Someone pretending to be a cop
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Someone pretending to be a cop

Here's something to look out for.

I live and work on the North end of the Gold Coast. Heading to work this morning There's a section of road that leads to the highway onramps. It's posted as a 60 K zone, the road leading to it is 80 K zone for about 5 kilometres before this one section of 60 that leads to the highway ( Helensvale, if you know the area ). Everyone naturally goes at 80 and more as it builds to 110 K straight after.

I was following an 'Aussie V8' who was pulling away faster than me. Behind me a shiney black Commodore loomed up, going fast. Then as he got close, his indicators started to flicker with red and blue lights. Hell, unmarked patrol car I thought.

I started to think a whole stream of expletives, the flickering stopped. I thought "Oh he might just want me to pull aside so he can go after the 'aussie V8'"

So I did as instructed and using indicator and all ( being my law abiding self ) I pulled into the left lane. He then drove past, going past I then saw it was a riced looking Ute for god's sake. definately not a cop car. Personal plates something like V8S ...

Advertisement

He then caught up behind his fellow aussie V8 and merged with the highway traffic, I had caught back up and wanted to see if he did his trick to anyone else, not that I saw.

He's obviously rigged some set up he uses to get slower cars out of his way.

The flickering lights were kind of dim, but not missable. I wonder how long he can keep this game up before he comes unstuck.
    From the Family Guy lounge . . .

BRIAN: Let me get this straight....you're asking if they've ever done an episode of sesame street in which The Count kills somebody....and then drinks their blood for sustanence....

PETER: Yeah

BRIAN:
    No, i dont think they've ever done that

Mic_Col,
    That's unreal! You must have felt pissed off but he is ingenious, isn't he? He will come a cropper - the cops are not going to be amused!
    John505

Believe I've seen (NSW) detectives in cars with personalised plates - and no, not IMA-COP or something like that. Maybe QLD is different.

Cheers, Adam.

I noticed the other day at JB Hifi in the car audio section where all the neon stuff is, you can buy red and blue strobe lights that would fit nicely in behind your radiator grill. I though what a great idea, but obviously illegal!!
    Peugeot 206 GTi180 '04-I'm in love!

used to be a copper back in the mid-late 90's that got around sydney in a Porsche 993 C4S. He used to partol in the car too. Saw him give chase a couple of times. He just had a removable flashing light though on his roof.

Ive seen cops give chase who were driving a mini Coopers, I have seen the WRX cops cars chase (although not used anymore). I have also seen a cop in a bright yellow Holden GTS thingy with personalised plates (unmarked car).

You'd be surprised some of the cars cops get around in.

Any1 seen cops in Sydney still get around in Camry's and Magnas (to replace some of the V6 commy squad cars)? they aare all marked cars too
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Might be a couple of unmarked VR-Xs still; one at Hornsby possibly. Haven't seen a Camry for a few years.

the is a black SS Ute police car at the gold coast.

also SS sedans, with sun a sun shade, and a white Ute too. do the M1 and gold coast area.

i think one or a couple of those also have perosnalised plates

I spotted a black Holden ute on the Maryborough Road a few weeks back but he was checking the trailer on a wank tank coming back from Fraser Island.
    He was a Transport Department wannabecopper and they also often use the red & blue lights behind the grille (never have answered me as to whether it's legal for them to have them).
    FWIW, I know for a fact that a Traffic Cop lives just off the section of road you were on and Patrols from Sanctuary Cove to Helensvale, so maybe he was running late for work.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Don't be so sure..

Saw an XR8 and a one of the new GT Falcons in the past few weeks both with coloured "personalised plates" in NSW with car pulled over and concealed lights flashing...

There is a Nissan 350Z that patrols the F3 which is an unmarked highway patrol car... (mate of mine drives it and it works ouf of Hornsby HWY patrol)

And over the past few months have seen a Holden Maloo Ute, Black Rodeo Dual Cab V6 with tray cover and big shiny alloys all on patrol duty throughout NSW... so never assume.....

NSW HWY patrol are also taking delivery of some Discovery 3's all in different colours I am led to believe to patrol the Snow Routes this coming ski season and they will all be unmarked and fitted with Ski Racks and Euro Plates.

Much prefer plenty of patrols on the road keeping the d!ckheads in check than hiden speed cameras everywhere IMHO...
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

A couple of years back there used to be a unmarked red SS Commodore patrolling my area. The windows were tinted, with a huge Pioneer sticker across the back window!
    The blue and red strobe lights were mounted on the dash and on the rear parcel shelf.
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Originally posted by: Alan S
    FWIW, I know for a fact that a Traffic Cop lives just off the section of road you were on and Patrols from Sanctuary Cove to Helensvale, so maybe he was running late for work.

OOKKKKAAAYYY, good I found that one out.

During the day I had made up my mind that if I had that guy behind me flashing his lights, I'd give the middle finger and roar off.

I might mind my manners now

BRIAN: Let me get this straight....you're asking if they've ever done an episode of sesame street in which The Count kills somebody....and then drinks their blood for sustanence....

BRIAN:

Many many years ago in WA the police had a "bodgie squad" and there was a "bodgie cop" who drove an Austin Healey-proper one not a Sprite.

There was also a Mini Cooper S driven by a cop who weighed about 15-16 stone. It fell over in middle of city on corner of St.Georges Tce and William St one morning at peak hour. It turned left down the hill into William St. No more police Minis
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

Icon6

G'day,
    in the late '90's, they used to rent cars from the local second hand shop and fit them with all the neccesary lights and sirens. You name a car and that was used. Lately I have seen a red marked patrol car, in the western suburbs.
    And for those of you old enough, the Vic police used to have Ford Anglias, those with the reverse back windows.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

If you get pulled over in y home suburb, you can bet it will be an impersonator.You dont get cops in the northern beaches of sydney any more,and if there were,with the budget cuts, they'd be walking!! Todays local rag pronounced the sale of two police stations, Avalon, and collaroy.
    Jo

I recently thought I had a cop car behind me with red blue flashing lights
    I pulled over and the car, a Commode VU wagon went past..
    OK I thought, he's after some poor sod... but he stopped just up the road and I saw a guy get out and By chance he went into woolies supermarket ahead of me... anyway, I dedueced he wasnt a cop. I reckon the red blue lights were his headlights (Xenons ???) were going through different wavelengths ie. colours as they warmed up

confirm/refute??

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Default Just remembered something funny

This thread has made me remember something.

Driving along the same stretch of Highway, the M1 110 KPH speed limit a few years ago. There was a few workmates in the car. We had an unmarked cop car go past us. We all could see the shoulder straps on the guys shirt and on the rear parcel rack was a lights unit.

Conversation was obviously drawn onto the subject of the car.

One of the guys suddenly goes "Hey pull up alongside the passenger side, but do it casual ". This was odd but, yeah whatever.

So we do and he's looking over at the car, really staring. He does this for a while, then he sits normal and tries to play casual again telling us to move on. We're a little concerned with this action.

After we had some distance on the car he then explains what he was doing.

"I've heard that all cop cars are issued rego on the same day, its easier to do their book-keeping like that. So if you know what the rego date is you'll be able to pick cop cars".

Y E A H !

Great trick to have up your sleeve there.

Any advantage of spotting the cop car is totally blown by the fact that you have to pull along side and stare right in at the passenger side windscreen.

Try doing that while driving and you and the cop will have plenty of time to talk, both of you might be in the same room in the hospital.

BRIAN:

All Queensland Police cars used to have October rego stickers.
    Don't know if that's still the case, but it was when budget allocations came through.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Afaik The NSW police fleet has a march Rego date.

Tim

Default different cars

Currently on the highlands we have a VW golf unmarked doing radar around schools with plenty of unmarked Magnas on the M5. Usually going to the College of Knowledge in Goulburn. A couple of white Falcons are also doing the rounds between Picton & Mittagong.

Bon chance

Telstra vehicles around here have a rego date of end of march I think. not going out to check as still in my jamies

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

I would formerly have agreed with Tim K, as I had made the same observation, that all NSW cop cars were regoed in March.

But I have recently been looking at the stickers of marked cars, and found it to no longer be the case.

Chris

UPdate:

This guy ain't no Five O. I saw him again this morning, followed him.

I had the 'nads this time to stick close and give his car a good looking over.

He has a company sticker in his rear window. I was able to confirm who the company are, looked in the yellow pages on line. The company is in the correct direction to where he was travelling. Plus I was able to get a firm read on the numberplate.

Should I post it here?

I am now tossing my options, do I call the cops and tell them what this guy does?

I had been thinking of some 'get square' but have decided against it as I don't need an enemy who travels the same road to work at the same time as me.

But like what are the cops gonna do?

BRIAN:

I saw a Magna copper in a rush to get somewhere last week it has it's lights flashing and sirens blaring it was flooring it up the road and went outta sight in a flash. Wierd stuff. It went pretty hard from the of things.
    On the North Shore u get heaps of Magna marked cop cars and u dun see too many V6 commy's anymore. But they're still around.
    You usually get the commys and paddywagons at the parties that i go to and they rock up in packs.
    HAHA I got pulled over by a real cop car yesterday. (Marked White Magna)
    It was a chick cop and she was alone. And WOW!! she was as fierce as a bull can be. I was with Joel (STALLED) and it was funny shit.
    Owen

I think the police need to be informed of this guy impersonating an officer. He's (from what you say) doing it for pretty selfish reasons.

Interesting "spot" the other day was a foil tint across the top of a car's screen. It appeared silver from head-on, yet was engineered so that when you glanced at it from the side, it looked red one end, and blue the other... Look from the other side and it swapped. Shifty!

Regards, Adam.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_Col
    UPdate:

He has a company sticker in his rear window. I was able to confirm who the company are, looked in the yellow pages on line. The company is in the correct direction to where he was travelling. Plus I was able to get a firm read on the numberplate.
    Should I post it here?
    Sure, Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_Col
    UPdate:
    I am now tossing my options, do I call the cops and tell them what this guy does?
    But like what are the cops gonna do?
    Wouldn't hurt to call them. They will do what they will.

If they have enough calls, they will do more. I don't think they would appreciate somebody impersonating them.

You could also call the company, they won't like it if their staff are playing up in a company car. Gives the company a bad name.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information