Long time, no log on
  • Register
  • Help

Long time, no log on

Optus pulled the pin on my broadband for uploading too much so I'm dialing until the 5th of Feb when they remove me from the corner of the room for being bad.
    I'm not a fan of the internet waiting game so I only collect me emails do banking & then get orf.
    Optus say they sent 3 warning emails but I didn't see any & then last Monday after work I discovered my modem offline. They even told me it was my second offense, when was the first???
    Not happy Jan. moon

{gibgib: re-discovering books, TV, & earlier sleeping times}

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Nella
    who i am an agent for don't have upload charges or limits
    only download limits on ADSL
    let me know if you want more info
    happy to oblige
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Noticed things are a bit slow??

Check this out.

<a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030125/ap_wo_en_po/na_gen_internet_attack_2" target="_blank">http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030125/ap_wo_en_po/na_gen_internet_attack_2</a>

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan S:
    Noticed things are a bit slow??
    Yep, reached my 3gig download limit today so Optless have got me sitting in the opposite corner to gibgib until the end of the month with reduced bandwidth of 28k eek! waiting....waiting....

We've missed you Gibgib shy

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts
    I got sick of the waiting game, and got in touch with Telstra (my ISP) to find out about ADSL. I can't get it! Bloody hell! I thought practically everyone in newish metro areas could. Any comments? I don't fully understand why - something to do with my local exchange. Does this mean it's pointless trying other ISP's because they'd use the same infrastructure? Note cable isn't an option here either.

Not happy Jan II - the sequel.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Stuey:
    I got sick of the waiting game, and got in touch with Telstra (my ISP) to find out about ADSL. I can't get it! Bloody hell! I thought practically everyone in newish metro areas could. Any comments? I don't fully understand why - something to do with my local exchange. Does this mean it's pointless trying other ISP's because they'd use the same infrastructure? Note cable isn't an option here either.

Not happy Jan II - the sequel.

Stuey
    I pretty much in the same boat as you Stuey. My exchange supports ADSL, however Tel$tra informed that the phone line is pair gained. So not only I am I unable to get ADSL, but I stuck at 28.8k connection speeds. No cable either. And it's not like I am in the outer suburbs or anything, I live less than 10k's from the CBD.

The only other option would be satellite, but initial costs are high, as is the latency. Make's it crap for online gaming.

Troy.

You guys could have saved yourselves a load of time & trouble talking about the "Telstras service to the bush" by doing a copy & paste of a couple of messages Craig & I have made on this.
    Here's another to ad to the collection on reasons why Telstra should be putting profits into infrastructure & not back into shareholders pockets; We bought a new cordless phone with caller ID. We duly rang Telstra and asked for it to be connected and received a very helpful & friendly response from the young lady the other end. Whilst on "hold" we were entertained by the piped music and information messages thanking us for calling and "telling about some of Telstras deals currently available" which included first month of called ID for free for anyone connecting in the month of December. The conversation ended with the words "it will be connected by around 3 this afternoon...."
    About 4 we tested....no go... at 9 same result. Next day...no, and this continued for several days until eventually (after making allowance for public holidays, short staffed etc) we rang to enquire why. "No sorry sir, it's OK our end" came the reply, "maybe the phone is incompatable or faulty; everything checks out here!" With that we took the phone to someone elses place & tried & it worked, so back on the phone to Telstra. Eventually we were referred on to a service guy. Same responses until he ran out of feeble excuses and offered to come out & check. After several calls that when answered responded with "'s alright mate, 's only me" we eventually got a call that said, "keep an eye on it and I'll ringya back...think I got it!" Whereupon he did & he had...we had caller ID but why the problems? The Exchange is so antiquated, the fibre optics run out about 2 ks from the top of our street and if anyone else wants it on we could be in strife as he needs to get another "card" to make it work.
    Best bit is, the account came through the other day AND....you guessed it!!! Amongst the charges for the month is one "Call ID feature $6.00" Yep, they've really got it together this crew! mallet mallet mallet

Alan S whip

So tell me... if anyone knows...

How viable is Austar's satellite connection?

Ray Bell:
    So tell me... if anyone knows...

How viable is Austar's satellite connection?
    I can't get it where I am believe it or not; everybody seems to want to argue that point except Austar who have given up trying, but if you can get it & if it's even half as good as their pre-pay it should be brilliant.
    We've had such a magical run out of their pre pay scheme, you couldn't give me any other service at this stage.

Alan S cheers!

UFO
    Troy

Yes you've been hit with the pair-gains thing too. Aint 28.8kb great (if you get that much speed - we consider ourselves lucky to get 26.4)

Another bit of news in the local rag yesterday. Apparently the air pressure in the Telstra cables in this area (Wollongong)is way below standard and they are expecting major failures any time their is the slightest hint of that wet stuff that used to fall out of the sky. The air pressure is maintained in the cables to keep water out. It is supposed to be something like 70kpa but some cables around W'gong are down as low as 0.7kpa.

Another bonus for having "cost cutting measures" and corporatisation of telco infrastructure. mallet
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts
    Alan, thing is, I live in Joondalup City 25km from Perth CBD in an new area with reasonably new wiring and exchanges... At least I'm getting 31.2Kbps moon Worst thing is I just bought my parents their first computer, with a 56k V.92 modem, and they consistently connect at 46.6.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Stuey:
    Alan, thing is, I live in Joondalup City 25km from Perth CBD in an new area with reasonably new wiring and exchanges... At least I'm getting 31.2Kbps moon Worst thing is I just bought my parents their first computer, with a 56k V.92 modem, and they consistently connect at 46.6.

Stuey
    ........and on my pre-paid, I'm costantly connected at 49.2. Not too bad hey??

Alan S

this is not a plug but i just recieved this from my suppliers so other ISP's may also be following the trend as well maybe

Unlimited Residential & Business ADSL

We are in our final stages now of organising our new FlatRATE ADSL services. Our Pricing & Plan details will be released on Tuesday (subject to change before official product launch) and we will have an official product launch in Late February, Early March. The advantage of our service is that it will be available in every state and will utilise the Comindico backbone. Keep an eye out on our Website for more details.

Two Way Satellite, Long Distance Telephone & Wireless

We are currently looking at alternative technologies than ADSL and One Way Satellite to service customers in remote areas. We are currently investigating a new Two Way Satellite Service and possibly Wireless. Long Distance Telephone Services (Preselect and Override) are also being considered (to be packaged with ADSL Services). We will keep you informed on our progress.
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Well, I'm an Optusnet cable user as well and I've had no problems (touch wood )

However, at our business we are connected to ADSL (because we have no access to cable). It is very unreliable and expensive. For some reason it ALWAYS goes down on hot days or on weekends - on other days it goes down randomly. From my own experience, don't touch ADSL until the boys from Telstra pull their thumbs out the proverbial.
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

UFO
    Bill

I refer you to my previous post about Telstra. Their systems are falling apart - even the on the ground techos will tell you the same. You can only take so many people out of an organisation to "save costs" before it starts to fall apart. And here we see a great example of that.

On another note - was told by someone in the industry the other day that in the area of Gunghalin in ACT, when the area was laid out, Telstra advised the developers to put in fibre (logical) for future use. Only prob is that they told them the wrong sort - so now there are kms of cable under the street and it is completely useless. D'Oh!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Pugrambo, I'd be interested in 2 way satellite if the equipment required was under the $300. I can install.
    I've already got a 1.2m KU dish for downstream.

We have recently bought & intending to move to Agnes Water in November. There is no ADSL available.

Optus banned me for a constant 16k/sec upload 24/7, so 2 - 3 gigs a day file sharing. I thought I'd get a warning first as I've been doing this for at least 12 months, here & Sydney.
    Guilty as hell for excessive upload but upload is not metered & my netstats are under 5.

you can contact nella on 1300 884 638 and ask for david
    let him know that pugrambo suggested you call him about the above mentioned 2 way set up
    i have been an agent for this mob for a little while now and they have been more than helpful in anything i have put to them and are always improving their service
    also they are in the top 30 of ISP's in the country
    their site is at
    <a href="http://www.nella.net.au" target="_blank">www.nella.net.au</a>
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Stuey:

Stuey
    I can understand the frustration. I am in Bedford, and one of my brothers live in Morley and gets 45k connections. A mate lives in Bayswater (right next to Bedford), and is hanging off the same exchange as me, and he's got ADSL.

Craig - I have been stuck at 28k for most of the 6 years I have had net access. At one point borrowed at 56k modem I manage to get 40-44k connections. I was thinking, "Great, better connection speeds". Since then it has dropped to 28.8k. I think they have been splitting the line capacity because there is a lot redevelopment in my area, with quarter acre blocks being sub divided to fit 2 or more houses onto the blocks.

Troy.

<small>[ 27 January 2003, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: TroyO ]</small>

Thread Information