come to terms with the Opera and the weird way Fav's (History) are managed in Opera.
    I am still getting used to the idea of NOT closing the whole thing like I used to do in IE (Alt-F4) would close the page. Closing pages in Opera is a lot more complicated for the old IE user. Having said that Opera is now my default browser.....

<small>[ 02 February 2003, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: tekkie ]</small>

Tekkie,

Close page: Ctrl F4 wink

Bookmarks are quite intuitive, Bookmarks/Manage Bookmarks to 'add a folder'. You'll find all your IE Bookmarks under Bookmarks/Auto-imported/Internet Explorer Favourites.

Email is set-up/disabled by going to File/Prefences/Email

Another useful ****ion for avid Aussiefrogs is the ability to set pages to reload at set intervals from 5 seconds to 30 minutes, I have Aussiefrogs "Todays Active Topics" set to reload every 10 minutes and can see new posts in a flash

Still luving it wink
    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

CTRL-F4 ..... God bless you !

I had few probs with email. I tried setting up my Hotmail account but it spat it out as invalid something or other. I tried deleting it to no avail. Shortly after both my email accounts in opera were playing up. I followed the instructions listed in Support webpage but then all went haywire. Had to reinstall Opera.
    so far thats the only bug/limitation I found.

cheers
    tekkie

GreenBlood:
    Another useful ****ion for avid Aussiefrogs is the ability to set pages to reload at set intervals from 5 seconds to 30 minutes, I have Aussiefrogs "Todays Active Topics" set to reload every 10 minutes and can see new posts in a flash
    You can do this in IE too, Chris, using the "Subscribe" option, by the way.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

UFO
    Well I have just installed Opera for the second time. I tried an old version a couple of years ago and was not that wrapped. This new one looks lots better though.

It seems to run very well on my clunky old Pentium 200MMX (yes screaming edge technology here at home) And on my raging 26.4kb connection it seems better than big old fat IE.

Give me a couple of weeks to try it and I'll let you know.

Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

RE: ufo...heheh clunky old 200mmx....well thats pretty much the state of my machine...although i was lucky enough to stumble on an AMD 450 chomper
    (socket 7)...just popped that in, set the multiplier switches to 2X (amd processors, old ones anyway, see this a 6X)...now my APTIVA runs nicely at 400...256mg of sdram, 32tnt, and 56hardware modem.....i know its not the latest but it suffices for what i do....maybe if you give us more tech info on your system some of the guys here can help u get more speed out of it???..ie...if software modem; initilisation strings can make a big differnce..hell maybe you can upgrade to 56k just via software....couple hundred of dollars at the local compter swap meet could probably double/triple and possibly quad. your performance....as long as you remeber the machine will only be as fast as its slowest component...

PS... i laughed outloud recently when i saw one of those little PALM jobs running at 400....

dino
    cheers......

re: ufo and 200mmx.....hehheheh
    just read the matilda post...then checked UFO profile...than proceeded to PISS myself laughing...IT OPERATIONS....and here i m advising on possible benefits of initilisation strings....

cheers

dino

UFO
    Well the other side of the office has a 733 with chunky HDD and 17" monitor connected to the home LAN which also includes a Lexmark Laser printer. FTTT I connect my Armada Laptop to it also.

The 200 is basically our file server and internet box these days. The real work like the car club mag (The Chevrons) is done on the 733.

Don't worry, the internet will speed up for us come ISDN in May.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information