Everyone is selling!
  • Help

Everyone is selling!

What's the go?

It seems the used car market is very slow at present. I haven't had a decent enquiry which confirms what Continental Cars told me yesterday.

Is anyone else getting any interest with their vehicles?

Advertisement

Noted also, there are over 200 Pugs for sale on drive.com.au, over 30 more than last week, most are 306's.

------------------

jr
    alltho i do not have a car for sale i do have regular contact with the 2nd hand dealers thru my work, its the same for them the market is VERY FLAT. a few dealers locally are starting to close down so it usually means it is hard to sell privately as u were saying. new cars are selling well tho. its due to the Get Stuffed Twice tax

------------------

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

GST shouldn't be on 2nd hand cars... You see it's only on new stuff isn't it. If it's only on licensed car dealers, well then, the poor bastards, were all going to buy privately and avoid 'donating' more bloody money to the government aren't we??

I sure as hell would never buy from a licensed car dealer. They just buy from the auctions anyway. Go to the auction and save yourself the 3-4000. (they buy 2-3year old cars that still have factory warantys... Not dumb are they, they don't have to warranty the car.). In other words the auction cars have a warranty if you buy new enough!!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts
    Howdy,

GST is on most things sold by a registered person (that is, registered for GST), including second hand cars. As most dealers will be registered, you will be paying GST in these cases, but not if you buy privately.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Stuey's right Shane,
    In our case second hand parts have gone up 10% thanks to GST, new parts have come down as sales tax was 22% has been replaced by GST at 10%, so new parts have come down and used parts have gone up, I suppose the same thing has happened to new and used cars.
    Seeya,
    David.

David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Don't forget, though, that used cars dropped before the GST because of the drop in prices on new ones to keep sales going before GST came in.

I would have thought that the only component on new cars carrying the GST would have been the profit (if any)... well, the markup, as parts etc put in would bring some too.

1000+ Posts
    David, it's not quite that straightforward with 'ordinary' retail sales (including new cars), as sales tax was levied on the last wholesale sale price in the marketing chain, but GST is included within the retail selling price. So the 22% and 10% are not applied to the same figures - the sales tax didn't apply to the retail markup, which may be quite significant.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

That's right... one place I worked they had the list price and the retail price, and it didn't work out... until that was taken into account.

But what of the GST on second hand stuff?

Instead of buying your second hand parts from a parts supplier & paying GST, wouldn't it be possible to find someone with a wreck to do a cash transaction?
    It did not occur to me that s/h parts had GST, in theory I guess they should though (not that I agree with it).

I've been very pleasantly surprised by how much the price of 504 parts (new) have come down since the introduction of the GST. I recently bought a Valeo clutch and it was over $50 cheaper than the one I bought in 1997 (from the same place), and cheaper than the one I bought 10 years ago. The speedo cable I bought recently was about $15 cheaper than the one I bought in early 1998 (from the same place). Obviously I'm very happy about this.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

1000+ Posts
    Gibgib, by 'cash transaction' I don't know if you mean dodgy transaction, but it doesn't matter, because if you find a private party with a wreck, there will be no GST because the person most likely isn't registered for GST. They don't therefore have to charge it. And even if they are registered for some business or other, as long as they aren't selling the car part as part of their business operation, the price won't include GST. Note that not all businesses have to register, either, so not all of them charge GST.

It's a complex thing, though, for wreckers can get credits ('input tax credits') for cars they buy off Joe Public, theoretically reducing the cost to them, hence the price to us. Theoretically....

But the second hand goods system is so damn complex that many wreckers don't bother with claiming the credits.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Dave,

I wouldn't get too excited about the GST having any bearing on the price of parts. Recently in the UK, the price of BX Citroen parts took a big dive. It's a case of (particularly over there) a diminishing number of driveable cars which didn't use the expected number of parts coupled to the number of freebies for parts being left parked on the side of the road, with owners getting access to a lot of cheap parts through Internet forums (such as the BX Technical Q & A Forum) resulting in a surplus of over priced new parts becoming available.
    The reason the car market is dead (speaking as a former "tyre kicker") is that due to new car manufacturers bribing politicians (they prefer to refer to it as "lobbying" although I have written to several & asked at what point lobbying becomes bribing, it appears that is something they have not yet come to grips with) to discourage owning vehicles over about 6 - 8 years of age. In the wonderful world of cuckooland that bureacrats & pollies live, we should all buy a new car every 3 years (preferrably Holden, Ford or Mitsushitty) to be "economically responsible" & keep the country's motor industry viable.
    It is also a fact that when we have an election in the wind, sales particularly of Cars just seems to die until after the election regardless of the result. At the last election when the "turd with eyebrows" decided to make it a short campaign so that the political dickheads in this Country didn't have time to grasp on to the implications of the damage the GST would cause, the impact was not so great. This time when the same con artist is trying to get re-elected through bribery & any means possible, it has become almost a 12 month campaign, hence the damage will be a long lasting affair & I think you will find a lot of used car dealers will probably go down the drain in the process. Strangely enough, even if this clown were to defeat the odds & be re-elected (God help us) the sales of cars would go through the roof about a week after the result was declared.
    That isn't a politically biased opinion but the voice of a lot of years in the motor industry & many elections experience.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan,
    Did we touch on a nerve or something do we? I here what your saying about new car sales but what gets me is, whenever there is a hint of an election or a budget or for that matter the prime minister just farts the car markets stops, I mean everthing just stops, the phone stops and even break downs stop, got me buggered how a car, especially a French car knows not to break down because some big knob past wind.
    Your right about us buying new cars, it pisses the pollies right off at how old our cars are and down here we are conatantly arguing about anual roadworthies, when ever there is a change of government the old arguement come out about how dangerous our old cars are and they should be all off the road, luckily so far our pollies are smart enough to see how bad it would be to introduce this pollicy but one day it will happen.

David.

David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Alan,

I can't see how things will change much, regardlees of which party is elected. Compared to the politics in many other countries, the two main politcial parties in Australia have almost identical outlooks, regardless of the fact that they hate each others guts. It's like the protestants and catholics in northern island, they hate each other, but both groups act like idiots.

About the only real differences are that the Coalition is ever so slightly more heartless, and Labor is a bit more like a religion than a party (e.g. previous leaders are seen by most members as beyond criticism).

Despite these faults, just like residents of the UK, Canada, NZ and the US, we should think ourselves lucky to live in a place which doesn't have alot more volatile politics. That's why everyone is trying to immigrate to our countries.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Guys,

I was pointing out that from experience I have learned that every election (right down to local Council) causes a downturn in business, particularly the car business. Where I go ape is when I see the abject stupidity of firstly partially destroying small business through lies & deceit coupled to a massive increase in red tape, paperwork & decrease in cash flow and then these supposed expert money/business managers on 6 figure plus perks salaries then proceed to try to save their worthless hides by dragging a campaign on for the best part of 12 months with full knowledge that it is enough to fold many a viable business. Could be my history in a very competitive industry with a survivor instinct that tends to make me fume.
    FWIW, I may be getting back into radio again soon & I am seriously considering it as live interviews were my forte'.
    One of my favourite questions is to ask Pollies which motor car companies have contributed to their parties coffers, how much they have donated & which policies or ideas have been floated to potential members (such as annual roadworthies, paying people a bounty to trade their old cars etc) which will benefit these manufacturers if imposed and will these financial "incentives" be made public prior to implementation.
    If ever I get one to answer, I'll post what they say; In most cases when they know I'm doing the interview they want to control it which I won't cop so they shit themselves & run. Maybe one day

Alan S

The car companies are trying hard to create an artificial demand for their products. Someone should have the guts to tell them that their problem is over-production, and that this goes against good use of resources. Eventually all products get to a certain stage (usually when most of the main improvements have been made) and demand then drops off, because what's the point in replacing something that works perfectly? It is then that manufacturers try to create artificial demand for their products, which leads to a waste of resources and energy. They should just cut back on production and diversify into other products which have a genuine demand.

Companies seem blind to the fact that market saturation always leads to a drop in demand. Computer manufacturers can't understand why many companies have stopped buying their computers. It's not because they can't afford them, it's because they've got as many computers as they need already and they're all working fairly well. Previously computers were fairly clunky, so there was an incentive to update. Now they're more than capable of doing everything that most campanies need (with the exception of graphics companies) so there is a much reduce demand to upgrade.

We really need leaders which have the guts to say to companies "if your not happy with demand for your product, diversify into something else". Could you imagine book printers and publishers campaigning to have books destroyed after they are read once, just so they can sell more books.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alan S:
    I have learned that every election (right down to local Council) causes a downturn in business...
    Yes it happens that way... but can you tell me why?

No matter what happens in the election, people will still have their jobs, or most of them will... no matter what they have to eat, drink and inevitably get merry too.

The world will not stop, just like 80% of people stay home over the holidays, yet everyone expects that nobody is at home because it's holidays.

So demand will always be there for some things... and if you watch you'll see that after the downturn in the runup to the election, there is a rush just after, no matter what happens at the ballot box!

Another hump in the business world is Christmas, it's just crazy this one... consider your life if you ran a toy shop and had to order your Christmas stock in March.

During the second half of the year you might get some lay-bys, and there is a trickle of business, but by and large you are counting on a boom at Christmas to give you your year's income. What if you ordered the wrong toys? Or not enough of the big sellers?

Then there's the closing down of factories in December/January... I could go on, but you surely get the point...

Like me, life goes on, why do people have to pretend it's going to stop?

Ray,

It's simply a case that all parties (political & individuals) would have us believe that if the other gets in we are all going to be "rooned" as well as them all highlighting the gloom which normally surrounds us but we are oblivious to. With a council or State govt election, you can usually look on a 6 week doom & gloom period which means 2 months from announcement, things are back to normal. With this 12months caper it has to be a dubious tactic particularly if like me, you live in a high unemployment regional area where as one example, a shopping mall has only two of the original specialty shop tennants it had a year ago; the butcher & the newsagent, both of which are reduced to a staff of family members. That's when you see how harsh things really are & quite honestly, a lot of the businesses which have replaced the originals have also gone under & many are just hanging in; they don't need any more things working against them.
    I think I did the right thing retiring when I did

Alan S

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alan S:
    ...a lot of the businesses which have replaced the originals have also gone under & many are just hanging in; they don't need any more things working against them.
    Seen it all before... the right of the landlord to make a quid and damn everyone else... oh, no, local and State Governments are duly satiated with fees and charges and licences... The councils go on allowing developers to put in more commercial property than the populace can support... the mums and dads put their house on the line, spend their inheritance (and their kids' too) to get a business off the ground and keep it going till there's just none left... and there's always another mum and dad to pay the rent when that one's gone bust.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think I did the right thing retiring when I did
    I gather you were intent on leaving a job there for someone who needed it?

The scarey bit is that although the poulation has increased, the area of shopping centres hasn't. In regional Queensland the people just have not got the money to spend and as a result the increases in costs caused by all the loss of productive time due to red tape has to be absorbed either by the owner or through loss of turnover via increased prices. I was told yesterday that there had been 40 suicides in this area in the past 3 weeks; in a population of 42,000 that's an idea of how bad things really are. Those sorts of figures are often quoted around here. They are never posted in the media, but if you know a copper an Ambo or a Nurse, they soon confirm their accuracy. When you guys in the City areas hear about the "anger in the bush" that's some idea of the extent & the reason we see red. All it takes is our local Fed member ( a minister at that) to start spruking about how great the country's running & he has to get out of town until the locals cool down. He is impossible to contact because he knows how hostile the majority of people are to these destructive policies. He can be in the office & still will not speak to you on the phone; he relays messages through his secretary.
    As far as me leaving a job for someone else is concerned, I was crippled in an accident when a couple of hundred kgs fell on me & broke my back. I was doing very specialised trade work which then was spread amongst others in the same field. I was the biggest in my trade in this area & two other companies moved in to take over what I was doing. I received no compensation for the injuries, so I suppose it could be said that I did more than my fair share for the local employment situation.

Alan S

The part of Queensland I was in has had a vast increase in the commercial area, more, I'm sure, than the increasing population could support. Moreover, one of the new areas has drawn so much business away from an older one (and not that much older!) that it's virtually an empty shell now.

But I was thinking of what I saw in Penrith in the seventies and eighties mainly... families getting into business and going bust one after the other, and developers getting nice profits as they did so.

I recently learned that the statistics for small businesses are absolutely horrendous. Over 90% of small businesses go bust within 3-5 years!!! Small businesses are taxes incredibly high. One wonders if governments intentionally try to punish small businesses?

But on the bright side, globalisation offers a huge advantage for small to medium businesses. Despite the S11 morons (and other anti-global like groups) globalisation of markets does not advantage only big corporations. Small and medium enterprises have a bigger advantage by being more flexible and having less red tape. Business is tough but with a lot of initiative, creativity and flexibility (as well as hard work), the small guys can succeed. The world need not be so gloomy
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

Hey Bill,

Did you hear that the anti-globilization groups are going to protest at the Commonwealth Heads Of Governnment Meeting in Brisbane? The silly part about it is that they are protesting against elitist economic groups, but how can the Commonwealth of Nations be called elitist when 90% of the countries in the Commonwealth are developing countries? The meeting will be primarly discussing aid for those developing countries. If the protesters truly believe in their cause, then they should leave the Commonwealth meeting alone, so it has a chance to achieve something.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Thread Information