So you think we've got it bad!!
  • Register
  • Help

Default So you think we've got it bad!!

In the UK some London BMW dealers are charging up to 140 UK pounds per hour for service.

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-article.aspx?NA=218700

The article says that in some cases it is cheaper to stay for a night in a hotel near a cheaper garage and get your servicing done there!

Advertisement

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith
    In the UK some London BMW dealers are charging up to 140 UK pounds per hour for service.

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-article.aspx?NA=218700
    Anyone know how much an Australia city dealer charges? I'm aware some city pug dealers are $110, while some country dealers are as low as $75.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

My time seems to average ... about a couple of beers an hour if I'm tinkering on my cars

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

uhmmm...yes.....but we have them here 2....

Had a lady come in a few days ago....blown rear brake light....when she heard it was $3 something she went on to tell me that her EUNOS dealer charged her $88 to replace two rear globes and a headlight bulb.............

OUCH

I have very non-mechanical friend with a H****n As** who told me this morning that at the last service the service receptionist told him that he needed to pay for a "fuel clean" or soemthing similar to remove the black dust from his wheels, which they said was from the carbon in his fuel.

I told him in no uncertain terms what I thought of it, but this is someone who has no mechanical knowledge or feeling whatsoever (he has trouble driving a Mac!!), so he is ripe to be taken advantage of by anyone who sees him coming (and this despite being a lawyer).

In such a situation I can't see what someone like that can do except take along a friend who can see through the Bull****.

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

UFO

It's getting more like that phony radio phone call where they call a lady and tell her she needs the headlight fluid replaced. Really, some people deserve to be taken to the cleaners. These would be the same people that would argue corkage charges at a restaurant though

Remember too, that the UK costs in pounds what we pay in dollars. They also earn the similar scale. eg earn $70 000 in Aus and for a similar job in UK get 70 000GBP or sometimes more. So all in all it comes out similar. (Correct me if wrong Smiffy)

Mind you that is why Pommy tourists LOVE Australia. Even after factoring in the 48 hours of flying, when they get here they can stay 5 star for what they would pay for 2 to 3 star at home. (and still whinge about the lizards in the bidet...)

Think we'd better hit Smiffy for a few beers at Cit In!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Remember too, that the UK costs in pounds what we pay in dollars. They also earn the similar scale. eg earn $70 000 in Aus and for a similar job in UK get 70 000GBP or sometimes more. So all in all it comes out similar. (Correct me if wrong Smiffy)
    Only partially true. If you read the article they compare to other expenses... like a doctor being cheaper than a BMW mechanic. Or a Vauxhall mechanic being A LOT cheaper than a BMW mechanic. Basically you get ripped off. But it also explains why a late model BMW 850i can be bought for free. Changing the 12 spark plugs will cost at least 400 pounds in labour, plus the parts. So you are looking at AU$1500 before you've done anything meaningful.

Last time I flew into London for the day I spent a fortune doing and buying absolutely nothing. Got to love that place! It just eats cash like there's no tomorrow.

Patrick
    605SVE

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by dino
    Had a lady come in a few days ago....blown rear brake light....when she heard it was $3 something she went on to tell me that her EUNOS dealer charged her $88 to replace two rear globes and a headlight bulb............. OUCH
    True, but it's reasonable, SOMEONE has to pay for the guys wage, super, entitlements, garage space/buildings, electricity, water, tools, insurance, administration, paperwork and the parts (parts almost being the smallest element ).

Yes sounds like a rip off, but it's a business. Best part is, you can choose another business if you're not happy.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

nobody ever complains when they buy a pair of jeans or a shirt that cost $2 - $5 in labour and material cost for $100+

Same s**t different smell!
    C4 Exclusive 2.0l Blanc Banquise

Beautifully said Simon.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

True, but it's reasonable, SOMEONE has to pay for the guys wage, super, entitlements, garage space/buildings, electricity, water, tools, insurance, administration, paperwork and the parts (parts almost being the smallest element ).

Yes sounds like a rip off, but it's a business. Best part is, you can choose another business if you're not happy.

- xTc -
    yeah, I understand all of this (have worked in a few dealerships).....Still doesn t explain how you can walk into an autobarn on a quite day and have your $6 dollar wiper blades fitted for nicks.....I ve done this hundreds of times, just part of the service if your customer is an older lady with arthritis or the customer is clueless....
    I ve fitted many many rear and front end globes for free as well.....On majority of cars its a TWO to THREE minute exercise (most customers change their own so it can t be that hard or time consuming).

Worst part of your explanation is that in this instance (and I m sure many others) it doesnt make sense...as this particular lady has realised that she "was" ripped off and will never go back there again....So who is going to pay for the mechanics wages, entitlements now....? Another victim......
    Friendly and 'honest" service/and cost goes a long way in being and staying profitable....

cheers

dino

Quote Originally Posted by dino
    as this particular lady has realised that she "was" ripped off and will never go back there again
    Word of mouth, your best advertising or your worst enemy.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Smiffy will be able to elaborate, but that's definitely not true. A senior engineer with say 15 yrs exp would be around 100-150K over here (most disciplines, mining is a bit more). In the UK the same engineer would be on 45K pounds..50K tops, if he was working in London.

It varies a bit in different fields, but for most professions the salary between oz and uk is definitely not 1:1.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Thread Information