Renault 19 automatic
  • Register
  • Help

Default Renault 19 automatic

OK, im not buying a renault, for those of you who may be wondering why this peugeot driver is asking about them....

my best mates dad is looking at buying one, it has 107000 on the clock, its a 96 model (i think) and its automatic.

the price he can have it for is 1000 bucks, its got a stuffed gearbox, its stuck in 1st.....otherwise he says the car is in PERFECT condition.

so, are these automatics available? does anyone in brisbane have one?
    in general are they a good model of renault?

hes asked me to ask all of you, because if he can get a cheap auto box for it he will buy the car, and he said he'll pay me and my mate (his son) to get the box and put it in for him.

Advertisement

i have no experiance at all with renaults, but an auto should just be like anyother aye? he asked me what i thought about the r19's and i said i honestly dont know what they are like......so what can i tell him?

thanks
    Owen.

Hi Owen,

my father has worked on the R9s autos before and he has indicated the gearboxes are a handful to work on and repair. Through his experience and me assisting him with his struggles I would strongly advise against a couple of guys having a go at replacing/repairing one. Dad had +35 years working on French cars so he had a reasonable idea what he was doing......

Regards
    Lucien

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 123abc
    OK, im not buying a renault, for those of you who may be wondering why this peugeot driver is asking about them....

my best mates dad is looking at buying one, it has 107000 on the clock, its a 96 model (i think) and its automatic.

the price he can have it for is 1000 bucks, its got a stuffed gearbox, its stuck in 1st.....otherwise he says the car is in PERFECT condition.

so, are these automatics available? does anyone in brisbane have one?
    in general are they a good model of renault?

hes asked me to ask all of you, because if he can get a cheap auto box for it he will buy the car, and he said he'll pay me and my mate (his son) to get the box and put it in for him.

i have no experiance at all with renaults, but an auto should just be like anyother aye? he asked me what i thought about the r19's and i said i honestly dont know what they are like......so what can i tell him?

thanks
    Owen.
    Hi, you'll need to do a proper pull to bits job, overhauling it. You can just get worn bits replaced (as many workshops do or get a masteroverhaul kit at a few hundred pounds). A second hand one might cost you 500 to 1100 and may develop the same problems sooner or later.
    Suspect these transmission problems on the 19 are often due to lack of oil changes or wrong oil or both.
    The car is good transport with nice torque characteristics for NORMAL driving. Comfortable and reasonable to good handeling.
    At 100 000 plus you also should change the timing belt, check valve clearances and at about 150000 oil will start leaking from the crank (but this is common to just about all cars afaik)
    Some mechanics (technicians) say they are 'shit' to work on - posssibly an excuse to charge extra. But this is only a reflection on their abilities. They are no worse and probably better than some other makes with the same configuration. I find them easy to work on.
    My toughts - if you depend on the trade to fix and maintain a R19 etc. you must find a competent and honest repairer, if not do it yourself.
    Good Luck, Jo

Renault 19s are orphans, even the Renno devotees seem disinterested. They are a lovely car to drive, especially the late models.

They eat autos and they are neither easy or cheap to fix. And any fix is temporary, they are a poor design and will need to be rebuilt more than once.

It's a lovely car for a great price yes, but the previous owner has priced the repairs for the box and they are jumping out now, unloading their problem on you.

DON'T TOUCH IT!

Buy a lovely R16 TS instead. An underrated ugly duckling brilliant car

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Find yourself a manual gbox and do a conversion. I've driven several R19's, there a good little car...... However I personally found them a great dissapointment for a Renault.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

There's a member here who sounds like he may know something about them.

R19 Auto ECU & pressure switch

From what I've discovered about BX and Pug autos, it seems that many get destroyed through incorrect servicing and I can only conclude the same may happen with these.
    My suggestion would be to get a hold of the service records, see how it was serviced and what has been used in it, which "faults" have been rectified and compare this with the makers recommendations. This way you might get an idea if you have a car with a dodgy designed gearbox that will be a constant source of problems or a car with potential to be made a good one that has had problems given to it due to wrong fluids or other things.
    I always have problems coming to grips with the suggestion that a long established manufacturer who has made millions of cars can suddenly produce a car with an inherant fault and continue to keep making more all containing the same fault. To me, that doesn't answer to reason.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Default Auto to manual

Buy it... Pull the motor and gearbox...Import a turbo diesel and 5 speed...fit it and drive a real car. (Emphasis is on "drive".)
    Seriously, the 19 is a beautiful car to drive in manual form, however drivers/owners of auto cars seem to have the impression that autos need no maintenance! I agree that they are now regarded as "orphans" but that is no reflection on their pedigree or engineering quality, only on their market.
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

Thread Information