Scratched car door, opinions please
  • Register
  • Help

Default Scratched car door, opinions please

Hi, I'm asking for some opinions for a friend of mine. Recently whilst shifting into a new flat she accidently scratched a neighbour's car door with her car door. I saw it, the car is dark blue and there is a little chip of paint missing, about 15mm x 5mm. She was very apologetic of course and has offered to pay for it to be fixed. The fellow claims he has a quote and is asking for $360.

Advertisement

My friend does not have that sort of money, being recently a single mother with a young child. She would be willing to pay him when she can save up. My question is do you think it is a fair price, what other options could she have? Ie get another quote herself. It sounds like his quote is for the whole door to be sprayed. She is in Ashburton, Vic, if you know of a place in that area that can do those sort of repairs. She was asking my advice but I wouldn't know. I said I'd ask on the forum.

That price would (should?) reflect a higher-end repair job. If the paint is metallic, then that is part of contributing factors.

If the owner is being a p***k about it, she should withdraw any offer to pay. He'd then have to make a civil claim with irrefutable proof of her causing the cost to him.

Otherwise, if she could scrape up the money in one lump, agree to pay the panel beaters while the car is in being fixed. If she wants to pay the fellow but has to do it $30 at a time or something, he should invoice her first stating the date, terms and cause and full amount (with referral to an attached quotation), and she should document every payment. Your friend would need a complete copy of this invoice, too. Make payments by traceable means like a M/O and photocopy them.

Sounds like a really nice guy, demanding money from someone on the low-income fringe with their hands full already. As long as your friend keeps track of any discussions or agreements, she'll be OK.

Regards, Adam.

most insurance excesses would be around $300 (or less), might be cheaper just to make a claim?

Hello Kaye

It might even be beneficial getting some quotes from one of those mobile paint guys they can work out a bit cheaper sometimes.
    Im sure some of the Melbourne people would be able to put some recommended names out there.

Good luck to your friend.

nlq206
    2001 Platinum Silver 206Gti
    2005 Aegean Blue 206Gti180

Personally, if she scratched my cars door I would want a good repair done. Wouldn't you?

That is why I choose my own repairers with my Insurance.
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by addo
    That price would (should?) reflect a higher-end repair job. If the paint is metallic, then that is part of contributing factors.

Regards, Adam.
    Thanks for replies, it's not metalic paint, just a deep darkish blue.

Thread Information