Voiding Warranties
  • Register
  • Help

Default Voiding Warranties

Had a discussion with a work collegue today who ownes a late 04 Corolla and she was saying that she has to get her car serviced at the Toyota dealership where she bought the car from, as if she doesnt her warranty will be voided. Personally I think this is a load of BS and told her so rather nicely.

I serviced the previous car whilst under warranty at various Pug dealerships and nothing was mentioned to me about only sticking with the one I got the car from. The same will go for the 180, at present I work close to Booran Euro so thats going to be the service department of choice, or AutoParis if I can get over that way.

Am I wrong in thinking that as long as its done by a Pug (or Toyota mechanic in my collegues case) mechanic it shouldn't matter where it gets serviced and that a warranty can not get voided under those circumstances.

Ta

Advertisement

nlq206
    2001 Platinum Silver 206Gti
    2005 Aegean Blue 206Gti180

Actually, you don't even need to service it with the manufacturer to maintain the warranty - the service centre needs to only follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

It's BS .. although the service must be done as per handbook (time, kms, parts etc), suggest that your friend rings Toyota customer service and REPORTS the dealer.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

As long as the service schedule the manufacturer supplies with the vechicle is followed and the invoices clearly state this and the work is carried out by a licensced vehicle repairer then the warranty is NOT compromised in any way.

A lot of delaers are offering extended warranties beyond the statutory one supplied by the manufacturer and insist that the car is serviced by them ALL ALONG from day one in order to apply the extended warranty.

I know that when we bought a new car for SWMBO that was the case.. the dealer offered an additional 3 years and 50,000klms but all services had to be performed by them from day one.. totally unrealistic and inflexible.
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

something I have always thought about is that if my Peugeot dealership, who services my car, would install say, for example a K&N induction kit, built for the 180, without voiding the warrenty... I mean, I though a better induction kit is healthier for the car!!!

Or what about a devil exhaust system, also made for the car

I've had my car serviced at a pug dealership from day 1. However when I enquired about performing modifications etc to the car they were quite helpful. They said if It was the direct cause of a failure then warranty could be an issue. They said that my K&N filter & cold air intake was fine and even if I wanted to "chip" the car it wouldnt be an issue. I guess it all depends on your relationship with the service manager/dealer principal.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    They said if It was the direct cause of a failure then warranty could be an issue. They said that my K&N filter & cold air intake was fine and even if I wanted to "chip" the car it wouldnt be an issue. I guess it all depends on your relationship with the service manager/dealer principal.
    What they SAY and what they DO when presented with a warranty claim can be two very different things, a relationship with the service manager/dealer principal* (who in your case doesn't even visit the dealer once a week) I doubt will mean much when $'s are involved. I'm sure any MUX problems would be attributed to a "chip" - hey they blame light globes that are none genuine.

Err on the side of caution is all I'm suggesting.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

I think its a consumer rights thingy...

You cannot stop someone else offering the same services type of thing.

some large printer companies tried to stop people using non-branded ink/toner cartridges etc, but as long as they're made to the same manufacturing standards they cant void a warranty etc.

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    What they SAY and what they DO when presented with a warranty claim can be two very different things, a relationship with the service manager/dealer principal* (who in your case doesn't even visit the dealer once a week) I doubt will mean much when $'s are involved. I'm sure any MUX problems would be attributed to a "chip" - hey they blame light globes that are none genuine.

Err on the side of caution is all I'm suggesting.

- xTc -
    Your right - I wouldnt suggest doing anything like a chip (which the guys at powerchip claim lots - including it being invisible to a diag 2000) but unless I had something in writing then I'd be very cautious... Hence why I didnt do the chip (the doubtful claims were one other thing too) and why I now own a great pair of speakers
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Default Voiding Warranties..

Despite all previous "postees" annoyance in staying with the dealers service plan there is one big advantage.
    If owners stay with the dealers service at least for the first two or three intervals there is the advantage of receiving any factory updates and information.
    Remember that not all updates etc will come under a recall unless safety related.

Wildebeest is spot on... the joys of computerised cars... !!

So whenever the car is due for an "intermediate service" ie an oil change in between scheduled services and all new cars have provision for this in the log books I have seen... you book it into the dealer complete with your own Oil and have them do the intermediate service and give specific instructions to "please check for any software updates or factory notices"....

Usally costs around $75.00!

We don't do this every time.. typically every second so in the case of SWMBO 4wd it's every second 7,500klms as the primary service intervals on it are every 15k...

You can also ask an obliging service department to mail you or email you whenever there are service buletins or software upgrades issued and ours has done this quite happily.

It's interesting to compare service experiences:-

Our 4wd is NOT European either was my wifes previous run around.

The dealer has never complained about us providing oil
    Never complianed about us only taking it to them for every second intermediate service
    Never failed to respond to a service / warranty issue or complaint and all they ever do is refer to the service book and make sure it has been stamped by a licenced vehicle reparer and they check the invoice to make sure it says "as per service chedule"....

Come to think of it her previous car was bought new from them and sold at 90,000klms (in three years) and there was NEVER a warranty issue in that time apart from a clock that didn't keep time and was replaced and a Stereo that failed and was also replaced... both 3rd part items mind you

Her current car has now done 21,000klms and it has no missed a beat either...

It's all about attitude I guess.. and we wonder why there are so many Korean cars on the road... perhaps to the "average" motorist who doesnt drive over speed humps at 120klm or wants to 4 wheel drift around corners this type of attitude and RELIABILITY are more important.....to them...

BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Thread Information