Can LEDs be dimmed?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Can LEDs be dimmed?

I've bought an cheap icey oil pressure gague, the ones that alow you to switch between 7 or so colours,which is probably there due to the fact that all 7 suck, and you keep switching,hoping that the next one will be better than the last, but does anyone know if this type of LED light be dimmed by the dimmer pot on my OE gagues, or am I stuck with an omni-present piece of ice regardles of the brightness of the dash lights.
    Jo

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Pop some diode's in there...

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/dimleds.html

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Pop some diode's in there...

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/dimleds.html
    Thanks,nate.I guess thats a no then, without rising up the electronic learning curve, or geting one of my learned mates to help out.
    Jo

Just buy some resistors and you're set.

Talk to someone at your local Jaycar electronics shop, they'll help out with no sweat.

Cheers.
    -- DJ

Icon11 Easy!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Thanks,nate.I guess thats a no then, without rising up the electronic learning curve, or geting one of my learned mates to help out.
    Jo
    Jo, if you can work out how much current this nifty gauge draws for its LEDs, I can let you know the series resisitance you'll need to adjust its display. Then you can pop down to Dick Smith, Tandy or Jaycar and pick up the right variable resistor (potentiometer) and nice looking knob, or even slave it to whatever other brightness control you might be using in the dash, but you'll have to describe it in some detail.

The job should cost from $4 for the individual gauge brightness control to maybe $10 worth of homegrown circuitry to slave it to your existing control.
    Last edited by The Gonz; 5th March 2006 at 12:43 AM.

1000+ Posts

Jo
    You could just PM/call me

I could do that gonz,If I knew how to. Do I get the multimeter on amps seting and run the feed for the led through it to measure the curent drawn?If its that simple, I'll do that tomorrow morning.I was sort of hoping to be able to run it off the existing pot on the dash of the fuego,so all the gauges act in harmony, and was just going to try and jump a line off the back of the gauges, somehow.
    Thanks for your help guys,
    Jo

Icon11 Need to get inside the guage.

...I was sort of hoping to be able to run it off the existing pot on the dash of the fuego,so all the gauges act in harmony, and was just going to try and jump a line off the back of the gauges, somehow...
    I'm thinking you have to break into the gauge's circuit. You may be lucky and have a small trimpot in the inside to control overall brightness, in which case we can design a way of wiring that function over to the Fuego's control. Even better, there may be an input on the board for accepting a dimmer voltage. All conjecture until we see what it is. What's the gauge? Is it on the web somewhere? Make / Model number?
    Last edited by The Gonz; 5th March 2006 at 12:44 AM.

Icon10 Research shows ...

Jo, so far I've found Nexus and Matrix gauges do the 7-colour eye candy thing. Is it one of these?

I'm putting this one on the back-burnerfor a little while, as last night I did a three point tunt in a driveway, and screwed a foggie and its cover, and serated the bottom of my bumper.I'm going to spend the day swapping bumpers from the spare car,and putting my greenstuf pads on. I just did a dodgey last night of painting a bit of liquid paper over the offending led, and the brightness is satisfactory.I'll get back with some brand info later,as I still want to be able to dim it in harmony with the rest of the gagues.
    Stay tuned

I'm putting this one on the back-burnerfor a little while, as last night I did a three point tunt in a driveway, and screwed a foggie and its cover, and serated the bottom of my bumper.I'm going to spend the day swapping bumpers from the spare car,and putting my greenstuf pads on. I just did a dodgey last night of painting a bit of liquid paper over the offending led, and the brightness is satisfactory.I'll get back with some brand info later,as I still want to be able to dim it in harmony with the rest of the gagues.
    Stay tuned
    Jo,
    If you wire the power for the LED gauge light from the same circut/fuse that the gauge lights are powered from the gauge will dimm with the dimmer switch for the gauges!
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Thread Information