Welcome back AF
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Welcome back AF

Fellow Frogger!

Default Overhaul cost of Bx16v G/Box?

Assuming the g/box will only need new synchros and bearings and labour at around $50/hr, what would I be up for to remove the box, replace the above parts and refit to car?

Advertisement

How long's a piece of string?

It seems the "art" of reconditioning gearboxes has been long lost. Not all that many years ago, mechanics did them as just another job, but these days they all want to talk replacement boxes and seem to go on with more bloody dramas than "Days of our drearies" if it's suggested they work on the innards of one.
    I can see a day in taking in & out from go to ready to drive away, so say 8 hours there.
    Actual work I've never seen anyone spend more than 4 hours stripping, cleaning, stripping, fitting new parts and reassembling, so at worst say 12 hours.
    Based on that, I suppose $600 labour all up would be maximum.

These BE3 gearboxes would have to be one of the most bombproof gearboxes I have ever struck so be real careful that you're not helping someone live in a manner to which he has grown accustomed by diving in and getting the gearbox 'overhauled' as they rarely have these kinds of failures unless of course your car has done mega miles. I knew of one in the UK that had a badly worn selector fork at 575,000 miles but no other problems.
    Common causes of the problems you have mentioned are bent or cracked clutch pedal causing the clutch to not properly disengage and to show symptoms of sticky synchros, clutch cable on the way out (particularly fraying at the bend where it passes through the tube at the firewall,) cracking or flexing at the lever where the cable connects at the bellhousing and of course the most common of all, insufficient or incorrect oil used. Anything above 80 grade and anything but mineral seems to catch a lot out regardless of what they have been told by makers or anyone else.
    As too many of these guys send the boxes off for another party to have a go at, I've found usually prices in the region of $2500 for the job isn't uncommon and I'd suggest you take a real close look at the possible causes I've detailed above, as failure in these boxes going on the overseas experience with higher mileages, is more the exception than the rule.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

As far as I understand the gearchanges cannot be rushed especially 1st to 2nd or else it crunches.
    It's good to know these boxes are built tough though, so maybe it's not as bad as one thinks, at least I hope so!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Betcha the clutch is dragging slightly... Does it disengage right on the floor ?? I found unless I had mine adjusted right to the top of the clutch pedal it'd slightly crunch the 1st-2nd change... The problem being somewhere in the clutch mechanism, *NOT* the gearbox. Someday I might whip the motor out of that car and see what the problem was. I woudln't be surprised if it's something simple like the the pin through the throwout fork disitigrating ... or something simple like that. The clutch still had plenty of bite when it got parked up (it just couldn't be dis-engaged).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I've seen that 16 valve when I popped in to french garage to check up on the progress on my BX19....seemed nice...bit of damage to front bumper but not too bad and car speedo showed only 140,000!!....There was a Peugeot 205 guy there who seemed quite keen to buy it...guess what for!!!!
    There goes another one!!
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy
    I've seen that 16 valve when I popped in to french garage to check up on the progress on my BX19....seemed nice...bit of damage to front bumper but not too bad and car speedo showed only 140,000!!....There was a Peugeot 205 guy there who seemed quite keen to buy it...guess what for!!!!
    There goes another one!!
    ....................and you didn't run over him!!

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy
    There goes another one!!
    Don't tell me he wants to use the Bx16v engine/gearbox in his little shopping trolley??

WTF!!!

That's just not right, no way!!

sooooo tempted Alan!!! Not a bad 16 valve by any stretch...I think Macca's 16 valve was great value at $5k but that took a while to sell so this one at $3500
    may indeed end up being wrecked...at least you 16 valve guys out there will have a source of spares
    If I could sell my BX19 and appease SWMO I'd own it !!!
    Cheers
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Thread Information