cheap insurance for us younger people
  • Help

cheap insurance for us younger people

if you are like me, and under 25, you know insurance is a bastard. try www.youngandcool.com.au, i got a quote for a touch under a grand (half AAMI and FAI,etc) and they dont charge much extra for aftermarket exhausts, suspension, or wheels.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Nick

Advertisement

ncchandler@dingoblue.net.au

rek
    hmm.. 21yo, 2000 GTi6, 45% NCB (lets say rating 3) ... they won't insure it for more than $30,000 value, and even then it costs about $2670 with them.

[edit: oh, they misspelt "PEUGEOT" on their online quote system too. ]

on the other hand, Westpac insurance insure me for ~$1900 (and they value the car at $36000).

http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...uring+your+car

it might be worth your while giving them a call -- you might find an even cheaper option.

Westpac give out the best premium quotes from what I have seen -- and it only takes 5 years to get full NCB (instead of 6). Catch is, you lose two points if you make a claim instead of one.

I think it says something about the insurance situation for us when a bank of all places, is better than the rest of the insurance scoundrels, err companies!

[This message has been edited by rek (edited 11 September 2001).]
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

thanks for putting things into perspective for me. Here's me thinking I must be mad to spend a couple of thousand on an old car.... But if it cost's that much just to insure a newer one well.... I like my old bombs!!!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: They don't list Citroen CX at all in the online guide, let alone the CX2500gti turbo I'd still like to get some quotes to insure!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts
    Hi

Well I thought I'd look at them too, but they charge more than NRMA with a 50% NCB.

I'm 21 as well, and they wanted about $1800 for my 1994 306 but NRMA is $1230. NRMA value it at $13 000.

I didn't particularly feel comfortable with the e-mail that I got back from them from a Yahoo! free e-mail address either.

One last thing, they say they are underwritten by Lloyds of London. I read in the paper Lloyds of London is going to be heavily involved in the US Terrorist insurance payout and may have difficulty paying out...

Derek

When our NRMA renewal arrived early last month we were amazed our premium had risen by $600 however our insured value of the car had dropped by nearly $1k. They wanted $1850 for their comprehensive cover, previously it was $1250.
    We called a few other insurance companies, all were cheaper. Aami ended up being best for us, just over a grand & seems to offer some better services to NRMA.
    Summary:
    NRMA: $1850
    AAMI: $1000

85% more for what!

rek
    ohhh God, don't get me started on NRMA/RACV insurance ...
    Peter

automotive insurance in general is a bloody joke. my brother is looking at getting a new car, and got a few quotes, with a rating 3, for a volvo 850 t-5, and they wanted 3500+. make sure your car is garaged at night and secure during the day, because this makes a huge difference. i got myself a few quotes for an mi16, Y&C was around 1400, AAMI was 2100, RAC was 1500, but young and cool are not too happy with any mods. i might ring westpac today!

I did sensational with Metway when insuring my S16. Just got the policy renewed, im 24, full comprehensive, market value, rating 1, 60% NCB, $650 excess: $784/year.

Only only ever previously had 3rd party F&T with my Alfa through metway. If i stayed with them thay took every year I had without a claim under 3rd party as a full comp cover, so I got rating 1 with only 1 year on Full Comp. Not bad eh?
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Here is a few tips if you want cheap insurance:
    1. Don't loose your lisence.
    2. Don't loose your lisence for a second time
    3. Don't crash
    4. Don't park on the street.

Follow these few simple rules and your insurance premiums will be looking a whole lot better ... TRUST ME

Fellow Frogger!
    Hehe but Phasis you're in QLD ya bloody bastard! Insurance is waaay cheaper up there.

Well for Sydney siders it sounds like Rek is onto a good thing.. I'm 24, have a 45% no claim, insure my GTi6 for $24K and pay AAMI $2588.

I cost NRMA over 30K in 3 years, so they were a bit nasty when it came to insuring through them again this year.. oops!

Their online calculator said $2700 odd, but mysteriously an over-the-phone quote was in the region of $3400. Must have some big, bold red writing under my name..

I'll have to check out Westpac next year, I didn't even know they did insurance.

Fellow Frogger!
    98 306 Xsi, NRMA $2400! im 23, listed under my mum's policy so i get her 60% no claim bonus. I just did an online quote with nrma again but myself listed as the only driver with 60% no claim, $1600! can't wait til this policy finishes

rek
    BTW that quote for the GTi6 at $1900pa was if it was wholly owned. I forgot to mention to them a minor matter of a $26000 loan :p ... the actual figure I'm paying is $2350pa. Still not bad for a 21yo in a GTi6

As for RACV/NRMA insurance, I hate them with a passion. When it came to renewing my policy for my old Prelude about a year and a half ago, the letter in the mail said $900 for 6 months, thanks ($1800pa). No problem. I go into the office, and they give me some BS about how they can't give me a full 12 month policy, because original policy was only a 6 month term, so with that paper and quote I could only get another 6 months' insurance.

So the nice young lady punches some numbers into the computer and give me a new quote -- $2700 -- "oh, it must have changed when they put the new computer system in."

Next question I asked was, "if I cancel my policy NOW, do I still get a week or two of cover while I change insurance companies?"

In my eyes RACV/NRMA are not motorists' clubs anymore. They are now just an insurance company with a monthly member magazine...

ntrx: I didn't know Westpac insured cars either -- after the above 'episode' I went hunting with a vengeance for a better insurance deal. I happened to find ANZ had car insurance, so I looked at all the other banks and lo and behold there it was.

Pugsly: I don't think no claim bonuses are transferable that way (at least not anymore).

AFAIK the only 'cheap' way to build up a no claim bonus is to do what Phasis did. (have TPFT insurance, and then later get a comprehensive policy with the same insurance company)
    Peter

Fellow Frogger!
    The NRMA lady i spoke to said i will get my mum's no claim bonus since i've had my licence for 5 years, she better no be wrong!!!

Fellow Frogger!
    I just spoke to NRMA again, they changed their no claim bonus guidlines last week! Anyways, if you have held your licence for 5-10 years without any claims, you are eligible for 50% ncb. If you have held you licence between 3-5 years, then its 30%. There are probably more traps, you will need to ring nrma and ask. I dind't think 10% was much until i did the sums. In my particular case, 10% is approx $300 =(

You guys really pay that much just for insurance, I can't believe it, really, it cost that much, I'm shocked, If I told you all how little it costs me to insurer the 12G you guys will probably come down here and shoot me. Funny, I've been trying to find anything good about turning 40, I think I just did.

David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Heee,heee,heee,

I wanna see the look on Dave's face if something ever happens to his R12. They'll try & write it off for $250bucks saying that's all an R12 is worth......

They do know the difference between a Renault 12 & a Renault 12 Gordini don't they???

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: The most I've ever paid for insurance is $150 a year. Yep just to cover the other persons car. I used to get quotes of $2000+ to cover my CX that was probably worth $5500 at the time. Guess what I told them all they could go do with the quote??????(you really don't need a good imagination to work it out!). Never (ever) tried to get comprehensive since. Probably never will...
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I go through a broker who presents me with a quote each year (he does all the leg work) if I don't like it I tell him to try a little harder and he can always manage to do that, the D is with a company that looks after classic cars and I think I'm paying something like $220.00 fully comp. There doesn't seem to be any restriction on how many k's I drive, and it has an agreed value of $15,000 if it's written off (also have first bite of the spoils if the wreck is to be sold). The XM is around $750.00 given the scarcity of parts ect. I can live with that risk.

For the record no fines or accidents in the last 10 years or so (still have a bit of fun, but tend to be more cautious than when I was a lad), so Shane is well in front with Third party fire and theft

I guess there are some benefits to being an old fart

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Hi Chris,

$220 a year comprehensive, who's that through. Might actualy be worthwhile for my ID19. It might be worth more than it's yearly insurance premium when finished! (maybe )

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: I'm 27 now & never had an accident or traffic offence so: A)I'm the luckiest idiot alive, and B) I shouldn't still be so expensive to insure??
    PPS: The Stickers just turned up, they look amazing!!! How much do I owe you for them??

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: DoubleChevron ]
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Shane,

I'll check out insurer when I get home.

Glad your happy with your stickers, I reckon a carton should square us up (of LHM of course) nah just keep posting on this site (suck suck) that's reward enough

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

OK I'll tell ya, just to shut you up Shane. The 12G's with a company called Torque, its agreed value of $30,000 , unlimited windsreen claims, I retain the wreck and I chose the repairer and it cost me about $230 per year and yes they do know the difference between a 12 and a 12G.
    I got a story for you though.
    About 15 years ago a mate of mine,(if fact the bloke how got me hooked on these little blue and white things) had just finised restoring his 12G and wrote it off, he was the 3rd party a car came though a stop sign , T boned him and rolled him over, I did the insurance quote for him, remember this would have been about 1985/6 and the quote came to about $16,000, the claim was with RACV so you can imagine what they said o a $16,000 quote on a Renault 12. Well after nearly 12 months of haggling it was finally agreed that an indepandent valuer was needed, so in walks Robert Shannon, well you couldn't meet a keener bloke, pulled up in a stag wearing a suit and tie and in no time flash was under the car checking gearbox numbers, engine and chassis numbers, he had all the info down and confirmed the car was what we claimed and within a month we had a cheque from RACV. amazing hu.
    It goes on, about 6 months later a club member bought a 17 Gordini and rang AAMI for a quote, the brain dead girl on the switch says, certainly sir I can give you a quote right now, is your car a TL or a G R O D I N O ( or something like that she said), its a Gordini came the reply, I'm sorry sir we are not allowed to insure those.
    So who says computors arnt linked to each other.
    Seeyas,
    David.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

Hi Guys,

why don't you try this place, I just got an online quote from them:

Rating 1 driver, 27years old:

1 of the most powereful Cit's ever built:
    85' Citroen CX2500 GTi Turbo I series II, private import, daily use & garaged, value $20,000 inc. GST & fees $686.01

Nearly the last powerful 'D' ever built

'63 ID19 Garaged, limited use (twice a week), agreed value $10,000 inc. fees & GST $239.40

Yeah, taking away a whole heap of grunt certainly makes there figueres better. The point being though I can insure a rare imported turbo car for way less than $1000.00. Maybe some of you guys should get a quote??

"Dawes Motor Underwriting Group" insure@dawes.com.au

seeya,
    Shane L.

[ 04 December 2001: Message edited by: DoubleChevron ]</p>
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

woops sorry, you need to go here:

<a href="http://www.dawes.com.au/quoteform/quote.html" target="_blank">http://www.dawes.com.au/quoteform/quote.html</a>

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

This is crazy,

just got the same quote for my 79 CX2400 as the imported turbo:

To cover with an agreed value of just $4500 it'll cost $475!! Crazy, to cover a high performance personal import covered for more than 4 x that amount (20,000) is just over $600. You wonder why I don't bother with insurance. It's crazy (though I must admit that is the best quote I've ever got for the car).

I'm sticking to my 3rd party for $89 a year.... Covers me upto $3500 for being hit by an uninsured driver anyway.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Shane, give Torque a try, I don't have there number on me but there in the book.
    I have the 12G full comp, the MI16 full comp and the 17G third party for less than
    a grand.

David.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

Thread Information