not a falcadore wagon for under $10k?
  • Register
  • Help

Default not a falcadore wagon for under $10k?

well i'm on the hunt for a car for my step brother. Has to be mid to late 90's at least, and preferably not a falcadore. I was thinking 406, but they're still to expensive. A 405 would be ok, but they're a little dated now. has anyone got some decent thoughts?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

He wants a wagon?

Has to be a Mitsubishi Magna.
    Tim

2013 BMW 320i Touring M-Sport xDrive (Estoril Blue)

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    He wants a wagon?

Has to be a Mitsubishi Magna.
    yeah he wants a wagon. Magnas are ok?

hmmm, magnas have a tendency to crack blocks between 2 and 3, seen it on two differant magnas, friends dad finally gave up on them after the second one.

he also wanted a wagon and hasnt had any trouble so far with his scooby doo forester (had it for about 2 years now) all wheel drive instead of front wheel drive, tows his huge caravan really well.

what about maybe a SII 505??? (if you can find one)

havnt had any experiance with the camrys, but they might be another option? Australian made?????

what about a volvo, as much as they are bagged, they are still quite a nice car, and they are comeing back on the scene.

That's a no brainer...!!!

XANTIA Wagon.... worth the effort to find one and within your price range me thinks...

I would also consider a Volvo 850 (I would avoid the turbo though)

We had an 850 S in the family and sold it after 185,000 totally trouble free and rleiable klms.. they are also great buying 2nd hand and there a lots of low klm ones around with good service histories...

He may also want to look at a Saab 9000 CS (mid to late '90s) they are a hatch with the space of a wagon... All very different cars and I'm sure all would generate strong opinions....

For mine the Xantia wins hands down...
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

No magnas,
    had one, heap of problems and a whole heap of petrol
    05 206 GTI 180
    04 407 ST
    94 306 XT

Forget Mitsubishi all together. Neighbour of mine just doesn't learn. Had three of them, each have had cracked heads, blown welch plugs, leaking transmissions. They had a poojero once, got stuck in 4X4.

A mate with a Lancer has had to return his car back to the dealer every 2 months, and now it's out of warranty and he kept it Fun times!!!

The new Magna's sales are so low and worse then Mutsi Aust. expected, that even though the CEO or whatever clown is running the show (poor bloke) said that there would not be any discounting on this model. Has just dropped the price of a new Magna down to $29,990. Bad for a few reasons, 2nd hand market just dropped with it, and it's a sure indication that the company is starting to clutch at the last straw.

I see Mitsu Aust heading in the same direction as Daihatsu. Closing it's doors and attempting to move it's workshop elsewhere.

I have a 405 mi16, I also have a Foulcan wagon. With me, it's the right tool for the right job. I drive (when It's running) the 405 in light traffic, sunday's, etc. and the Foulcan in peak hour, lugging my music gear around, carting mates to an event, etc. You have to admit, even though the Foulcan is a boat to drive, the handling is woddy, the brakes are woody, everything feels like... well.. nothing... no feedback, they do get you from point A to point B well.

I know a lot of people are going to say, so can my Cit or Pug or Reno. I'm sure too. The Foulcan is a car I don't have to work on every day.

You just have to decide what your needs are. Any car at the end of the day can be good or bad. I use to own a 4X4, why? because I went camping a lot, off road just about every weekend. Why did I sell it. I wasn't using it for it's purpose anymore. If I don't need the Foulcan anymore, I'd probably sell it and get myself a nice 505 wagon.
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    well i'm on the hunt for a car for my step brother. Has to be mid to late 90's at least, and preferably not a falcadore. I was thinking 406, but they're still to expensive. A 405 would be ok, but they're a little dated now. has anyone got some decent thoughts?
    Mate, check the sales websites. There was a guy up on the sunnie coast selling a 405 SRDT wagon when I was looking for a car late last year. He was firm on the price but if he still has it he would be keen to sell. Very likely he still has it as it was only a couple of months ago.

Chris
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

1000+ Posts

Get him to check up on Xantia wagons if you like, and Saab 9000 are highly capacious, so they may suit.

But all this stuff about Magna's is absurd. They are exceptionally reliable cas if maintained properly. Like any used car.

The original Magna was not reliable, and I'd stay well clear of it, people complain about transmissons up till TS, but I think by 1995 they were well and truly sorted. But every subsequent model has been fine. For $10k you could get a TE/TF if not newer Wagon, which is brilliant value.

For $10k I'd have thought you'd be getting a pretty ratty 850 wagon, but could be worth investigating.
    Tim

XTC

You can get 1998/99 Camry wagons with 100,000kms on them for $10-11K. You KNOW they'll keep going and going.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    You can get 1998/99 Camry wagons with 100,000kms on them for $10-11K. You KNOW they'll keep going and going.

- xTc -
    True, but make sure you get the V6, as its performance is barely adequate, let alone the rubbish old 2.2 4cyl.

The Camry wagon does not have as much room either I don't think. But yeah, reliability is not questioned.

EDIT: should this thread be in the Toad Pond?
    Last edited by Sergetov; 23rd February 2006 at 09:54 AM.
    Tim

Get him to check up on Xantia wagons if you like, and Saab 9000 are highly capacious, so they may suit.

But all this stuff about Magna's is absurd. They are exceptionally reliable cas if maintained properly. Like any used car.

The original Magna was not reliable, and I'd stay well clear of it, people complain about transmissons up till TS, but I think by 1995 they were well and truly sorted. But every subsequent model has been fine. For $10k you could get a TE/TF if not newer Wagon, which is brilliant value.

For $10k I'd have thought you'd be getting a pretty ratty 850 wagon, but could be worth investigating.
    Rubbish, of course there will be some reliable ones, but the mitsu's I was referring to were all recent models, at most, 3 years old.

When I was looking for the Foulcan, I found many Camry wagons. Cheap too, but I just didn't like them, no power, reliable - YES, but also not much room.
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

Fellow Frogger!

If we're just being practical, a Sube Legacy
    unfrogged (for now)

XTC

EDIT: should this thread be in the Toad Pond?
    Probably, but it's an Orestes thread, he still hasn't figured out this is a French car forum (if posts about cars of late are any indication).

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Tadpole

(Quote: what about maybe a SII 505??? (if you can find one))

I still have my series II 505 GTI wagon for sale!

you think I asked on a french car forum to gain information on magots, foulcans, and camrys?? What I was trying to glean some info on was alternatives, so to anyone who thinks i'm asking for reccomendations of other stuff... yes it is helpful, but it's not entirely nescesary.

OK back on topic. Xantia wagons still seem to be around the price of 406 wagons, and I think the other contender is the 405, there is a nice late model series 2 one here as HKP pointed out, but i'm thinking he's going to think it's a little dated and maybe a little slow with the SRDT engine though I would definately like some proof otherwise. in other words, how would an SRDT engine in a big wagon hold up against a falcadore 6 cylinder.

it wouldnt .........

They are 2 completely different beasts.........haulage on a smaller basis is obviously 405s forte...and the economic benefiets are rather obvious....
    Otherwise, the falcodore is more than capable....
    I really liked the 405 srdt and still regret not buying it...it is a very adequate/capable vehicle....need getting used to get the best/most efficient power/acceleration out of it but otherwise very relaxing....
    Like I said, completely diff. beasts but in this economic climate I know which one makes more sense.............But recommending cars for other people is a complicated business and best avoided......
    405srdt is a gentlemans vehicle...very very civilised.

cheers

dino

Default xantia

My father in law is toying with the idea of upgrading his 97 Xantia wagon. It is a fantastic car heaps of power and gets great fuel economy as well. He's looking at getting a new pug diesel. I think Xantia wagons are worth about the $8000 mark these days.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Orestes, your brother needs to look at what he'll be doing with the wagon, and how long it will be kept. Possibly then, any expectations of resale.

The shortlist for me @ $10K roughly would be either late '90s Camry wagon for lighter loads and shorter trips, or an AU Falcon wagon for more lugging and longer hauls. Fairmont if you can; less NVH.

There's an EA or EB wagon down the road from me at $300 - four weeks past rego time. Quite reasonable bodywise.

Cheers, Adam.

Default wagon for under...

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    orestes,
    Allow uncle Wildebeest to pass on one of life's lessons.
    Never recommend any make of car to relatives or friends, particularly any French car you may have a leaning to.
    Reason? If anything goes wrong you will be damned for life.
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 24th February 2006 at 07:11 PM.

Thread Information